PDA

View Full Version : LPP primer preference...

deputybpfife
03-14-2013, 04:09 PM
If we weren't in this climate we're in, which LPP primer brand would you buy and why? Just curious what everyone's take is on brands.

douglas_knott
03-14-2013, 05:42 PM
I usually bought Winchester primers for the most part. I did pick up some TulAmmo large pistol primers the other day though I haven't tried them yet..

sdmc530
03-14-2013, 06:12 PM
I have used:
Federal
Federal Match
CCI
Remington

They are work well but if I had to pick one it would be CCI...the best packaging size......They all go bang when htey are supposed to that is all that matters to me.

BadOscar
03-14-2013, 06:19 PM
My preference is Federal primers because they are the softest and ignite with lighter firing pin strikes than anything else I know of. In my race guns i'm running light main springs and Federal is the only brand I have not yet experienced at least 1 light strike. Supposedly CCI is the hardest but I have had less light strikes with CCI than Winchester and Remington put together. So CCI would be my second choice based on reliability of ignition. Some say magnum primers are a little harder but in my experience none of my guns have ever had a problem with Federal Magnum primers. I have only tried Federals brand magnum primers but I run them in a lot of my light 9mm loads and occasional in my 38 Super when I cant find standard primers.

DrHenley
03-14-2013, 06:20 PM
I like CCI because they have less tendency to flip over while sliding down the chute in the hand primer, and because they require less force due to the slick surface (compared to Winchesters for example)

I used Winchester, CCI, and Wolf in the past few years (whatever I could get my hands on), but used CCI almost exclusively way back when. I am now using TulAmmo because it's the only thing I could find.

titanse05
03-14-2013, 06:46 PM
I have used Winchester and CCI and I prefer the CCIs. Both got the job done though.

DaFadda
03-15-2013, 06:32 AM
I've tried most of the players out there.... Fed, Win, CCI, etc.... and I just don't see much difference between them and Tula LPP. Except the price. Last time I bought, Tula was 17.99 /k and CCI was $31/k. Both fit my cartridges, both go bang when trigger pulled.

I'm guessing that if I was a National Match Shooter, or competing for $$$, or shooting Elk at 1800 yards....maybe I'd go for CCI... but fer now...plinking and target shooting.... I'm quite happy with Tula.

DaFadda