PDA

View Full Version : Squib Question

sdmc530
03-15-2013, 05:42 PM
This actually a serious question:
What happens when you do have a squib load, the primer go bang, the bullet does what? I know a few people have had one, I never have (yet) but does the bullet even travel? Does it get stuck in the barrel? Just curious...
thanks.

deputybpfife
03-15-2013, 05:53 PM
I haven't had the opportunity to make my own yet, so I can't answer. I'm interested in the answers, too, though.

Grouse
03-15-2013, 06:08 PM
why are you asking us? isn't this a PM thing?

lol

I don't reload, but i have had probably 20 or so. The first major ones were in my HK usp. the first round fell out of the barrel when i tilted the barrel down . about 100 rounds later one lodged both rounds came from the same box of reloads (before modern re manufactured ammo). I stopped buying basement reloads. I do buy modern re manufactured.

The rest have all been from 22lr. Most recently it fully cycled the slide and chambered the next round in my mosquito. That 2nd round pressfit the barrel to the slide. I had to take a 3lb sledge to separate the two. Sig replaced the barrel and got it all sorted out for me.

NAMVET72
03-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Usually you get the Bullet Stuck in the Barrel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Then you have the fun of getting it out with a piece of wooden dowel rod..................

Sounds to me Phil if you found out the hard way......:D:D:D

Clyde

wxl
03-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Had a few when my progressive (550) ran out of powder. Primer usually will push out, one far enough into barrel, once just far enough to lock up cylinder. Rare one will fall out of barrel, bullet has to be way undersized. Had to beat the hell out with a wooden dowel. If really stuck, you may need a brass rod.

AutoMag
03-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Phil, most likely the bullet will travel just a bit, enough to become lodged in the barrel. If you are lucky the barrel will not be damaged but you will need a wooden dowel rod to dislodge the round.

I have never had that happen to me but I have seen it at the range.

What is bad though is another round fired right after the squib load if you are not paying attention.

Lane
03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
I've had a couple - the bullet will just enter the barrel enough that you have to pound it out with a dowel. When it happened to me, there wasn't enough power to cycle the slide, and with ear protection, I barely heard the primer pop.

sdmc530
03-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Huh....NOOOOO I didn't have one, yet, but I am sure there will be a day. I was just curious what happens. I can see the danger though, if you are not paying attention and you fire a second round if you are able to that is and hit the lodged round....I wouldn't want to find out how that would go.

Dave Waits
03-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Well, according to a local, well-known expert on the subject, one requires the use of an Oaken Dowel and a hammer because the primer has enough to drive the bullet into the barrel. But, it does extend the life of a pound of powder.

sdmc530
03-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Well, according to a local, well-known expert on the subject, one requires the use of an Oaken Dowel and a hammer because the primer has enough to drive the bullet into the barrel. But, it does extend the life of a pound of powder.

funny

skosh69
03-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Somebody say squib??? Where, where, where??? Huh, huh, huh??? :eek:

Like others that have experienced the misfortune of said squib, normally the primer only has enough oomph to push the bullet into the barrel far enough to prevent full cycle. Thus not permitting another round to be chambered, no matter how hard you slam the back of the slide with your non-firing hand. :facepalm2:

One then has to clear said jammed weapon, disassemble it and dislodge said bullet from it's hiding place in the barrel and then reassemble weapon to further enjoy the days adventures. :cool:

That is unless it happens again and possibly a 3rd time, then the annoyed RO might just suggest that you return home with your box of screwed up ammo and rethink your abilities to load your own ammo. :(

Are we clear on the subject now? I'm here all week. Try the veal. nanner

Dave Waits
03-15-2013, 09:26 PM
I love ya Brother! ( The Veal is a little greasy, order the Corned Beef Brisket).

AutoMag
03-15-2013, 09:49 PM
But if a little powder goes into the case then it could possibly cycle the slide..........I have also seen that done a time or two!!!

sdmc530
03-16-2013, 09:29 AM

Yep....got it..thanks!

AutoMag
03-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Don't forget that some still shoot revolvers!!!

skosh69
03-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Don't forget that some still shoot revolvers!!!

Great comment John, I'm going to wing it but here goes my .02:

This could be a lot more of a dangerous situation because there is nothing to stop another round being fired since it's a revolver, unlike a semi-auto that generally won't allow another round to be chambered.

Your attention to hearing would be the only thing saving possibly your health and your gun from destruction.

John, thanks for the reminder about revolvers! Seriously, THANK YOU!

AutoMag
03-16-2013, 07:35 PM

This could be a lot more of a dangerous situation because there is nothing to stop another round being fired since it's a revolver, unlike a semi-auto that generally won't allow another round to be chambered.

Your attention to hearing would be the only thing saving possibly your health and your gun from destruction.

I agree Ellison!!!

Riverpigusmc
03-17-2013, 10:52 AM

Which is why I wear amplified noise cancelling muffs

Riverpigusmc
03-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Somebody say squib??? Where, where, where??? Huh, huh, huh??? :eek:

Like others that have experienced the misfortune of said squib, normally the primer only has enough oomph to push the bullet into the barrel far enough to prevent full cycle. Thus not permitting another round to be chambered, no matter how hard you slam the back of the slide with your non-firing hand. :facepalm2:

One then has to clear said jammed weapon, disassemble it and dislodge said bullet from it's hiding place in the barrel and then reassemble weapon to further enjoy the days adventures. :cool:

That is unless it happens again and possibly a 3rd time, then the annoyed RO might just suggest that you return home with your box of screwed up ammo and rethink your abilities to load your own ammo. :(

And there, as Paul Harvey eloquntly stated, is the rest of the story funny

Big Smoke
03-17-2013, 10:58 AM
I've had a couple squibs over the years, but that's it. Surprisingly, it wasn't from my reloads, but factory ammunition. Both were in my S&W 686, and both got lodged in the barrel. Luckily for me, I had been told I should keep a wooden dowel a few inches longer than the barrel, so if I did have one, I could push the lodged bullet out with it. A 3/8 wooden dowel did the trick on a .357.