PDA

View Full Version : Got a new reloading toy today

sdmc530
03-18-2013, 07:21 PM
So my ultrasonic cleaner deal fell through, but while talking to one of the folks they told me about a guy who had a chrony for sale. I shot him an email and got the Chrony F1 the base model for $50. I figured for that price it was a good deal as long as it works. I know I didn't need it but think it will be fun to have it. Can't wait to fling some shots through it. I am sure I will hit it someday but for now....I will get a range report the same time I get to get a range report for my 10MM.....

Riverpigusmc
03-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Kewl beans. We don't NEED any of the toys we have. Well, I DO need my pistols. And my rifles and shotgun. And most of my knives. And my tools. And my truck. But that's all. My smokers..I need my smokers.

Mush on out there in that "snow" stuff and give us a report :p

sdmc530
03-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Kewl beans. We don't NEED any of the toys we have. Well, I DO need my pistols. And my rifles and shotgun. And most of my knives. And my tools. And my truck. But that's all. My smokers..I need my smokers.

Mush on out there in that "snow" stuff and give us a report :p

the snow is not the issue, its the 40mph winds and the negative wind chill. I need to get it done, I know.....its killing me.

ronpaul50
03-18-2013, 11:35 PM
the snow is not the issue, its the 40mph winds and the negative wind chill. I need to get it done, I know.....its killing me.

I have to mow the lawn tomorrow. Try an indoor range.

Dave Waits
03-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Uh...A chronograph is indespensible to any serious reloader. Velocity equals pressure, if you're seeing a lot more velocity( At least 50fps more) than the manual says you should at that charge-weight, you're at max pressure for YOUR gun. No two guns are the same, no two will show the same velocity or, even close to the same velocity with any given load.

KeystoneWeaponBK
03-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Uh...A chronograph is indespensible to any serious reloader. Velocity equals pressure, if you're seeing a lot more velocity( At least 50fps more) than the manual says you should at that charge-weight, you're at max pressure for YOUR gun. No two guns are the same, no two will show the same velocity or, even close to the same velocity with any given load.

I agree with Dave, a chrono is a really great tool to have and they are fun too, they give you an idea of consistency and allow you to collect interesting data that will help you develop your loads as well as determine power factor accurately and see what different velocities translate to grouping and pressures, I just have a cheap blue chrony but it does the job and was like $99... Worth every penny and I can use it easily due to its portability and versatility as a companion to all the data I gather, I'm kinda a spreadsheet junky :-)

sdmc530
03-20-2013, 08:09 PM
I agree with Dave, a chrono is a really great tool to have and they are fun too, they give you an idea of consistency and allow you to collect interesting data that will help you develop your loads as well as determine power factor accurately and see what different velocities translate to grouping and pressures, I just have a cheap blue chrony but it does the job and was like $99... Worth every penny and I can use it easily due to its portability and versatility as a companion to all the data I gather, I'm kinda a spreadsheet junky :-)

Yep, I can not wait to start tracking numbers myself...got the F1 Green the green one but got it used for $50. I had to buy one metal rod and a new battery, I have $60 in it. Can't wait to try it out.

wxl
03-21-2013, 10:20 AM
I resurrected a chrono when I started loading 6.8 SPC last year. Most recipes have been 'home recipes' because most books only carried original 6.8 SPC loads and not the improved SPCII loads. Had one I used quite a bit in Australia in the 1990s and sat unused until last year.

Have an ultrasonic and jury still out. Have not noticed much improvement in brass cleaning over media tumbling. Just ordered a Thumbler for wet stainless media (3 weeks backorder)