PDA

View Full Version : CaChing!! Love new AR owners!

DaFadda
03-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Ok... so I was at the indoor range yesterday afternoon. Nice... in and of itself... Me, a couple of revolvers.... and an hour or two to spare. Two bays down.... a shooter who is just banging out 5.56 from his brandy new Ruger SR556 Piston gun. Sooooo... me being me.... I strike up a conversation...

"Nice rifle... is that the Piston gun from Ruger?

YES... this is the first time I've had it on the range. I just bought it! But I ammo is so hard to find, and I have to use frangible ammo here at the inside range....

"Yup.... protects the steel backstops.... Hey... can I guess at what the gun cost you? I'd say.... somewhere between 1900 and 2200...."

No Sir.... It was $2700. (Yes, he said Two thousand Seven hundred from a private sale here in CT) FIRST CA CHING ! The gun lists for about 2000 from Ruger!

"Wow... you did well I guess!" (yup, I can be a bit smarmy and sarcastic all at the same time)

"Do you reload?"....

No... I'm just starting out.... I found this ammo on the web brand new... so I bought it.

"Mind if I take your empty brass? I reload". (once fired brass.... I can feel myself getting excited)

Sure... go ahead.... (Ca Ching! number Two. Has anyone tried to find 5.56 brass lately?)

250 rounds on the floor before he left... and it's all in my tumbler cleaning itself up rather nicely as I write!

Roverron
03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Good for you! he sure got taken on the gun price! and I'd bet he bought ammo at a ridiculous price too! The gun itself is a nice gun but not at that price.

Grouse
03-22-2013, 08:39 AM
i sold my two ars yesterday one ar15 10 mags 590 rounds of ammo. my ar15 with 22lr upper and 3 mags for 2500.

sdmc530
03-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Nice find...they are smart.

Boats
03-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Nice Mike!

I still have a couple thousand 5.56 brass, but no bullets. :)

I don't shoot the rifle all that much - just enough to maintain proficiency, so don't go through too much ammo.

I guess I have a few thousand rounds lying around. One day I'll do a bulk buy and set up for the next batch.

I'll never part with my post-ban Bushmaster. It's about as ban-proof as you're likely to get. I've got a collapsible stock on it, but that can go if need be. I still own a number of 10 round mags along with a closet full of GI and Magpuls.

I was going to have the barrel threaded for a can or a flash hider, but decided not to a few months ago when things started looking tenuous.

Like many, I'm just laying low and waiting to see what happens.

Tom

Roverron
03-22-2013, 06:16 PM
I've got 4 now in .22LR, .223, 300BLK and 6.8, I like them all esp. the SBR in 300 BLK. Plus my SCAR in.7.62/.308. I guess I don't need another but I do want a can for the short barrel, that's my next thing to purchase and one more scope or ACOG or something. Mags have been tough to find since the AWB crap.

captaint
03-23-2013, 03:40 PM
One of the guys at work just bought a piston driven AR last week for 1200 plus tax. I forget the maker. Nobody I ever heard of. He got a carbine. Brand new shooter. Just joined the NRA for life. He even needed advice on cleaning supplies, etc. One more dedicated shooter. I'll have him loadin his own soon. !! HA. Mike

MPrimo
03-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Mike, I thought things were getting better but I saw a Ruger AR go the other day for $2600 ... and a Stag Model 6 (heavy barrel) go to $2500. The world is clearly going to end. I am just finishing up my second AR build in the past few weeks cause I buy the parts right (when I can find them) and can ask crazy money for them.

Problem is ... I end up liking them and keeping them~~~~~~Dummy!

skosh69
03-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Padre, you are a man after my own heart!

I always do that at the range. I scope out my prey, casually walk up and strike a convo with them and within minutes, I'm scrounging their brass for my own goodness...

(evil laugh) Muwahahahahahahaha

DaFadda
03-24-2013, 05:49 AM
Buwwwwwwaaaaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa.... Brass scroungers forever!

RevM
03-24-2013, 07:30 AM
One of the guys at work just bought a piston driven AR last week for 1200 plus tax. I forget the maker. Nobody I ever heard of. He got a carbine. Brand new shooter. Just joined the NRA for life. He even needed advice on cleaning supplies, etc. One more dedicated shooter. I'll have him loadin his own soon. !! HA. Mike

Mike,

I don't know of any "no-name" piston AR builders. Just because you don't know the name of an AR builder doesn't equate to low quality ... in fact it's often just the opposite. Many small custom AR building shops build AR's that are FAR superior to the Names You Must Know.

Those big names ... Bushmaster, DPMS, Stag ... even to a somewhat lesser extent, Colt ... are mass produced conglomerations of mil spec parts.

Mil spec doesn't mean better ... just within tolerance. That's why a lot of AR's from the big names rattle like a can full of marbles and shoot 3 MOA.

Small shops that take a bit more time can pick and choose parts that fit together better than just mil spec and can easily shoot sub MOA.