PDA

View Full Version : anyone use

Riverpigusmc
04-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Trail Boss or Unique? W231 and HP38 is nowhere around..before I spend money on anything else for .45 acp, like to hear from folks I trust (even Ell)

DaFadda
04-03-2013, 07:22 PM
I've used Unique in my 357 rounds. Tried it in 45 and wasn't fond of it. I know you can't find much out there, but if you have to... my recommendation would be a 8# bottle of Hodgdon's UNIVERSAL Clays. I use it in all loadings (45acp, .357, 38). Relatively clean burning and cuts easily in my RCBS Uniflo powder measure. That powder has become my go to for most loads.

Keep in mind, I guarantee someone will say "that's not MY favorite powder." In fact... EVERYONE has their favorite. I started on Bullseye, and I still like Bullseye. It was good enough for Grandpa's 1911 in WWII, so it's good enough for me. lol

DaFadda

ColMike
04-03-2013, 07:28 PM
I use unique and did a long time ago as well...in my first reloading life. It has fallen out of favor as new powders have 'better' performance but I consider it an old faithful. OTOH, if you get yourself over here, I have serveral pounds of W231 we can come to terms on. Not worth shipping cause of hazmat.
Mike

sdmc530
04-03-2013, 07:40 PM
I started using unique, didn't think it was great in 45...so I went to 231 and have not looked back...so I don't have much experiance with it, used about 1/2 lb of powder and gave the rest to my brother.....

Riverpigusmc
04-03-2013, 08:38 PM
I use unique and did a long time ago as well...in my first reloading life. It has fallen out of favor as new powders have 'better' performance but I consider it an old faithful. OTOH, if you get yourself over here, I have serveral pounds of W231 we can come to terms on. Not worth shipping cause of hazmat.
Mike

plan is to head over there after the wife gets done with her idiot bacholorette debauchery in my

skosh69
04-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Just for that smart azzed comment...I will not share my W231 with you...all 6 lbs of it I'm sitting on....:cool:

DrHenley
04-03-2013, 09:45 PM
I LOVE Trail Boss in anything .45! I was using it a long time in 45 Colt before trying it in 45 ACP. I was having bad leading using HP-38 and cast bullets, and since I didn't have leading in the 45 Colt, I tried Trail Boss to see if that helped and it just about eliminated the leading.

Meters better than I expected. With an old Bonanza powder measure it's right on the money every time. With an RCBS measure it varies a little but still accurate.

Now I use it with both cast and jacketed, same load for both - 4.5 grains with a 230 grain pill. No leading with straight WW. With softer lead I get a little streaking near the chamber in one or two grooves.

RandallZ
04-04-2013, 12:33 PM
I've used Unique. It goes bang, but seemed a bit dirty. These days I'm buying all sorts of new powders I've not used before. All part of the interesting times we lie in....

Dave Waits
04-07-2013, 04:17 PM
I LOVE Trail Boss in anything .45! I was using it a long time in 45 Colt before trying it in 45 ACP. I was having bad leading using HP-38 and cast bullets, and since I didn't have leading in the 45 Colt, I tried Trail Boss to see if that helped and it just about eliminated the leading.

Meters better than I expected. With an old Bonanza powder measure it's right on the money every time. With an RCBS measure it varies a little but still accurate.

Now I use it with both cast and jacketed, same load for both - 4.5 grains with a 230 grain pill. No leading with straight WW. With softer lead I get a little streaking near the chamber in one or two grooves.

Doc, how can the powder used have any effect on leading unless you were driving it near max charge? Velocity is what causes leading. I'm a big fan of HP-38/WW231 in the 45 and also Unique. No problems with lead buildup at all.
Average velocity for my HP-38 loads is 835fps.

DrHenley
04-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Doc, how can the powder used have any effect on leading unless you were driving it near max charge? Velocity is what causes leading.

Dave, I am not an expert on such matters, so I would refer you to this page:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_7_Leading.htm

There are quite a few different causes of leading, and if velocity were the sole cause I would not have had any leading because my velocity was pretty low! I assure you I DID have leading.

I bring this paragraph to your attention:

The other issue here is that the slow pistol powders reach their pressure peak when the bullet is an inch or two in front of the forcing cone, when the bullet is fully supported and contained by the barrel. Sealing and lubrication are fully functional in this environment. The fast pistol powders reach their peak pressure when the bullet is in the throat or traversing the cylinder gap. This is fine if the load involves modest pressures, but if a plain-based cast bullet is subjected to magnum pressures as it crosses the cylinder gap, then serious leading problems can arise. The take-home lesson here is to not use fast powders for magnum pressure levels in the first place! Just match the powder to the pressure curve.

Keep in mind these were light loads, right at the power floor for CDP class IDPA. My (non-expert) opinion is that peak pressure was not being realized with HP-38 quickly enough, causing some leading near the chamber in the barrel due to gas cutting of the bullet. Switching to a quicker powder caused the bullet to "bump up" quicker, resulting in full obturation sooner.

Boats
04-11-2013, 01:41 PM
I've used Unique. It goes bang, but seemed a bit dirty. These days I'm buying all sorts of new powders I've not used before. All part of the interesting times we lie in....

I still use Unique sometimes and have a largish stash of it. I load both 45 and 9mm with it and have not noticed it being particularly dirty.

I have, however, seen others say so.

YMMV :)

Tom