PDA

View Full Version : Federal Primers???

skosh69
04-14-2013, 11:43 PM
I just picked up a couple hundred Federal primers in a deal that I got and noticed a couple of things.

One was the idiotic packaging that Federal uses. Seems like a waste of money for all the extra plastic used for the tray and the fact they are stored on their sides..makes it a PIA to flip them all in the primer tray.

Second was that they were soft and malleable. I'm not reloading master by any means and have only used Winchester primers so far. But using my RCBS hand primer, not one of the Federal primers seating without some distortion. I've never dimpled a WSPP or WLPP. I called a buddy and he said the same thing was just told to him, that they're softer than CCI or Winchester.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I certainly hope that the 200 rounds that I loaded will be issue free other than looking a wee bit dimpled.

I would have posted pics, but I hit them with a magic marker ( gots to find them later at the range...:D ) so you can't really see the markings, but if you'd loaded these before, then you know what I'm talking about!

Thanks.

BadOscar
04-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Yep, Federal primers are the softest. They ignite easier than all the rest, and your much less likely to get a light strike with Federal's.

skosh69
04-15-2013, 12:15 AM
Whew..that's good to know! Thanks Alex. And before anyone ask's...I put powder in the cases!!!

DrHenley
04-15-2013, 07:49 AM
Yes, idiotic packaging and soft. The softness is good for accuracy work because as was pointed out above, it means easier ignition. Not so good for rifles susceptible to slam fire, and they do mash easily when seating.

sdmc530
04-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Can't any other info on them but I like them because they do fire nicely...but soft.....never had any issues with them though.