PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Holsters and Western Rigs.

RockIsland1911A
08-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Starting this thread to record all the different shoulder rigs and western rigs that i wil be making.
Start it off with a shoulder rig i just finished for either a commander or full size 1911, two tone single side vertical shoulder holster.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Creepers-Dad/websitesales017.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Creepers-Dad/websitesales019.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Creepers-Dad/websitesales020.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Creepers-Dad/websitesales022.jpg

torinalth
08-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Not a complete fan of the basket weave on the holster portion it's self, but overall it is seriously sexy. I told you I want one for winter wear. I love he coloring, love the style, and just gimme the holster portion without basket weave and I'll be sensing you more cash. Very nice John. Ellison

RockIsland1911A
08-09-2011, 09:53 PM
would it be ok, if it had basket we every where else, like it is, just with out the weave on the holster if so, this one would be ready to rol, fairly quickly?
John

Neener Neener
08-09-2011, 10:31 PM
I am not normaly a fan of a basket weave, but that rig looks prety darned sharp!

Sheepdog
08-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Nice looking rig John. Do you use Chicago screws to adjust it?

RockIsland1911A
08-09-2011, 10:42 PM
I am not normaly a fan of a basket weave, but that rig looks prety darned sharp!

I was throwing the idea of replacing the area with basket weave, with snake skin.
Suppose to be getting a copperhead skin, that would look pretty darn nice.

torinalth
08-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Yeah, the basketweave is great for accents, just soon the entire holster body is overwhelming.... Makes me think amish. The accents on the straps go properly and work great with the colors. Body of the holster needs something, not sure what, the basket just does not suit it.

Never seen snake skin, so can't comment on how it'd work, but id probably say no based on the assumption it would be more delicate and would get ruined (I am guessing). I could see striping, or..... Actually, shark skin or elephant would be nice in tis instance..... Money though.

The holster part, is it molded or just gun shaped?

RockIsland1911A
08-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Very very lite shaping, so that the holster stay put when you draw out of it. Takes a little practice to i might add, but after a bit, iwas drawing out of it like a champ.

Lane
08-10-2011, 02:41 AM
That's really sharp looking, John. I've never tried adding the tooling like you do, it's got to be time consuming. I like the look especially on the straps - I actually don't mind it on the holster body, but I imaging you have to be careful not to mung it up when you wet mold it. I've never tried a shoulder rig - looks like you've got the design figured out.

One comment - I usually like to have the entire trigger/trigger guard area covered to reduce the risk of something grabbing the trigger and causing a AD.

Other than that minor nit - nice job!

Lane

torinalth
08-10-2011, 09:58 AM
One comment - I usually like to have the entire trigger/trigger guard area covered to reduce the risk of something grabbing the trigger and causing a AD.

exelent point. I completely overlooked that myself. for a 1911 with a thumb safety its not as dangerous, but if you used a striker gun like an XD, glock, or M&P then all you have is your trigger finger. I would agree on the slightly higher guard for the trigger being a worthy alteration.

RockIsland1911A
08-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Great point Lane,
and that is the reason why i post these things up. I can only do so much brainstorming by myself, i need more brains, and that is were you guys come into play.
Lane- You are correct the tooling is for sure very time consuming, but i like the over all look of it. As for wet forming over the tooling, you lose a bit of detail , and you have to let partial dry before for boneing, and even then i only use my finger tips, no other object to press in the detail, or you will actually smash and distort the tooling.

AutoMag
08-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Looking good John......looking good!!!!!:)

douglas_knott
08-23-2012, 04:17 PM
I don't think John come's around anymore. :(

NAMVET72
08-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Doug is correct since John found a job, he is now spending his time working.....

Clyde

douglas_knott
08-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Doug is correct since John found a job, he is now spending his time working.....

Clyde

And I lost his number so I haven't talked to him.

AutoMag
08-23-2012, 07:55 PM
John has a web site www.gleasoncustomleatherandknives.weebly.com

AutoMag
08-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Oh his web site is an RIA Tribute knife pictured. I bought it a while back so that is not available!!!:):)

ABC3
08-24-2012, 08:06 AM
John, looks very nice. My only comment would be concerning the trigger guard. Never liked the exposed version. Too big of a chance that your finger falls on the trigger when drawing.

Other than that - nice disign.

Congrats