PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions ... Please

MPrimo
08-09-2011, 09:07 PM
All ... just got a great deal on an unfired Springfield Micro in 45. I have read both good and bad about them on other forums but I am looking for any first hand experience from people I trust. I am aware of the geometry compromises in a 3" 1911 but still want one to carry. I had a Kimber Ultra CDP for a while that shot really well once the external extractor was replaced with the conventional version (sent it back to Kimber). I got rid of it because it was ... well ... a Mimber.

Anybody had (or have) one???

THANKS!

230gr
08-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Wish I could help ya, I've only heard the standard "< 4.25" and it's trouble" sort of talk around the 'net.

Hail Caesar
08-09-2011, 10:12 PM
They can be a pain with tuning, but you can do it. And once you get it right they run fine. But you HAVE to keep up on recoil and mag springs as they are not forgiving to deteriorating spring rates.

MPrimo
08-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks HC ... That is what I am hoping!

Mike

MPrimo
08-18-2011, 09:38 PM
I finally got to the range with the Micro today. Only had time for 100 rounds (I was shooting a match while I was there ... and serving as an RSO). I only brought WWB ammo but the little Springer ate every one of them without issue. Fairly accurate and easy to control to boot! Obviously 100 rounds does not a reliable carry gun make but I am encouraged. No pushing home the first found and no slow RTB. Cool! Now I can go ahead and get rid of the ambi safety (which I will not carry) and push the round count up over 500 to ensure function (including a bunch of JHPs). Oh ... and I will post a pic because I know how much we all like pics!

MPrimo
08-18-2011, 09:52 PM
... some crappy pics!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/MPrimavera/DSCN0727.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/MPrimavera/DSCN0732.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/MPrimavera/DSCN0733.jpg

Riverpigusmc
08-19-2011, 10:37 PM
pretty pistol:) Just change the recoil spring every couple thousand rounds

stumpjumper
08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
I've got the next size up-V10 Ultra Compact. It's been 100% through about 150 rounds- 185gr to 230gr.

MPrimo
08-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Just finished fitting a Wilson Thumb Safety (right hand ... I won't carry an ambi) and a matching Wilson BP Slide Stop. Now she is set up just right. Will put another couple of hundred rounds through her on Thursday and see how it goes. So far ... I like!

Thedragonslayer
08-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Just finished fitting a Wilson Thumb Safety (right hand ... I won't carry an ambi) and a matching Wilson BP Slide Stop. Now she is set up just right. Will put another couple of hundred rounds through her on Thursday and see how it goes. So far ... I like!

Good deal Mike, glad she has worked out for you. Keep us informed as you break her in.

noel

230gr
08-22-2011, 08:18 PM
nice lookin Roscoe you got there!

Kokopelli
08-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I enjoyed the Micro that had back in 09. I ran about a thousand rounds through it. It shot very well and only balked on feeding Speer Gold Dots. The Kimber Ultra's I had at the time wouldn't feed them either.. I had a brass takedown fitting made to that sure speed things up.. I have the dimensions if you want them.. Actually, I believe I still have the part.. Ron

MPrimo
08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
I enjoyed the Micro that had back in 09. I ran about a thousand rounds through it. It shot very well and only balked on feeding Speer Gold Dots. The Kimber Ultra's I had at the time wouldn't feed them either.. I had a brass takedown fitting made to that sure speed things up.. I have the dimensions if you want them.. Actually, I believe I still have the part.. Ron

Quite honestly ... I haven't taken it down that far just yet. I will let you know if I run into issues when I do.

THANKS!!!

MPrimo
08-26-2011, 06:26 AM
Put another 150 through the little Springer last night and again, she ran 100%! First 125 or so were WWB and the last few mags were Golden Saber 185s (my defensive load choice for small 45s). The new slide stop and right handed (only) safety worked perfectly. Confidence is building! She does shoot a tad low with the WWB ammo (6" at 10 yards) ... not as bad with the Golden Sabers (2 to 3 inches). I believe this is a common issue with short barreled 1911s.

Kokopelli
08-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Mine liked the GS 185's as well.. All my 3" 1911's did actually.. If I remember correctly, mine required covering the target with the sights spot on. It took me some time to learn to shoot the 3" pistols and then it was difficult to go back to the longer 1911's. I eventually learned as the 3" was so short, I couldn't feel a deflection in angle (or tilt) like I could with the longer pistols. A locking the wrist issue I believe. Certainly a different feel to shooting them.. Ron

MPrimo
08-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Ron ... I agree, it is different. I am now able to shoot pretty good groups with the gun. I couldn't say that after the first couple of magazines. It has grown on me.

If I fully cover the target with the front sight using the GS 185s then it is close to right on ... certainly good enough. I will only carry those rounds as they are both accurate and easy to shoot because of the reduced bullet weight.

Best,

Mike

DaFadda
12-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Here's my carry 3" microcompact. It has been flawless. I've never had a ftf or fte. Probably have 750-800 rounds through it. So comfortable to carry, especially in a Crossbreed supertuck holster. (not pictured of course). I carry commercial JHP rounds, but reload and shoot Montana Gold JHP's. It feeds all hollowpoints like butter n' silk. Enjoy your new micro!!!
DaFadda

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/DaFadda/P1020456.jpg

MPrimo
12-20-2011, 05:08 PM
I have carried the Micro a bunch since break in and it carries like a dream. She is a keeper! Glad to hear your Micro has run well too, Fadda! Sounds like a CT thing!

DaFadda
12-20-2011, 05:30 PM
@mprimo... thank God that CT isn't a big state. Want to get together ? I'm down in the Bridgeport AREA... not Bpt itself. Except for work

DaFadda
12-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Someone asked me why the words "MicroCompact" stand out so well. The secret is: Automotive touch up enamel, carefully applied, then a quick wipe with acetone to remove any surface paint. It's impervious to Hoppes or much else!

MPrimo
12-20-2011, 07:48 PM
@mprimo... thank God that CT isn't a big state. Want to get together ? I'm down in the Bridgeport AREA... not Bpt itself. Except for work

I will be carrying more than a "micro" if we would be meeting Bridgeport!:D
I am in Orange (too close to New Haven) but was born and raised in Milford so we are fairly close. Where do you shoot? Maybe we can meet up there ... so long as you don't try to convert me;)

DaFadda
12-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Bridgeport Shooting Range. I would be a regular there. PM me and we'll set a date. I also know a close by hot dog and beer place for afterward.

Thedragonslayer
12-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Oh the little love birds are singing again!!!! We may have another relationship in the brewing!!!:D:D:D

Ya'll better take pics!!!!

DaFadda
12-21-2011, 05:49 AM
@ Dragonslayer.... and you KNOW you cried when Old Yeller died.... didn't you? You did! And what about when the little boy shouts "SHANE! SHANE! Come back Shane! We love you Shane!!!"

In fact... I belive that everyone who ever owned a 1911 has cried over Shane and Old Yeller. So there!

And yes... we'll take some pictures, mostly of my 1/4" 5 shot groups shot at 100 yards off handed, all done while clearing a noobie's brand new Les Baer, WHILE I'm eating a Subway sandwich. ALERT :bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs: ALERT!

Dafadda
(Think I need to give myself confession and absolution after this post!