PDA

View Full Version : Kimbers Are Multiplying!

Olympus
08-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Never thought it would happen, but Kimber is slowly winning me over. I was so impressed with that last Stainless Target 9mm that I just had to have a matching pair....with the other in 10mm!

So I happened across a good deal on GB for a brand new Stainless Target 10mm for $975 and free shipping. And no FFL fees for me anymore,so that was my OTD price. So I got home and tore open my box to see my new gun. Holy smokes is this thing nice! I did a strip job on it and took Gun Scrubber to strip all the shipping oils off. I looked the gun over with a fine tooth comb. I'm pretty blunt in my opinions of guns and it takes a good bit to impress me. This gun is top shelf in terms of build quality. Not a tooling mark to be found on the outside OR inside. The barrel bushing is a very tight fit. A wrench was necessary. I applied my favorite lube and put the gun back together. First thing I notice is how tight the slide to frame is. Love that part. Next thing I notice is how smooth it cycles. Very very very close to my Dan Wessons on fit and how the slide cycles. I'm going to be spending some time working he action and dry firing before I take it to the range. Only thing that was mediocre was the trigger. But I suspect it will improve with use. All in all, easily the best sub-$1000 1911 I have ever seen.

ronpaul50
08-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Figured out who you're going to get grips from? :)

Nice score.

Olympus
08-23-2013, 10:16 PM
I've always got a spare set laying around.

sdmc530
08-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Good find, nice price too. The 10 is awesome. I would love to get my hands on another 10MM...the Kimber is a nice 10MM...

Never thought it would happen, but Kimber is slowly winning me over. I was so impressed with that last Stainless Target 9mm that I just had to have a matching pair....with the other in 10mm!

So I happened across a good deal on GB for a brand new Stainless Target 10mm for $975 and free shipping. And no FFL fees for me anymore,so that was my OTD price. So I got home and tore open my box to see my new gun. Holy smokes is this thing nice! I did a strip job on it and took Gun Scrubber to strip all the shipping oils off. I looked the gun over with a fine tooth comb. I'm pretty blunt in my opinions of guns and it takes a good bit to impress me. This gun is top shelf in terms of build quality. Not a tooling mark to be found on the outside OR inside. The barrel bushing is a very tight fit. A wrench was necessary. I applied my favorite lube and put the gun back together. First thing I notice is how tight the slide to frame is. Love that part. Next thing I notice is how smooth it cycles. Very very very close to my Dan Wessons on fit and how the slide cycles. I'm going to be spending some time working he action and dry firing before I take it to the range. Only thing that was mediocre was the trigger. But I suspect it will improve with use. All in all, easily the best sub-$1000 1911 I have ever seen.

skosh69
08-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Congrats!

dw1911
08-24-2013, 05:50 PM
I have to at least Honor Tradition around here

:pics:

sdmc530
08-24-2013, 09:46 PM
I have to at least Honor Traditon around here

:pics:

here here :D

douglas_knott
08-24-2013, 10:57 PM
I think I may get sick..

Only kidding lol, well maybe. :rolleyes:

skosh69
08-25-2013, 01:43 AM
I think I may get sick..

What's a matter Doug, too much "creme of sum yung guy"???? :eek:

Olympus
08-25-2013, 04:04 PM
I'll try to get some pictures up this week. Got a lot going on.

Honestly, I would rather have had a Dan Wesson, but 10mms are pretty rare on GB and prices are hovering around the $1500-$1600 range without shipping. I just couldn't make myself spend the extra money. The whole MIM vs tool steel is definitely something that I won't argue. But the likelihood that I'll wear out the MIM components is VERY unlikely. And since the gun will strictly be a range toy and a sidearm for hunting, I'm not risking my life on the integrity of MIM. At $975 OTD, I just could not pass that up.

douglas_knott
08-25-2013, 08:18 PM
I'll try to get some pictures up this week. Got a lot going on.

Honestly, I would rather have had a Dan Wesson, but 10mms are pretty rare on GB and prices are hovering around the $1500-$1600 range without shipping. I just couldn't make myself spend the extra money. The whole MIM vs tool steel is definitely something that I won't argue. But the likelihood that I'll wear out the MIM components is VERY unlikely. And since the gun will strictly be a range toy and a sidearm for hunting, I'm not risking my life on the integrity of MIM. At $975 OTD, I just could not pass that up.

You did well just giving you hell.

Olympus
08-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Here is a crappy cell phone picture of the matching pair.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/28/erehura8.jpg