PDA

View Full Version : My new toy arrived. LMT308MWS

allrockabilly
08-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Yep figured I would throw a few pics of my new rifle I just picked up. This thing is bad. But I have not even fired it yet. I will be hitting the range tomorrow morning and I will let you guys know how this hog eats.

Few pics from my HTC cell phone.

I will probably post a YouTube video soon, just a first impressions and then a range report and hopefully I can get some OK footage at the range with what camera I am using.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308MWS2.jpg

I through a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20 scope on just to play with when I hit the range tomorrow morning.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308MWS7.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308MWS9.jpg

First impression's - it's got some weight to it :eek: well 308 what do you expect I guess. I was up in the air for a while between the LMT 308 or the Scar 17s (Heavy) but as you can see I went with LMT. Top notch quality all the way. Right off the bat the only thing I can see changing is the regular A2 flash hider to something better like a PWS-FSC30 or something nicer if anyone has opinions on a good Muzzle break, I am not to concerned about muzzle flash sooo. We will see how it feels with the A2 tomorrow after I shoot it.

Anyways I will give you guys updates soon.

-Ryan S

MajO
08-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Looks nice. Here's hoping to shoots as good as it looks. Congratulations. Nice gun.

230gr
08-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Bad ASS!!!

Grizzman
08-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Very nice stick.

Grizz

Southpawmark
08-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Nice! Still waiting for mine to get here, where did you buy yours?

allrockabilly
08-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Looks nice. Here's hoping to shoots as good as it looks. Congratulations. Nice gun.
Yea I am hoping the same thing but I am pretty sure this thing is top notch and won't have any problems.

Bad ASS!!!

Very nice stick.

Grizz

Thanks Guys, it's a pretty big purchase for me but I think I will be happy in the long run. This rifle is just beautiful.

Thanks again.

-Ryan S

allrockabilly
08-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Nice! Still waiting for mine to get here, where did you buy yours?

Thanks,

I sent you a PM..........

allrockabilly
08-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Again once I finish it I will take advantage of the embedded YouTube feature we have and post a YouTube video I am making on it.

Actually I will be doing some other video reviews on all my Dan Wesson's too, I have noticed that there is really not many or no videos on the newer DW 1911's on YouTube.

Anyways I will post the vid as soon as it's finished. Now I am heading to the range in about 45 minutes to blast some 308.
This reminds me I really need to get into reloading now, so I need to start doing some research on what all i need to get to get me started. Since I have never reloaded before I would probably be happy even getting a single stage press to start. I don't know that's a whole other topic.

Thanks everyone,

-Ryan S

230gr
08-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Anyways I will post the vid as soon as it's finished. Now I am heading to the range in about 45 minutes to blast some 308.

-Ryan S

Hey Ryan what range do you use? Public or Private? I'm always interested in ranges other than Parma Woods/Lake City/Pigeon Hill.

Southpawmark
08-13-2011, 01:33 PM
I want to see the vid Ryan!

Grizzman
08-14-2011, 11:47 PM
That railed handguard looks longer than 12". LMT's website doesn't offer much in the way of detailed specs, like rail length, weight, barrel profile, etc. The barrel profile appears to be fairly light, but can't tell for sure in the photos. Where's the balance point of the rifle with a loaded or unloaded PMag?

I really like the extra weight of the UBR with the 20" tube of my 308. It balances at the 3rd from the front rail slot on the upper receiver (with irons). With a 16" barrel and SOPMOD, your probably points pretty well.....just somewhat heavy compared to an AR.

Grizz

allrockabilly
08-16-2011, 09:44 AM
That railed handguard looks longer than 12". LMT's website doesn't offer much in the way of detailed specs, like rail length, weight, barrel profile, etc. The barrel profile appears to be fairly light, but can't tell for sure in the photos. Where's the balance point of the rifle with a loaded or unloaded PMag?

I really like the extra weight of the UBR with the 20" tube of my 308. It balances at the 3rd from the front rail slot on the upper receiver (with irons). With a 16" barrel and SOPMOD, your probably points pretty well.....just somewhat heavy compared to an AR.

Grizz

Sorry guys I know I haven't posted more pics and I am still working on time to put at least a quick table top review together for YouTube but that should be done soon.
I need a better camcorder to record at the range but I will record what I can tomorrow or by this coming weekend.

Grizz,
I know, LMT doesn't give you much at all as far as specs on this gun, just the bare minimum(They say there site is being worked on and will be updated eventually). I have been trying to look up better specs online and I am reading different reviews and I will do the best I can for now. In the video I wil try and cover what I have found and know - I have started making a list of specs some I got from existing videos from LMT at shot show 2010 but I know they have made some changes in the BCG as far as different coatings, gas venting holes...etc and I think the new models come with an updated Bolt that has a redesigned ejector/ Extractor.

The rifle weighs in (Unloaded of course) at just under 10 pounds, it's like 9.9lbs. A lot of weight is in the Barrel. The barrel is pretty heavy duty and I think a lot of that is how they engineered it for the quick change barrel system with the Monolithic rail system. I have read some people are thinking about taking one of there barrels for there LMT308MWS to someone who can maybe lighten it up by maybe making it fluted. I don't know about that. The rifle is definitely front heavy with that barrel but loaded it adds more weight in the middle and kinda helps balance it out. I might experiment some day with a different Buttstock especially when I get a 20" barrel.

I will do some measurements on the rail too but I do believe it's a 12" but it looks and feels bigger because of the area that has the two bolts for the quick change barrel but I could be wrong I will measure and let you know.

Well I have to run off to work but I will do my best on finding more precise specs and measurements and get them posted.
Also I will work on finishing the video. I will probably just sound like a rambling fool but o-well at least it might give some people an idea of what this rifle is about.

Gotta run,

-Ryan S

allrockabilly
08-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Sorry all I know I have been slacking when coming up with new pics, specs, range report and of course a table top review video and maybe a range vid.

Anyways I hit the range again on Wednesday and met Grizz there and we installed his new BABC Battle Comp onto his 308 and I ended up purchasing his PWS-FSC30 that was on his 308. So we ended up installing the PWS-FSC30 onto my LMT 308 (yaa got rid of the cheap birdcage A2 flash hider) and WOW just by putting a nice Muzzle Brake on there reduced recoil by probably 40% or so, I am now totally in love with my new LMT308MWS.

By the way that BABC Battle Comp that Grizz has on his 308 now is Bad to the bone too. It looks awesome and performs just the same. We where so caught up in playing with the rifles and shooting I forgot to take good videos. But I should be hitting the Range Tomorrow and I will hopefully get at least some OK quality video clips.

I have been messing around with filming a table top style review of the LMT 308 and I do have a vid put together but I might redo it because I am kinda all over the place, it's really just me rambling on about the rifle and since the actual specs for the rifle are hard to come by I have just been doing the best I can with what I have read.

I guess I will post a video by the end of this weekend, but I will probably sound like a fool but keep in mind these are my first actual Table Top Reviews I have done on any gun, and if there are things that I leave out I might do a part 2 video and if anyone else knows anything about the rifle that I don't mention please comment on it because there has been changes made to certain parts of this rifle since it was first introduced a couple of years ago...Blah, blah, blah.

Well here are a few pics with my New EoTech and My EoTech 3x Magnifier mounted on the LMT 308 and with the new PWS-FSC30 compensator installed. Plus she's nice and dirty, I have been to the range twice now and have fired 200 rounds through her and so far not one hiccup or failure in any way + I have not really cleaned the rifle yet neither just used a Boresnake on the bore and added some Wilson Combat Oil. She runs like a dream.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308MWS12.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308MWS13.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308MWS11.jpg

I just ordered my Troy flip up BUIS for the LMT308 and some other Misc parts and goodies. I tell you this thing is starting to cost me some money. But when I am done getting everything I want for it, it will be the ultimate rifle (for me) IMHO...

Next I will be ordering the 20" barrel and a nice scope and quick detach scope mount. I am still up in the air on what kind of scope to get. I am thinking that I really don't want to go any higher than $1200 to $1300 for the optic :rolleyes: . I have been looking at a Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-10x56 Riflescope, Mil-Dot Crosshair with Green Dot. Or I can go with Night force but the price jumps. Well this is still a little while before I make that decision. My gun funds are pretty low right now, but hopefully within the next couple of months.

That's enough rambling for now.

-Ryan S

GeneticJoe
08-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I'M drooling. Very nice, congrats and looking foward to the video and report. Keep us posted

Southpawmark
08-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Was just informed by Candice at Tombstone Tactical that my LM308MWSE ships next week from Lewis Machine & Tool.

Grizzman
08-21-2011, 09:44 AM
That's good news. I'm sure you'll like it.

Grizz

allrockabilly
08-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Was just informed by Candice at Tombstone Tactical that my LM308MWSE ships next week from Lewis Machine & Tool.

That's awesome, I'm sure you can't wait since you have already been waiting so long.

Southpawmark
09-01-2011, 12:09 AM
It arrives 9/1/2011/ I'll post pics hopefully next week!

Thedragonslayer
09-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Very cool AR. It is awsome to watch how they change when new gear is added.

I will posting one with in the week.....

Southpawmark
09-05-2011, 07:30 PM
It finally arrived! Got the Burris Eliminator Laserscope mounted, Coyote tan sopmod, Ergo grip, Rail covers and Magpul MS2 sling. GG&G Bipod, Tango down forearm grip and Magpul Pmag with the WCI Titanium muzzle brake.

http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l568/LMTRifles/Snapbucket/

230gr
09-06-2011, 09:37 AM
thats beyond awesome...very intimidating :D

Southpawmark
09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Thank you sir! I'm getting 1/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with Hornady TAP Ballistic Tip A-MAX.

Rifle is super smooth and the lighted recticle offers pin point accuracy. I might eventually get the Nightforce F1 when and if prices come down.

Grizzman
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Thank you sir! I'm getting 1/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with Hornady TAP Ballistic Tip A-MAX.

You've got to be freaking kidding us!!! Bolt guns take notice.

(and it's not even a Les Baer....yawn or LaRue).

Grizz

Southpawmark
09-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Wish you were here grizz! You would love this thing! I'll get pics of the target up!

Southpawmark
09-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Pics are up on the photobucket link found on page 2. Rifle works flawless, can't wait for the Nightforce.

allrockabilly
09-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Pics are up on the photobucket link found on page 2. Rifle works flawless, can't wait for the Nightforce.

Nice,
I see you went with the FDE furniture, looks good. I have done a couple of things to mine recently which I will comment on in the next reply with pics.

How is that Burris scope, I have seen them but never picked one up. Is that thing heavy, how much does it weigh? I too have been thinking of Nightforce but the one I want is like $1600 or a bit more which is about what most good tactical scopes are costing these days. I would like to try US Optics but I would end up paying $2000 to $3000.
Well everyone is different when it comes to what they want to use there rifle for and what kind of glass they want to put on it. I want to get something like a Nightforce maybe a NXS.... But I just ordered a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 (TRTR22R) with the red triangle on top of a post. Its got 1/4 click MOA adjustments (1 click = 1/4" at 100 yards) :p . It should work fine for what I am use too and the range I am wanting to average at. I will eventually get a Nightforce or something nice like that as well. I am interested in seeing how well this Accupoint works with the dual illumination Fiber Optics & Tritium (which is adjustable for intensity-day or night). I like the idea of never needing batteries. We will see and of course I will post pics and a vid.

Anyways nice setup brother I love mine so I am sure you love yours just as much. Didn't you order 2 of the LMT308MWS's? When is the other one suppose to arrive?

O-Yea now that I see what that WCI ti muzzle brake looks like on there how do you like it and how much did it cut recoil by? That thing does look really nice. I know I am very happy with the PWS-FSC30 that I bought from Grizz one day when we where out shooting, it probably cut my felt recoil by about 40% I think. A nice Compensator is well worth the money and I am always up to find a new brand and style comp.

Thanks,

-Ryan S

Yea I have to say that my LMT 308 is my favorite now.

allrockabilly
09-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Hey guys sorry I know I haven't been around for the past couple of weeks. I have been working out of town plus family drama...etc.

But here are a couple of Mods that I have done to my LMT308MWS.

1st - I installed a Noveske QD end plate. This was not easy. LMT really staked that Castle nut in place.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308MWSmods7.jpg

2nd - I installed a Magpul Enhanced trigger guard. Not hard just as long as you have the correct punches.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308MWSSnipe4.jpg

3rd - didn't really need it but I am now running a BCM gunfighter charging handle, 7.62mm with the MOD4 (I believe) medium latch. The stock LMT charging handle that comes on the LMT308 is actually really nice.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308MWSmods3.jpg

4th - if you haven't noticed I finally got rid of the Magpul Gen2 flip up backup sights and got some nice Troy Industries flip up battle sights (Noveske Marked). These are so much nicer than the Magpul's I had on there and When I use my EoTech setup the FTS magnifier has plenty of room.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/IMAG0162.jpg

5th - I think I might have posted this already but I got a PWS-FSC30 Muzzle brake from Grizz and this went on my 16" barrel. Awesome.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/IMAG0166.jpg

OK, that's what I have done to it so far.

NOW, I have ordered =

1 - LMT 20" barrel.
2 - Another PWS-FSC30 comp for the 20" barrel.
3 - Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 (TRTR22R) scope.
4 - American Defense Recon 30mm QD scope mount for the Accupoint.

I should have all my new goodies arriving Friday. I will do a video of the barrel comparison, barrel swap. Maybe a video on the Trijicon scope and AD mount.
Also I am still planning on doing a review video of the LMT308MWS setup but I have been waiting for my 20" barrel and scope so I can show how quick and easy it is to go from a 16" barrel with an EoTech style setup to a more precision rifle setup with a 20" barrel and a scope...etc.

Maybe for now I can post some short vids of the LMT308 functioning (just me having some fun at the range zeroing my EoTech and EoTech magnifier and just shooting it).

Thanks,

-Ryan S

allrockabilly
09-14-2011, 10:04 AM
These are nothing special, just me shooting my LMT308. Filmed with a digital camera on video mode.
I will be creating better videos soon. But I figured I would try out the YouTube feature we have now on the forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzs6qjgVLcA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Me zeroing my EoTech and magnifier at 75 yards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GEj7zUdBtg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If this works out ok I will post more and make better ones especially the reviews I want to do.

Thanks,

-Ryan S

Grizzman
09-14-2011, 06:31 PM
The videos look good. When you plan to do another one, let me know......I can probably help run the camera.

You do need one of the shorter Harris HMRMS bipods or a LaRue 6-9" LM-S and LT706 QD Swivel Mount Combo. LaRue also offers a 9-13" model I may need to pick up also.

Ya, more money. :)

Grizz

Southpawmark
09-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Love the video's! The 2nd LMT308MWS should be here the 1st week of October. Muzzle brake is awesome regarding recoil, In all honesty i would have to say around 45% reduction perhaps more.

Burris Eliminator is around 16 ounces in weight, shot groups are very decent and is very accurate for wildgame kill shots.

I will be ordering the Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS Illuminated Recticle here in a few weeks. Have not decided between the MLR or the NP-R1 Recticle. Will cost around $2K

Grizzman
09-15-2011, 07:57 PM
I like the NP-R1 that's on mine, and I'd get it again.

Grizz

Southpawmark
09-15-2011, 08:06 PM
cool, thanks grizz! Any photo's of target group shots with the NP-R1? Is this on your LMT?

Grizzman
09-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Unfortunately, my current precision 308 isn't an LMT. It's a heavily modded DPMS that began life as an LR-308C a few years ago.

My initial plan was to run the Nightforce on the semi until I built a bolt precision gun, then move the semi into a battle rifle role. The battle rifle role ended up being filled by an M1, so the Nightforce stayed on the DPMS.

I'd been considering trading in the DPMS (plus a bunch of cash) in on an LMT308, but that money ended up being spent on an M1A. Oh well. :)

When it turns cold, I'll start building my precision bolt so the Nightforce can be put on a worthy rifle. I'll likely get a Vortex Viper PST for the DPMS.

Are you looking for photos of groups shot (don't have any at the moment, but that sounds like a good excuse to put some lead down range), or photos of the reticle looking at differing targets. I've never photographed a reticle, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

The only negative to the NP-R1 is that in anything but bright light, the thin lines of the reticle can be a little hard to see. That's easily remedied by turnng on the illumination.....something that may have actually helped yesterday while I was using it to test handloads in my 6.8 in overcast conditions.

Grizz

Southpawmark
09-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Hey Grizz:

Actually pictures of the targets and the recticle would be awesome. Curious to see the group shots @ 100 yards with the nightforce dialed in. I can only imagine based on the magnification of the Nightforce that the groups would be very close to each other.

Can't wait to see the photos! Thanks in advance!

allrockabilly
09-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys for the comments, I know I never posted any actual table top style review yet (video) but I will now and compare the 16" barrel to the 20", I might have to get Grizz out soon with his crono.

I just did some upgrades over the weekend. I will post pics tomorrow and hopefully a rambling video of me just telling you what I have done to it...etc.

And Grizz, sorry man. I never answered your last text. I have been busy with work and out of town for a week. I think I went out of town right when you got back. But I'm back. I probably just missed you Saturday at Parma if that's when you went. I went kinda late in the rain to zero my Trijicon Accupoint at 100yd and tried out the 20" barrel.

Grizz, I received a newer style PWS-FSC30 like you have on your 6.8. It uses the shims. I might need your help :eek:

We need to find somewhere we can go do some longer range shooting.

Ok I'll post more in the morning.

allrockabilly
09-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Grizz,

Forgot, I just (finally) bought and mounted a nice Harris 6-9" bipod. It's much better now. You'll see it soon. Pics in the morning. And we need to make a range trip soon. This weekend if your not busy. I need to take some more vids. :D

allrockabilly
09-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Love the video's! The 2nd LMT308MWS should be here the 1st week of October. Muzzle brake is awesome regarding recoil, In all honesty i would have to say around 45% reduction perhaps more.

Burris Eliminator is around 16 ounces in weight, shot groups are very decent and is very accurate for wildgame kill shots.

I will be ordering the Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS Illuminated Recticle here in a few weeks. Have not decided between the MLR or the NP-R1 Recticle. Will cost around $2K

Thanks, I have some more vids on my YouTube channel that I can post. I have been waiting to buy a camcorder so I can get much better quality and zoom features...etc but I have been spending all my dang money on my rifles lately :rolleyes: .

Well I think I am going to order one of those compensators that your running soon, those WCI comps look pretty dang cool and if you think it's cutting about 45% recoil I am all about trying it. I just read on their website that you don't need a crush washer or anything for installation? Was it easy to install and is that true no crush washer or Shims needed, was it timed right on the LMT barrel without any of that?
By the way That BattleComp looks really nice on Grizz's rifle.

Now all I have to say is WOW that big Burris Eliminator only weighs 16 ounces / 1 pound......... I have seen them in person but never held one but if I would of had to guess I would have probably thought 2 to 3 pounds.

My new Trijicon Accupoint (TRTR22R) 2.5-10x56 weighs 20.7 ounces. Which I was expecting a little extra weight with the big 56mm objective lens. It was worth it. The FOV, Eye relief and clarity is awesome (now I just wish I would have bought their next model up, the 5-20x50 with tactical turrets). My goal is to start working my way out to longer range shots like 300, 400, 500, 600 yards. I eventually want to get good enough and get the right scope & barrel to make a 1000 yard shot and make quick adjustments...etc.

And 1/4" groupings at 100 yards - very nice. That's right, that's what it's all about. Now I want to be getting 1/2" groups at 300+ yards.

Southpawmark
09-20-2011, 10:08 AM
The Burris Eliminator is actually 26 ounces in weight, but it feels lighter.

Please post the links to your new vids when their ready. The WCI went on with no problems, no crush washer or shim needed for install. I have a feeling that you'll like it. Have a guy at the range that has your trijicon scope and he is sending it back for credit to get the nightforce NSX.

I actually thought the trijicon had great optics myself, chose the nightforce for a variety of reasons, nightforce recticles will actually be more of an benefit to me over the chevron.

allrockabilly
09-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Here are a few new pics with the 20" barrel, Trijicon Accupoint Scope with American Defense Recon QD mount and a new Harris 6-9 Bipod.

I did film a rambling table top style video, I was thinking it was just going to be a quick few minutes but the video is actually like 17 minutes. I will post it later when I have time to upload it. I need to maybe write stuff down and run down a list while making a table top style review but this kind of works for now. Again when I have time I'll post it later.

Yes I am still running that little stubby front vertical grip, it helps while shooting this think while standing.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308Scope20in10.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308Scope20in9.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308Scope20in8.jpg

I love this rifle so much :D. Now I want to order one of those WCI comps and the American Defense Recon 30mm QD mount with the 20 MOA cant built in to give me more distance.

-Ryan S

allrockabilly
09-20-2011, 11:20 AM
The Burris Eliminator is actually 26 ounces in weight, but it feels lighter.

Please post the links to your new vids when their ready. The WCI went on with no problems, no crush washer or shim needed for install. I have a feeling that you'll like it. Have a guy at the range that has your trijicon scope and he is sending it back for credit to get the nightforce NSX.

I actually thought the trijicon had great optics myself, chose the nightforce for a variety of reasons, nightforce recticles will actually be more of an benefit to me over the chevron.

Yea, my Accupoint is very nice so far. I think some people love them and some don't.

BUT Im with ya that is what my next big purchase is going to be, is a Nightforce for LONG range. And I agree the Reticle is very nice and the one I have been looking at would work great for long range with quick adjustments...etc.

Grizzman
09-20-2011, 11:39 AM
It's cool that you picked up a 20" barrel for it. Now you'll have some real versatility with a quick barrel and optics swap.

My shooting on Saturday took place in the country, unfortunately where long range shooting isn't possible. Ya, we do need to find a place to stretch out our 308s and .277s..

I'll be in town this weekend, so will be going to the range. I plan to load up some more 30-06 test loads for the M1 this week, so the chrono will be coming with me also. I'm also interested in seeing the actual velocity differences between the 16" and 20" barrel.

Congrats on the excellent rifle.....she's maturing nicely.

Grizz

I'm heading into the gun room now to load some 6.8 evaluation loads. Looks like there'll be a NF vs Trijicon comparison also.

Southpawmark
09-20-2011, 02:33 PM
I love my LMT308MWS too! Dang Ryan, that really looks nice. Glad to see members who treat their rifles like gold, I know there are many of us who do.

It's a great investment to own such a fine piece of hardware and firepower. And I always admire the pictures as they show just how clean the system is. :)

I'll never go back to 5.56 again! This rifle is amazing and my go to weapon!

Bass Ackwardz
09-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Pics of my 2 LMT's will be forthcoming. Still testing loads for the 260 Remington...

Bill

Grizzman
09-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Did you get a 260 Remington barrel for an LMT?

Grizz

Bass Ackwardz
09-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Did you get a 260 Remington barrel for an LMT?

Grizz

Yesh, I did :D

Bill

Southpawmark
09-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Awesome, looking forward to the pictures!

Grizzman
09-22-2011, 09:47 PM
I had a conversation yesterday with Allrockabilly on the subject of alternate calibers for the LMT.

It's very cool that they're offering them now.

Grizz

allrockabilly
09-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Yesh, I did :D

Bill

Sweet so they are offering different caliber barrels already for the LMT308MWS huh? Let's say I wanted something like that, did you just call LMT directly and ask what there options are?

Also do you use the same magazine as the 308? Sorry I figured it would but Im not to familiar with the 260. (Grizz answered my question).

allrockabilly
09-24-2011, 08:33 AM
How long did it take for them to get you that barrel?

I'm not going to ask how much because I can guess for myself. I am sure you can by a very nice bolt rifle for the price of that barrel. But it's just awesome isn't it? So it makes it worth it

allrockabilly
09-24-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm getting ready to hit the range and meet Grizz and do some shooting :D
We are going to play with his Chrono and he's going to help me with some Dope sheets. It's nice to meet someone cool that's local and has a bunch of cool toys that I don't have yet and someone that I can learn from.

I am going to start buying reloading equipment. I really need to start reloading 308. It's getting really expensive. It's going to get worse when I get more into accuracy and long range.

But I have never reloaded before so I have a lot to learn...

allrockabilly
09-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Ok I got a really nice 400 lbs digital scale that I kinda borrowed from our warehouse at my work. I wanted to do some weighing, I've been curious.

I still have to do more weighing but just to give you an idea my LMT308MWS with the mods I've done to it so far (I'll call this my 20" setup) weighs in at 14.5 lbs loaded with 20 rounds of Federal 150gr soft points. So what you see in the pic is how I weighed it but I weighed it with a full magazine.

20" Barrel, PWS-FSC30, Harris 6-9 Bipod with ADM QD mount, Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 (TR22R) with ADM 30mm ring QD Recon mount. Magpul front stubby vertical grip, Magpul 20 round 308 mag and a few other small mods that really shouldn't make any difference. I do have 2 Surefire 123 batteries stored in the Buttstock and one in the grip.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/LMT308Scope20in8.jpg

I will be doing comparisons between my 20" setup as seen here and when I have it set up as a 16" blaster with EoTech HWS and EoTech 3xMagnifier...etc. I will post a bunch of different weights later.

I was curious about how much just one fully loaded 20 round 308 Pmag magazine weighed and well with the above mentioned ammo it weighs in at 1.5 pounds. (( Just one 20 round Mag ))..

I guess 14.5 lbs fully loaded with optics and bipod...etc isn't to bad because I would have guessed it weighed between 16 and 17 lbs :rolleyes: and I have seen some long range bolt rifles that weigh in at 17 to 18 pounds maybe more.

I will post new vids later after this range trip..

-Ryan S

Grizzman
09-24-2011, 08:44 PM
I'd say that 14.5 pounds for a precision 20 inch 308 semi-auto is pretty par for the course. I weighed mine after today's shooting session at 14.4 pounds with the same items installed as Ryan (except the vertical hand grip).

During our range session, we decided to pull off the 20 inch barrel and install the 16 incher. I took some pics, but they really weren't necessary. Steps were: remove one bolt....loosen another.....remove barrel. Reassembly is opposite (Duh!), with torque specs provided.

What was really sweet was that after switching from the 20 inch tube to the 16 inch one, the bullet impact (with same ammo) shifted approximately 1 1/2 inches. Later, when he re-installed the 20 inch barrel, POI was right back where it was before the swap. That is damn cool in my book.

Grizz

bvkdphillips
09-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Very nice. I also got a Daniel Defense DDM4V1. Would love to add a .308. Let me know how it shoots. It looks great!

Bob

Southpawmark
09-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Awesome update! Got pics up of the nightforce NXS NP-R1 recticle. Still waiting on the scope mount and 2nd LMT308MWSE. Pics of the target were taken with the Burris Eliminator @ 100Y.

Nightforce recticle is clear, clean and razor sharp. Illumination is left alone for night conditions and left it at factory settings.
http://m1124.photobucket.com/albums/LMTRifles/Snapbucket/?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2cDrcGb9sYQ%2FLokw1X GfQkaGUMJortr84o4J4Q8jQbGqeqtVUU5i2BB7a6iF0YR3D6uw f3Urg9%2Bl6N2WWyEe13j8TFjKDha%2BZS82X8unbSAAU5WTww l%2FY%2FNC7QETwYb3iESk4Xuo6hAr%2FYfSeLt2YIA%3D

Bass Ackwardz
09-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Sweet so they are offering different caliber barrels already for the LMT308MWS huh? Let's say I wanted something like that, did you just call LMT directly and ask what there options are?

Also do you use the same magazine as the 308? Sorry I figured it would but Im not to familiar with the 260. (Grizz answered my question).

Yes, you can call LMT direct and find out retail pricing, and availability. But keep in mind I am about 10% below their retail pricing.

How long did it take for them to get you that barrel?

I'm not going to ask how much because I can guess for myself. I am sure you can by a very nice bolt rifle for the price of that barrel. But it's just awesome isn't it? So it makes it worth it

I got my two barrels in about 5 weeks, the 260 was in stock but I had to wait on the other one, so I told them to ship when they were both available. They retail for about $700 each, but we sell them for a bit less than that...:D

Bill

Dave Waits
09-27-2011, 01:20 PM
14.5 pounds??? That's heavier than a NM M1A(10 pounds)! Well, at least it's in a good,effective, useful caliber. Congrats!

Grizzman
09-27-2011, 06:25 PM
14.5 pounds??? That's heavier than a NM M1A(10 pounds)! Well, at least it's in a good,effective, useful caliber. Congrats!

The 14.4 pounds is with a scope, bipod, and 20 rounds of ammo. When I pull the scope and bipod off my 308 AR, it's 11.6 pounds fully loaded......exactly what my M1A (non NM) weighs fully loaded.

Of course the M1A looks much better.

Grizz

Bass Ackwardz
09-27-2011, 06:28 PM

Grizz

Now, I love M1A's, but Imma have to argue this one...lol.

Bill

Grizzman
09-27-2011, 07:10 PM

Grizz

Let me add some additional info:

In battle rifle mode (without the bipod and scope) running irons, the 22" M1A with Walnut stock looks better. Fully equipped for long range action, the AR comes into its element.

Naturally, the M1 Garand looks "better" than both.

Grizz

Dave Waits
09-27-2011, 09:54 PM
I concur with Grizz, ARs got no soul. As for long-range elements, I'll take the M24 with the ART scope. Good out to the 308/7.62NATOs max range.

Southpawmark
09-28-2011, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=Dave Waits;8244]I concur with Grizz, ARs got no soul. As for long-range elements, I'll take the M24 with the ART scope. Good out to the 308/7.62NATOs max

A Kiss From These Is Deadly!

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l568/LMTRifles/Snapbucket/A4EEECF7-orig.jpg

allrockabilly
10-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Sorry guys I've been working 70 hour weeks for the past couple of weeks and haven't been on much.

Thanks for all the comments and Grizz thanks for adding the info from our range trip.

I love my LMT 308 :D

Yea like Grizz said 14.5 pounds - that was fully loaded (20 rounds), 20" barrel - PWS comp, Harris BRM Bipod with ADM QD mount, my Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 scope with ADM QD mount....etc basically fully loaded with all the bells and whistles for a long range setup.

The LMT 308 weighs in at just under 10 pounds stock with irons and empty.
I was curious and wanted to know how much a loaded 20 round Pmag weighed, well with 20 rounds of 150gr Federal soft points a fully loaded 20 round MagPul Pmag weighs 1.5 pounds alone...

I actually just made a 2 part rambling review of my LMT as it sits right now and uploaded like 3 clips of when me and Grizz where at the range a couple of weeks ago. I have been working on uploading them to YouTube and I will post them on here shortly....

The rambling review is what it sounds like but I am going to make a more scripted table top review soon with specs...etc.

I should have the YouTube vids added here to this thread later today.

Thanks guys, I love my LMT308MWS. It's a very nice 308 platform and truthfully I abused it since I got it by really not cleaning out the bolt and carrier until this past weekend :eek: (I have always wiped her down but just kept pumping Wilson Combat lube and oil in there) and let's just say it took me 4 to 5 hours to get all the packed in - built up carbon out of the carrier and off the bolt. But the up side is she has never had one malfunction NOT ONE and I have about 700 rounds through her now, it just kept on going even with all that built up crap on and in the bolt and carrier. But let's just say from now on she is getting a cleaning after every range trip. I have to much money in this thing to just not care about it like that. But like I said it shows what the rifle is capable of and what it can take.

Thanks,

-Ryan S

Southpawmark
10-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks Ryan! Waiting to see the new video!

allrockabilly
10-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Alright guys I went a head and uploaded some new videos, please don't make fun of me to much.... The first 2 videos are like a table top review but it's me just kind of going over how I have my LMT setup right now...etc.
I am going to make a more scripted table top review with the actual specs on the rifle and probably a barrel swap video with some better range footage that will also have some accuracy testing involved...etc.
I should be going to the range this weekend and taking a lot more video footage. The 3 video clips after my part 1 and part 2 rambling review are just quick videos that I took while me and Grizz where at the range doing some testing and I really didn't film much that day, so that's why the videos aren't really great- again just showing the rifle in action.
I will probably pick up a video camera before this weekend so I can finally film and zoom these range trips. Plus soon (Hopefully) I will be going to a friends piece of land where we can do some long range shooting and I really want a better way to film that kind of shooting trip.

Ok...blah, blah, blah.. Again don't bash me to much for rambling. I promise I will get better at these reviews and filming range trips. I will get a scripted video out soon with actual specs...etc.

Rambling review #1 Part 1=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHAU6DjSsrA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rambling Review #1 Part 2=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoxwgyZg-fo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
FYI- I don't have nothing againt Russian made ammo but I just don't run steel cased ammo through my guns, I'm sure it works fine for plinking...etc but, well I'll just leave it at that.

Three video clips from the last range trip. Not that great but that's all I took. One is Grizz firing my LMT 308 through his Chrono =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RKWloq3-5E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzbL0pycLyY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Grizz - Chrono =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKXc82Y2FoQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Alright, I promise I will take better reviews and footage soon.

I want to do some reviews on all my Dan Wesson's as well, which I plan on doing soon with a better video camera.

-Ryan S

NAMVET72
10-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Very Nice Glad to see you Built a Fine Rifle.

Clyde

allrockabilly
11-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Very Nice Glad to see you Built a Fine Rifle.

Clyde

Thanks Clyde,
It's getting there...

I just bought a camcorder (finally) so some better videos and reviews coming soon. I will be doing reviews and videos of my Dan Wessons too.

allrockabilly
12-11-2011, 11:19 AM
sorry I haven't been on in a while... Very, Very busy season in the cable and Cell tower world right now.

I just wanted to post and say sorry i haven't gotten any new videos posted yet. I finally got a video camera and I haven't even had a chance to make any new videos. BUT I will be driving to Las Vegas, NV (Where I was born and raised) in about a week and I will be making a lot of videos while I am out there. I have all the free space I want out there to shoot. I will be doing videos on my LMT 308 (Of course) with the new Vortex scope and comparing it to the Trijicon. Plus I will be able to shoot long range,, finally.... I will be taking the LMT 308 out and I want to see how she does out to 800 yds maybe a bit further with different ammo. I will be setting targets up at 100, 200 all the way out to at least 800 yards.
I will be comparing the 20" and 16" barrels at different distances....

Also,
I am going to finally make some good videos of my three Dan Wesson's and probably a few more pistols and rifles.

Anyways, again videos to come soon. I can't wait to finally film with a real video recorder...

Happy Holidays EVERYONE :)

-Ryan S.

allrockabilly
04-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Hey all sorry for disappearing for so long, all is good. After contracting for a big company for the last year and a half I finally got hired on permanent but still busy as can be but I have still been squeezing in those range trips and new purchases and upgrades.

Figured it had been so long I would drop in and at least say hi and post a vid or two. Also made a new purchase and have been working on modifying it. SCAR 17 (Heavy) 7.62x51 / 308.

My YouTube name is MrSloanStar (yea, yea it's a stupid name. It's something I kinda got stuck with).

My YouTube channel is = http://www.youtube.com/user/mrsloanstar?feature=mhee

1st - Playin with iMovie on my iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPA_ldQi_Gg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2nd - Misc shooting with my LMT 308 MWS 20in barrel, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with EBR-1 MOA reticle. Shooting sick in the desert with a low quality video camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIDfK092KoA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

3rd - My new FN SCAR-H 17s (7.62x51/308). My misc modifications, PWS SRX SCAR rail extension, Tango Down BG-17 pistol grip, Tango Down stubby front vertical grip with ADM QD, Tango Down angled charging handle and running a Leupold VX-R patrol 1.25-4x with fire dot (Mil/Mil SPR reticle) in a ADM QD 30mm mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgGTt2Xn5cc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I will post better ones soon and start getting some Dan Wesson 1911 videos posted.

Good to see the COTEP community still growing :D

DaFadda
04-08-2012, 03:54 PM
I now know that i have arrived as a guy "who knows" i knew frm the model number that it was a lewis machine tool. one of the best. congratulations!

allrockabilly
04-14-2012, 09:06 AM
I now know that i have arrived as a guy "who knows" i knew frm the model number that it was a lewis machine tool. one of the best. congratulations!

Thanks. I just love the 308 cartridge and I am very pleased I went with a LMT 308 MWS, top notch when running both a 16in and my 20in barrel. I need to make a new review video because these old ones I have posted are way out dated and not very informative. I have added a lot of mods to my LMT308 and want to post another video showing the upgrades and give people more information.

Also my new FN SCAR 17, I will make a review "table top" video soon with all the mods I have done to it as well. My LMT 308 is my go to rifle for more long range and I am still trying to keep my SCAR 17 ("heavy" 308/7.62x51) as my lightweight 308 battle rifle.

Another plan is to make a comparison video with both the LMT308MWS and the FN SCAR 17s. If you didn't know the British went with the LMT308MWS (LM308MWSE) as there designated marksmen rifle and US SOCOM went with the FN SCAR 17 (MK17) as ther designated marksman rifle or all around 308 battle rifle so I just want to make a video showing off some of the ups and downs that both rifles have and how they compare as an all around 308 battle rifle.

Thanks again.
-Ryan

DaFadda
04-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Very nice, reputable company.... May you never have to use it for defense.
DaFadda

Snipersnest
04-14-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm partial to the .308 too!