PDA

View Full Version : Assorted Range Day With The Wife

Olympus
08-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Just got back from a really good range day with my wife. She enjoys shooting, but she has a lot on her plate and doesn't get to the range as much as I do. But she had some time today, so we went together. We took 4 pistols and really blew through the ammo. We had a heck of a good time. We brought the following pistols:

627 Performance Center
CBOB 10mm
Hi Power
Polish P-64 (Wife's "truck gun")

This was my first range trip with the new two-tone CBOB 10mm and man is that thing a CANNON! I loaded up some pretty hot reloads with 180gr FMJs and my wife said the concussion was enough that it would rock her when she was standing beside me. She said it would blow her hair back too. That gun is really a lot of fun to shoot. The only hiccups were that one of the factory mags won't lock the slide back after the last round. But I have others that do that too, so I'm not too picky. For fun range shooting, it doesn't matter to me. But even after being exposed to the BOOM of the 10mm, my wife wanted to get her hands on the gun too. I was surprised, but she wasn't scared of it one bit. She couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with it, but I was impressed that she wasn't scared to try.

It was also my first range trip with the new 627 Performance Center. Let me tell you one thing about that gun, YOU'VE GOTTA GET ONE! After the first range trip, it ranks up there almost at the very top of the best guns I've ever shot. I had so much fun with that gun it was ridiculous. It balances well and it is SUPER smooth to shoot. The additional 2 rounds are a lot nicer than I thought they would be. Recoil is very tame with the beefier frame. The trigger stroke is a lot shorter and the gold bead front sight really grabs your attention. But I couldn't figure out who like it more, me or my wife. I couldn't hardly get her to put the thing down! She has always been more fond of revolvers, but this one was just speaking to her for some reason. She kept going on about how smooth it was. I loaded up some .38s for her and she was just drilling targets. With a mild .38, that 627 would barely even recoil. I tried a few too and it was really fun to blow through a whole cylinder of .38s ans still put out a good group. The 5" barrel on a N-frame is just a tad too big for my wife, so after this I think I might save up and get her a 686SSR of her own.

The Hi Power was a joy to shoot just like always. Nothing special there, just ole steady.

And the P-64 still plays havoc on the web of your hand, but it's the best $150 I've ever spent on a gun. My wife likes it because it really fits her hands well. She doesn't want to shoot more than 25 or 30 rounds with it, but wants to make sure she's proficient with it since it stays in her vehicle.

But overall, it was a great trip to the range with great guns and great company. :gun2:

Hoss in IL
08-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Good report. I think it's more fun when the wife shoots too. She used to con me into loading magazines for her but I quit that real quick. The faster I loaded them, the faster she shot them up:D

NAMVET72
08-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Good Range Report, always nice when your wife wants to shoot with you. My wife won't shoot at all or even pick up any type of gun. Thanks for posting your Range Report on Our Forum..

Clyde

rickshooter
08-15-2011, 10:09 AM
I would love to see the grips on your guns. Thanks for the range report. I used to go clay shooting with the wife often. Kids make it very difficult now days.

Rick

JeremyN
08-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Sounds like a great day!

I happen to know where you could get a great condition SSR... ;)

Olympus
08-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a great day!

I happen to know where you could get a great condition SSR... ;)

Pm me with details. I'm not quite saved up enough, but like to know what my options are when the time comes.

allrockabilly
08-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Sounds like a very good day :)

I have wanted to try one of those 10mm CBOBs but haven't had the chance. It sounds like fun. One day I will get one of those Two Tone 10mm CBOBs that are floating around but I just don't have the funds for it right now.

Anyways thanks for the report sounds like you guys had a great time Ellison

-Ryan S

Olympus
08-16-2011, 09:05 AM
If we can get the KC COTEP shoot together, I will be happy to let you shoot mine.

There was someone over at the "other" sight saying DW must be making them again because he saw a new one in a shop. I had to call to confirm. The gun is at Hyatt's in NC. It's a 2009 with serial number 47. They had a price of $1699 on the gun when I called! I love mine, but would have passed on it for that kind of money. I found a thread where the DW rep confirmed only 100 of the two-tones were made in 2009. If I see another one priced within reason, I would probably buy it.