PDA

View Full Version : Armed Agents evict retired Marine

Roverron
09-13-2013, 06:07 PM
For not paying a property tax bill $134.00

Bennie Coleman, US Marine Corps Sergeant (retired), watched from a lawn chair across the street as armed federal US Marshals stormed his house, stole his possessions and put his house up for sale, which he paid in full with cash more than 20 years ago.

A controversial program is at fault. In Washington D.C. tax liens are placed on property owners. If not paid, the lien is sold to a private group who inflates the original debt to astronomical figures. Sergeant Coleman owed $134 to the government.

Sergeant Coleman’s tax bill ballooned to $4,999. He lost his $197,000 home and all equity that it had built over the past two decades. The program entitles the private "investors” to everything. The investors’ entitlements even trump the mortgage companies.

According to a 10 month investigation from the Washington Post:

"Tax lien purchasers have foreclosed on nearly 200 houses since 2005 and are now pressing to take 1,200 more, many owned free and clear by families for generations.Investors also took storefronts, parking lots and vacant land — about 500 properties in all, or an average of one a week. In dozens of cases, the liens were less than $500."

http://benswann.com/armed-agents-evict-elderly-veteran-with-dementia-for-forgetting-134-property-tax-bill/

Whores F'n crap! WTF? Why is this being allowed?

jmlutz
09-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Repeat post, I put this up on the8th. Really shi..ty deal, our veterans are being treated horribly, all age groups are included. Gotta love our Government....

Roverron
09-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Repeat post, I put this up on the8th. Really shi..ty deal, our veterans are being treated horribly, all age groups are included. Gotta love our Government....
Sorry, I missed it.

douglas_knott
09-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Sorry, I missed it.

It's ok, you're like Clyde. You miss a lot of things. lol. Sucks to be old. ;)

Riverpigusmc
09-13-2013, 09:22 PM
I've had it. Kick my door in, you'd better bring a buttload of body bags

markbob45
09-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Veteran or not. Nobody should be treated like this. Our government cares more about the revenue than it does the citizens. If they could hand out $134 for some program they would. But God forbid someone can't pay their meager tax bill. Out you go you loose your house.
They should not be passing the responsibility for collections on to a profit driven 3rd party. The gov needs to show a little desecration. It cost them far more than $134 to send federal marshals over to throw this man out of his home.