PDA

View Full Version : Authorize.net's anti-gun policy

DrHenley
09-30-2013, 08:14 AM
One of the largest credit card processors, Authorize.net, which is owned by VISA, is now enforcing this part of their policy, and cutting off gun stores:

http://www.authorize.net/company/terms/

2. LAWFUL USE.
You agree that You will not at any time conduct Your business in any manner that directly or indirectly offers, sells, leases, licenses or displays, delivers, advertises, recommends, or promotes any product(s), service(s), data, information, image(s), text and/or any content which:
xiv. is associated with the sale of firearms.

Looks like I'm going to have to cancel my VISAs...

Grouse
09-30-2013, 08:28 AM
One of the largest credit card processors, Authorize.net, which is owned by VISA, is now enforcing this part of their policy, and cutting off gun stores:

Looks like I'm going to have to cancel my VISAs...

this comes around about every 18 months. Some one says they have had their account closed, blah blah blah. It is due to visa shutting down FFL dealers units.

What usually comes about if you press hard enough, card numbers were stolen from that venue on more than one occasion and visa shuts them down for that reason.

Every dealer here in ct takes visa.....

All i am saying is don't buy every story that comes across your email or
facebook browser.

Case in point. There is a email/facebook post making its 10000000 round. It supposedly describes the top ten school shootings stopped by a person with a gun.

while it plays extremely loose with the facts. It also shows as its main picture, kip kinkle An oregon highschool student who killed his parents and many of his class mates. He was stopped by unarmed kids.

DrHenley
09-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Grouse, READ IT FOR YOURSELF:

This is no rumor - it comes straight from the credit card processing company!

Grouse
09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
I did Though i read it originally to pertain to unlawful sale of. Reading it a second time i see that they bought into the service knowing they were in violation, so let me get this straight. It is the processors fault for canceling a subscription service and not allowing something that was clearly written in their rules to be sold by subscribers.

Seems like a pretty straight forward the "the gun store phuckard up" to me.

Don't like the service fine. Dont use it.

Do not expect me to have sympathy for a gunstore that at the very least
1) violates a rule blatantly, after learning about it.
2) Did not read the rules ahead of time and is crying foul.
3) Read the rules ahead of time and still chose run the gauntlet.
4) Uses a political platform against another private enterprise.

Plain and simple is the processing company a private business? Were the rules in place at the time of the GS signing the service contract? Who has the right to dictate the rules of a private company?

I am sorry I will not subject one company to rule mongering simply because they choose a rule that goes against a sale. IE paypal, starbucks, bank of america. I may choose to avoid doing business with them, I would like them to change their rules. Yet at the same time I will not have much sympathy for the persons or businesses that utilize such services knowing full well that they are doing so against the express wishes of their providers and often in breach of contracts.

That all being said. Most all service providers of this type have the same rules in place. From my experience in dealing with my providers, the only way to be dropped is to loose numbers via theft. As long as your transactions are not stolen cards, and your clients numbers are not stolen they really do not give a rats butt where the money comes from. It is only when stolen cards, or numbers are stolen from your system that they black list you. To do that they fall upon their list of encompass everything rules.

DrHenley
09-30-2013, 08:41 PM
From what I have been able to gather, the change came about when VISA acquired Authorize.net in 2011. The gunshops that were dropped had been going business with Authorize.net long before that. The aggressive enforcement is a recent thing. They apparently kept the new policy hush-hush until an opportune time.

I can do business with whom I chose too. So it's well within my rights to cancel my VISA cards!