PDA

View Full Version : recommendation needed.

Lonestar grips.
10-14-2013, 05:31 PM
now that it's starting to cool off around here i'd like to start reloading again and I plan on getting a media tumbler so I can have nice clean and shiny brass again, since I've never used one before I thought i'd ask what kind of media should I get? I've seen walnut hulls, corn cob, stainless, do they all work about the same or is there a difference?

NAMVET72
10-14-2013, 05:40 PM
The corn cob and walnut is cheaper, but you will have to replace it every so often, stainless is expensive, and will have to be cleaned every once in a while.

However just starting out by one to use corn cob or walnut, just my .02 cents worth.

Clyde

AutoMag
10-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Zane, I use walnut media. Throw in a dryer sheet every now and then to clean it!!

DaFadda
10-14-2013, 06:46 PM
I started with corncob.... then went to walnut. Walnut will clean more aggressively,and provide a really nice shine..... but corncob with a teaspoon of NuFinish once in a while (Walmart, 7.99 or so) will give a brilliant shine.

Take your pick, but definitely use the NuFinish. Much cheaper than the polish "they" want you to buy.

Just my thoughts and observations....
DaFadda

Riverpigusmc
10-14-2013, 06:47 PM
I use walnut with a cut up dryer sheet and a capful of Nufinish car polish. Put the polish in and let it run while or you'll have cat turds in your brass:D

Lonestar grips.
10-14-2013, 09:15 PM
thanks for the help guys! i'll go with the walnut, dryer sheet and Nufinish combo.

mrerick
10-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Get your crushed walnut media from PetSmart. It's used for reptile cage bedding and much less expensive that way.

I picked up a multi-year supply there for about $20...

Lonestar grips.
10-15-2013, 08:27 PM
thanks for the Tip Marc!