PDA

View Full Version : need some direction help

CaffeinFeign
12-08-2013, 09:05 AM
I have not been on this site in a long time, but I am back for some insight for my CBOB. I have been using my CBOB as my main CCW carry for a few years now and have noticed that since I am wearing glasses all the time now. I cant seem to get a fast sight picture with the current sights on the gun. My bifocal glasses seem to have a hard time picking up the small dots on the posts. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or direction for replacing the posts with brighter dots, but still making them small enough for a carry weapon? I looked at the 1911 sights on Midway, I have no idea whats good and whats not. Thank you for the help, and have a great day.

Riverpigusmc
12-08-2013, 09:26 AM
I'm thinking of going to the Wilson u notch rear Battlesight and gold bead front.

Xbonz
12-08-2013, 11:55 PM
If you are concerned about SD, learn to point shoot. No need to look at sights. Much more natural and reflexive. In a SD situation you don't need to thread a needle. You need to get as much lead on target as quickly as possible, preferably before the BG gets lead on you.

Google "threat focused" for further details

Riverpigusmc
12-09-2013, 08:30 PM
The three dots are reference for fast shooting...not bullseye. Target shooting, top of rear sight and top of front aligned still applies. With my older eyes, the wide U notch rear is looking better and better

CaffeinFeign
12-09-2013, 08:57 PM
thanks for the info, I agree about the SD, point and shoot. I have lots of range time and "center mass" is still what I look for, just as my eyes get older, it bothers me that I cant see the dots on my DW. I have a Mimber and can see those dots just fine. they seem to be bigger and brighter, so I need to change my sights on my cbob. Looked up the sights you spoke about..might be an option. Thank you for the direction.

dw1911
12-29-2013, 01:49 AM
I'm thinking of going to the Wilson u notch rear Battlesight and gold bead front.

You gotta love the Wilson U-Notch Battlesight. I like the Wilson Green Fiber Optic front myself.

DaFadda
12-29-2013, 07:21 AM
same issue here and I'm also looking at a Gold bead and U rear sight.
DaFadda

mrerick
12-30-2013, 09:01 PM
If you are range shooting (as opposed to CCW where you would be wearing your normal glasses), consider having a special pair made up by your eye doctor:

- Safety lenses
- Safety frames with the side shields
- dominant eye - fixed focus lens set at your arm's length plus 10 inches
- non-dominant eye - normal progressive or bi / tri focal lens

I switched to these at the range, and it made a real difference in my accuracy - plus it was much more comfortable to shoot and to pickup the front sight.

You can still shift focus from reading to target with your non-dominant eye, while always finding the front sight in focus.

Marc

Gaff
01-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Just a thought, maybe a dab of hideously bright nail polish into the dimple of each white dot. Something like fluorescent orange? God only knows, they've got some weird colors in nail coverings these days.

If applied carefully, it should dry very hard, and may not be effected by Hoppe's or other cleaning fluids. Not too sure on that, but I know it takes acetone to get some types off. I also know that Ed's Red homemade gun cleaning solution has a bit of acetone in the recipe.

Just thinking, that's a much easier solution than drifting out the sights. And, may provide a better "quick lock on" image. Might be worth a try?

sdmc530
01-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Welcome back...yes point/shoot is your training process now. Shoot for center mass and work your way into better shooting. Gold bead would be better though I bet. I too have the dreaded bifocals and they can be a challenge when shooting, but you do get used to them and it get better the more you practice! NOW if you get really old like a couple guys on here and get quadraflocal glasses you might not have a prayer in heck!