PDA

View Full Version : For Larry and Noel

Dave Waits
09-18-2011, 03:36 PM
The thing about .223 rounds disintegrating in drywall(Actually, this started during the WACO Seige and it was two layers of one-inch thick plywood with w 4" dead-air space) came from using 55 grain .223 ammo with the wrong twist. The rifles the Branch-Davidians used had 1 in 8 twists I believe( Might have been 1 in 9), which is way too fast for the 55grain bullet.This caused them to spin too fast and over-stabilize. The more centrifical force on a thin-jacketed bullet there is, the easier it comes apart when it hits an object.

For the record, in a properly twisted barrel(1 in 12) a 55 grain .223 will completely penetrate a cinderblock at fifty yards. This is with a standard 55grain lead-core spitzer. With a 1 in 8 or 9 twist, it will blow up on the surface of the block.

Most M4gery rifles and such made nowdays run a 1 in 9 twist for the 60 grain class bullet. Twist is tied directly to bullet-weight and velocity. The heavier the bullet the faster the rate of twist for optimum stability, in .223s this is amplified by the very small bullet, even in the heavier for caliber weights. I've seen 63 grain .223 bullets fired in a 1 in 12 twist keyhole at 200 yards.

As for Noels' question in the chat, I would not recommend taking a chance of bullet fragmentation to stave off over-penetration. I know you young fellas all think the M4 is a badazz weapon and ultra-cool but, it makes a lousy home-defense gun. I saw a lot of through and throughs in my day with this round and that was with the 55 grain bullet inside of fifty yards.

Riverpigusmc
09-18-2011, 05:38 PM
As for s' question in the chat, I would not recommend taking a chance of bullet fragmentation to stave off over-penetration. I know you young fellas all think the M4 is a badazz weapon and ultra-cool but, it makes a lousy home-defense gun. I saw a lot of through and throughs in my day with this round and that was with the 55 grain bullet inside of fifty yards.

Thedragonslayer
09-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Thats is some confirming information. I'm very suspectful of a .223 being a good self-defense round because of through and through possibilties.

It would be very interesting to do some tests as to penatration for drywall on standard 16" o/c 2x4 framing. But, it seems to be truly consistent and thus correct, various twist barrels would be required as well. And that could get very expensive.

If anyone has seen such a detailed test/study, it sure would be nice to post it for all us black rifle types to have.

Fragmentation rounds really don't excite me either because of the possibility of a BG wearing multilayer clothing (i.e. heavy Jacket), or the need to make a shot through a door or even a wall corner.

Of course all this questioning and wondering was done way past my pillowtime at the Table (ChatBox).

As always, thanks Dave for your knowledge on this.

Thedragonslayer
09-18-2011, 06:02 PM
As for s' question in the chat, I would not recommend taking a chance of bullet fragmentation to stave off over-penetration. I know you young fellas all think the M4 is a badazz weapon and ultra-cool but, it makes a lousy home-defense gun. I saw a lot of through and throughs in my day with this round and that was with the 55 grain bullet inside of fifty yards.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

hehehehehehe!:D

AutoMag
09-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Just get an RIA M5 shotgun and that will solve all of your problems!!!:D:D

http://www.rockislandarmory.com/_images/m5_shotgun.png

Thedragonslayer
09-18-2011, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=AutoMag;8052]Just get an RIA M5 shotgun and that will solve all of your problems!!!:D:D

John!!! that would be to easy and then we would have nothing to talk about but Claire!!!!

Neener Neener
09-18-2011, 10:05 PM
I already have someone working on getting the materials to build some mock walls!