PDA

View Full Version : What is COTEP

NAMVET72
09-21-2011, 02:11 AM
COTEP stands for Congregation Of The Enlightened Pistolero

We are 689 Women and Men that think that are Dan Wessons are as Good as any Semi-Custom 1911. We are all Friends that Care for each other. We have Karma Give Away Threads, and help each other out. You don't have to own a DW to become a Member we have RIA, Colt,Kimber, etc owners.

We joke around alot. But when someone needs info or maybe a part for our 1911's we help each other out.

We tease each other. We will not let other Members Bash each other, or even other members guns.

If you would like to Become a Member and to receive a COTEP Membership Card, Please PM me.

Clyde

DrHenley
09-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Pistolero "Enlightenment" can happen with other brands, it just seems to happen more frequently with DW owners.

The "Enlightenment" is hard to explain to the unenlightened, but generally speaking here are some common threads:

You acquire a 1911 that costs much less than a custom 1911, but that is accurate and totally reliable right out of the box.

Clearing jams is a distant memory from your past.

Quite unlike any other handgun you've owned, your 1911 just feels right in your hand, as if it were actually an extension of your body.

You shudder at the thought that you once trusted your life to a different handgun.

You notice that 1911s costing twice or three times as much as yours don't seem to be as well made/reliable/accurate as yours.

zenfly
09-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Pistolero "Enlightenment" can happen with other brands, it just seems to happen more frequently with DW owners.

The "Enlightenment" is hard to explain to the unenlightened, but generally speaking here are some common threads:

You acquire a 1911 that costs much less than a custom 1911, but that is accurate and totally reliable right out of the box.

Clearing jams is a distant memory from your past.

Quite unlike any other handgun you've owned, your 1911 just feels right in your hand, as if it were actually an extension of your body.

You shudder at the thought that you once trusted your life to a different handgun.

You notice that 1911s costing twice or three times as much as yours don't seem to be as well made/reliable/accurate as yours.

I've been shooting 1911s for over 40yrs. The above is very well stated.. I never bought a $2500-3500 .45 so I can't compare but my 2010 CBOB is a 25yd. 2" gun (bench and bags)out of the box and eats everything.. "Enlightenment"?? yes!

BadOscar
09-21-2011, 08:05 PM
COTEP started in the DW section of the 1911 forum and it used to be about people being enlightened about the quality of a gun that could be had from DW without spending a lot of hard earned coin. Over time more and more people realized the quality and they were able to steadily increase their prices. Then came CZ and more price increases. The quality is still there, but the price is a little less enlightening now when compared to other semi-customs.

I personally think COTEP has evolved into much more than what it was originally. To me COTEP is not about any particular manufacturer anymore. It's about friends helping each other out, gaining knowledge and learning about new things, the camaraderie of people with a common interest, sharing and listening to each other. It's about realizing you can work on a 1911 or build your own AR. It's must more enlightening now in my opinion.

Sheepdog
09-21-2011, 08:36 PM
I was fortunate enough to have Clyde invite me into the COTEP family in the other forum. I started hanging around the Dan Wesson sub forum after buying my first CBOB. The Congregation of the Enlightened Pistolero was created for those who knew that Dan Wesson's were a great value and of higher quality than many "higher quality" brands.

I have come to see that Clyde's enlightened pistoleros has grown to be much more than just a common love of Dan Wessons to a real brotherhood. I feel we have morphed into something much more. COTEP has become, a brotherhood of friends in the cyber world. This a new phenomenon of the internet, that a group of people can be brought together from Maine to California that pray, help and care for each others that they have never met face to face. I take my relationship with the other members here as a blessing.

This group of men and women who share a common interest in 1911's and other firearms, politics, humor, each other, etc. is truly remarkable. A great brain trust, to say the least. We joke around and give each other a hard time but not with malice. Someone that dropped in on the chat room might never figure out what is going on. But we get it.

I think I would be remiss if I didn't mention Clyde our "Fearless Leader", who's generosity and spirit has brought and keeps us all together. I thank Alex for providing the means for us to do our thing. Scott

Riverpigusmc
09-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Doc invited me into COTEP ( I call Clyde Doc coz..well, he knows) and I've never even HELD a DW. I was just curious, but it's turned into something I really enjoy..a bunch of good like minded folks that can while away the evening with info, opinion and teasing without anyone getting all bowed up. I feel like if I didn't show up to see the Ren and Stempy show a little each evening my night wouldn't be complete:D Thanks, Alex, for creating a nice safe haven, and thanks, Doc, for guiding us into it.

skosh69
09-22-2011, 12:55 AM
Where do I begin? I stumbled upon the "big forum" when researching what to buy when I was shopping for a 1911 and met some people in a sub-forum. I inquired about the "Cotep" in one of the members signature lines. He gave a brief overview of Cotep and said that if I was interested, he'd vouch for me. Even though I didn't own a DW, I'd showed alot of enthusiasm for the love of the 1911 and that was good enough for him to sponsor me. That man was John, "VietVet USMC 1968". And the rest is history.

I've come to learn alot from this group of friendly, gun loving enthusiasts. The group is more than just about guns, shooting, re-loading, etc. We have shared intimate details with one another about our personal lives. Have been there to listen and comfort each other when needed. More of a online family if you will. Some members have even had the pleasure of meeting up face to face. I hope to do just that someday!

And then there's our lighter side of things, the joking. There are a few of us that are the jokesters, and sometimes we become the brunt of the jokes. Like I said earlier, I yet to own a DW, so I get my fair share of the razzing, especially since I own a "K" 1911. But anyone who's been here awhile, knows this is all in good fun and if you can't take the heat, well....stay out of the kitchen.

Like Scott said earlier, a special thanks to Clyde, who is like "Sgt. Hulka - our big toe", keeping us in line and a debt of gratitude to Alex for keeping this site running.

Thedragonslayer
09-23-2011, 11:23 PM
I was fortunate enough to have Clyde invite me into the COTEP family in the other forum. I started hanging around the Dan Wesson sub forum after buying my first CBOB. The Congregation of the Enlightened Pistolero was created for those who knew that Dan Wesson's were a great value and of higher quality than many "higher quality" brands.

I have come to see that Clyde's enlightened pistoleros has grown to be much more than just a common love of Dan Wessons to a real brotherhood. I feel we have morphed into something much more. COTEP has become, a brotherhood of friends in the cyber world. This a new phenomenon of the internet, that a group of people can be brought together from Maine to California that pray, help and care for each others that they have never met face to face. I take my relationship with the other members here as a blessing.

This group of men and women who share a common interest in 1911's and other firearms, politics, humor, each other, etc. is truly remarkable. A great brain trust, to say the least. We joke around and give each other a hard time but not with malice. Someone that dropped in on the chat room might never figure out what is going on. But we get it.

I think I would be remiss if I didn't mention Clyde our "Fearless Leader", who's generosity and spirit has brought and keeps us all together. I thank Alex for providing the means for us to do our thing. Scott

+1000! :cool:

MajO
09-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Ditto.

dennisc
09-24-2011, 09:06 AM
In addition to the enlightenment, this COTEP Forum is a comfortable place to be. I've seen friendly posts with some good information and some good-natured ribbing usually with respect and a smiley face. I appreciate that not just 555 Women and Men, but more importantly Ladies and Gentlemen belong.
Thank you Clyde
Dennis

AutoMag
09-24-2011, 11:11 AM
This fine group of COTEP men and women I consider to be a part of my extended family!!! I have not met anyone except for Clyde so far but I feel as if I know you all personally. :)

As mentioned above we do cut up at times but hopefully those involved always know that we are joking around. If not that is why I make use of the smilies!!!:)

douglas_knott
09-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Well i was invited by Claude. He told me he chooses people by the way they are and how they present themselves. He has chosen the best of the best imo. I have made some great friends from here. Met some of you too. Not like what Bob and Noel do though. :eek: Im not gonna take another guy to the Sno-Hut for slirpie's lol not my thing. Anyways i hope to meet some more people around the area sometime. maybe the next COTEP shoot.

milkmanjoe
11-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Reading this over and over, page by page, post by post, makes me feel...
No, it makes me positively, absolutely know, and understand, that we can live free, and still, more importantly, be as one. As we should be.

Xbonz
07-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Btt...

Riverpigusmc
07-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Thanks, Howard

GD2A
07-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Good job bumping this ... what with all the new Floridians that keep showing up!

Oh wait ... I resemble that remark funny

DrHenley
07-28-2014, 10:52 PM
For a while there it looked like we were going to turn into the Conflagration of the Enlightened Pistolero and go down in flames.:eek:

AdamG247 (Navy-Ret)
07-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Great place, happy to be here. No, belay that, lucky to be here!

DW are as good as all Semi-custom 1911's I own and have shoot in my life.

My humble thanks to the Men and Women who founded this fine gathering place (Hand Salute)

Arley
08-17-2014, 01:17 PM
I was invited by Clyde also and glad he asked to come over and check it out . Been back to that other place once or twice since but only to check my old knife FS posts .

Glad to be here ,

Arley

Riverpigusmc
09-23-2016, 01:53 PM
bump.

RKP
09-23-2016, 03:42 PM
Thanks pig, just read this thread from start to present .... got a chuckle out of GD2A's post. :D

pitor
09-25-2016, 12:19 AM
Well i was invited by Claude. He told me he chooses people by the way they are and how they present themselves. He has chosen the best of the best imo. I have made some great friends from here. Met some of you too. Not like what Bob and Noel do though. :eek: Im not gonna take another guy to the Sno-Hut for slirpie's lol not my thing. Anyways i hope to meet some more people around the area sometime. maybe the next COTEP shoot.
Well I was invited by pig so i don't know how well he chooses, haha.

I consider COTEP a second family and feel the camaraderie and support of the membership is unique. Thank you for taking me in, thank you Clyde for guiding the ride, and thanks to Alex for the ability to have this place in the cyberspace.

NAMVET72
09-25-2016, 07:17 PM
Pitor, so far most members that Da pig invited here are good people, but pig needs to get people from some state besides Florida, hint hint,

Clyde

RKP
09-25-2016, 07:20 PM
...... pig needs to get people from some states besides Florida, hint hint,

Clyde

funny

Lonestar grips.
09-25-2016, 07:37 PM
but pig needs to get people from some state besides Florida, hint hint,
Clyde

truer words were never spoken.:D

Riverpigusmc
09-25-2016, 08:10 PM
orrrrrrrr......some other folks could make invites. I've about stopped

FfNJGTFO
09-25-2016, 08:48 PM
Pitor, so far most members that Da pig invited here are good people, but pig needs to get people from some state besides Florida, hint hint,

Clyde

I'll see if I can get my Penn. mentor I told you about to join us. I think he's on the PAFOA board. But he's not huge on boards. I'll try.

Gatorade
09-26-2016, 11:35 AM

Clyde

Well Pig just recognizes quality and invites! Just so happens we happen to have a lot of quality down here!

Seriously I have wondered why there isn't more of a presence from Cali and NY. There are a huge amount of good shooters and good people from those states and the membership does not have many members from there. Maybe members from other states can make it a point to recognize a quality member from another board and invite. I have invited two people here but I knew them from another board, they are solid people who I felt could contribute. When you see a quality person on another board who would be a go fit then send the invite and let them see if we would be a good home as well.

Riverpigusmc
12-16-2017, 08:34 PM
one last bump for the old times

NAMVET72
12-16-2017, 08:55 PM
X 1000 my Friend,

Clyde

RKP
12-16-2017, 09:33 PM

agreed

Pirate
12-17-2017, 09:14 AM
A great group to be a member of. You all are awesome people. Yes even you pig!!

FfNJGTFO
12-17-2017, 08:00 PM

"Last?" Is it not, more accurately, an "annual" bump... perhaps? :confused:

Caleb
12-17-2017, 10:02 PM
The last for this year, I assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pitor
12-18-2017, 01:04 PM
Good ole' thread!

boatdoc
07-26-2018, 07:07 AM
+1911 great to be a member and to shore the experiences and fun

Dwe
08-04-2018, 04:45 PM
As a relatively new member I have to say that as Semi Customs prices continue
to escalate, even though DWs are increasing in price, they still represent a great value.
Just bought a Blue Valor in 9mm, which is at the gun smiths getting a DW 38 super
barrel fitted to it. It is my 12th Dan Wesson.

oak1971
08-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Still have mine just shy of a decade later.