PDA

View Full Version : TCM22 VZ grips on my 1911-A2 Tactical .45 ...we have a problem

dboy225
01-15-2014, 03:48 PM
My Tactical doublestack has an extended ambi-safety. I assumed the TCM22 had an ambi-safety as well, and unfortunately these VZ grips are apparently cut for a single-sided safety.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/16/yqe7ugab.jpg

I plan on keeping the grips, but need some advice on how to make them compatible. Can I swap out the ambi-safety for a single-sided? And if that's the case will any extended thumb safety work? Or should I modify the grip panel to accommodate the ambi-safety? I can't find any info on working with the G10 material and have no clue on where to begin. Seems like a risky fix.

If anyone has been through this please explain how you worked around it. I'd really like to keep the ambi-safety to avoid having to refinish the area under the left thumb safety that is scratched. But I'll take any help I can get.

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

Sheepdog
01-15-2014, 06:30 PM
I would reshape the grips to fit the ambi-safety. If you can return them and get the ambi option.

dboy225
01-15-2014, 06:57 PM
I don't think there is an ambi cut grip for the TCM22. Still waiting to hear back from RIA. If there is I'd be extremely happy!

Lonestar grips.
01-15-2014, 07:00 PM
if you can't return or trade the grips for what you need you can easily make the ambi safety cut with a dremel.

dboy225
01-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Hopefully I can send the grip panel back to the shop and they can do it if there isn't a suitable replacement. I've heard that G10 is some dangerous nasty stuff to work with. Trying to avoid that route.