PDA

View Full Version : Tactical FS - first shots!

GD2A
01-24-2014, 02:31 PM
I had a quick trip to the range and put about 75 rounds through my new RIA. 10 of those were HP's and the gun ran well - I'm fairly impressed with my $400 1911 :D

What I know I want are better sights, a new safety (ouch!) and new trigger.

What I'm thinking about adding (if it makes sense) is a new hammer while I'm at it.

I've never modified a gun in my life but I bought this one for just that purpose. Pig suggested the Wilson Bullet Proof line and that seems good to me. I'll probably add stainless parts just to give the gun a little character. What I don't know is how to choose a good 'smith to do the work. I've never had anything but factory work done to a gun.

If anyone has a specific recommendation in the Miami area that would be great. Otherwise, suggestions on how to find someone that knows their stuff are most welcome!

Thank you kindly!

Riverpigusmc
01-24-2014, 05:46 PM
Last time I was in Miami was in the late 60's when my dad was bowling the PBA tour :D

Sounds like it shot well, Matt. One piece of advice, if you get it refinished, go to 1911.com, gunsmithing section, and look at Log Man's idiot scratch thread...ask me how I know :)

skosh69
01-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Cool beans but where's the pics?

You know it didn't happen unless we see pics!!!

Seems like someone else around here rebuilt an entire gun...mmmm, who could that be??? Oh, that's right, it was Clyde but he started out with a Springer, prolly needed rebuilding from the factory! :eek:

Good luck OP. WC BP parts are what I hear a lot of people using.

GD2A
01-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks fellas. I won't be doing anything close to a rebuild, just a little refining of the external controls. I didn't take any range pics but suffice it to say, the silhouette, at seven yards, was no longer a threat :D

GD2A
01-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Last time I was in Miami was in the late 60's when my dad was bowling the PBA tour :D

Sounds like it shot well, Matt. One piece of advice, if you get it refinished, go to 1911.com, gunsmithing section, and look at Log Man's idiot scratch thread...ask me how I know :)

Those just serve as a reminder to remain humble ;)

Riverpigusmc
01-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Those just serve as a reminder to remain humble ;)

needle file and 5 minutes, and it will never happen to ya again. Ever

KeystoneWeaponBK
01-24-2014, 09:30 PM
I had a quick trip to the range and put about 75 rounds through my new RIA. 10 of those were HP's and the gun ran well - I'm fairly impressed with my $400 1911 :D

What I know I want are better sights, a new safety (ouch!) and new trigger.

What I'm thinking about adding (if it makes sense) is a new hammer while I'm at it.

I've never modified a gun in my life but I bought this one for just that purpose. Pig suggested the Wilson Bullet Proof line and that seems good to me. I'll probably add stainless parts just to give the gun a little character. What I don't know is how to choose a good 'smith to do the work. I've never had anything but factory work done to a gun.

If anyone has a specific recommendation in the Miami area that would be great. Otherwise, suggestions on how to find someone that knows their stuff are most welcome!

Thank you kindly!

Good Stuff man!, I have built many, many a good 1911 with what you've got right there; I usually punch out the front sight… throw in a Dawson Fiber-Optic, grab myself a fun little box from Brownells like an STI Polymer trigger… maybe aluminum if the mood strikes me, do some trigger/action job stuff… tune up the leaf spring a bit, swap out some internals depending on its purpose(Like you mentioned before about the Wilson BP stuff) or rework the factory ones and go from there…

Just a fair warning, not everything is "Drop-In" and unfortunately I am from freezing cold Pennsylvania so I can't really recommend anyone in your area…

Caleb
01-24-2014, 10:08 PM
Cool beans.

If you do modify it, please post a thread!