PDA

View Full Version : Wilson parts in a RIA

GD2A
01-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Hi Folks,

I want to replace the trigger and safety in my new RIA Tactical FS. I'm replacing the ambi safety with a traditional one. I am going to have the work done by a gunsmith.

Are there any other parts I need to (or should consider) buy(ing)? I have no qualms with the slide stop and hammer so I don't feel compelled to replace those.

I've never modified a gun before so any/all comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Riverpigusmc
01-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Dave will be along eventually...if he ain't, send him a PM...Dave Waits.

Or, as I call him, Yoda :p

Caleb
01-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Can't contribute to your question but, subbed for responses and learning.

Dave Waits
01-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Okay, I see no problems here if your Gunsmith is familiar with how a 1911 works. The only problem you may have is clearing the grip-safety for the trigger-bow. Some of the later Tacticals have a tall bow at the rear of the trigger and they end up taking a lot out of the trigger block stud.

GD2A
01-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Okay, I see no problems here if your Gunsmith is familiar with how a 1911 works. The only problem you may have is clearing the grip-safety for the trigger-bow. Some of the later Tacticals have a tall bow at the rear of the trigger and they end up taking a lot out of the trigger block stud.

Thanks Dave. FWIW, I'm not wedded to Wilson parts, I just recognize their reputation. In fact, if I could buy RIA parts I'd consider going that route. However, I looked through their site and didn't see any.

Would you suggest another brand for the two parts I'm looking to upgrade or is it the design of the gun that would present a challenge in fitment regardless?

Also, I do not currently have a gunsmith but am starting to research them in my area. Would you think it better to find one that specializes in 1911's or one who is a RIA certified armorer?

Again, thank you very much!

Dave Waits
01-26-2014, 10:45 PM
At the risk of making my friend Mike mad, Wilson Combat parts pretty much run the Gamut from sevicable, lesser quality to good but, overpriced. Their top line, the Bullet-Proof parts are good, quality parts but, WC is very proud of them. You can get the same quality at a lesser price from Cylinder&Slide, EGW, Ed Brown, etc.

As far as a gunsmith is concerned, talk to others who run 1911s in your area. Usually, they have already visited any Smiths around you and should have an idea who's good and who's middle name is Bubba. When you do find one, ask to see some of his work or get some references. No such thing yet as a Certified RIA Armorer. Only RIA Gunsmiths I know are in Nevada.

Any parts that will fit a Colt or a Ruger, Springfield, etc, series 70 and before, will fit in a RIA. AAMOF, I have parts from five different manufacturers in my RIA.

AutoMag
01-27-2014, 07:25 AM
GD2A, Armscor / RIA has the parts that you want if you want RIA parts. The gunsmiths at Armscor in Nevada will also install those parts and that will keep the lifetime warranty in effect. Any gunsmith work done by a non RIA gunsmith can in some instances void the warranty. I would get with Arnel to double check on the mods that you want done and to check the warranty if done by an outside smith. 1-775-537-1444

GD2A
01-27-2014, 10:37 AM
GD2A, Armscor / RIA has the parts that you want if you want RIA parts. The gunsmiths at Armscor in Nevada will also install those parts and that will keep the lifetime warranty in effect. Any gunsmith work done by a non RIA gunsmith can in some instances void the warranty. I would get with Arnel to double check on the mods that you want done and to check the warranty if done by an outside smith. 1-775-537-1444

Thank you, sir! I'll look into that this morning ... if they're answering the phone this week :)

Sheepdog
01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
You can buy an STI that is an STI built on a RIA frame for about $550. The Spartan.

GD2A
01-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Nah, no need for a Spartan. Truth is, a new trigger isn't necessary, I just prefer the aesthetics of a solid aluminum, GI style. I bought this gun with the idea that I'd customize it a bit. I've been interested in Cerakote but never had a gun I was willing to try it with.

The thing I *need* to address is that damn thumb safety. It literally hurts to operate it. Moreover, I don't need an ambi or anything that extended.

All in all, I think it's a right fine gun for $400 and I'm very happy I bought it!

sdmc530
01-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Nah, no need for a Spartan. Truth is, a new trigger isn't necessary, I just prefer the aesthetics of a solid aluminum, GI style. I bought this gun with the idea that I'd customize it a bit. I've been interested in Cerakote but never had a gun I was willing to try it with.

The thing I *need* to address is that damn thumb safety. It literally hurts to operate it. Moreover, I don't need an ambi or anything that extended.

All in all, I think it's a right fine gun for $400 and I'm very happy I bought it!

When you get close to wanting to Cerakota a gun give me a PM...i did a ton of studying on this and just had a gone done not to long ago....stuff is good, don't hesistate to do one just find a guy who really knows what he is doing that is important....costs about $125

GD2A
01-27-2014, 03:46 PM
When you get close to wanting to Cerakota a gun give me a PM...i did a ton of studying on this and just had a gone done not to long ago....stuff is good, don't hesistate to do one just find a guy who really knows what he is doing that is important....costs about $125

Thank you, will do. The prices around here are $200ish for the coating. Wish I lived closer to you :D

GD2A
01-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Just to follow up. I've tried over a half dozen times today to call. Now, instead of a voicemail system all I'm getting is a constant busy signal. RIA sure isn't winning any CS awards thus far. Is there a better way to reach a human there to help me sort out my gun? If the price is right and the turn around time is reasonable I'd have no problem having them swap my safety for one that doesn't cut my thumb.

Caleb
01-27-2014, 04:15 PM

Good to know, I have a slide I want to do. PM inbound.