PDA

View Full Version : Honest Opinions Request

Caleb
01-31-2014, 02:01 PM
Ok, I do not know much about the Sig line of 1911s. Looking for honest opinions/explination of this platform. I have read all kinds of things on the interweb (everything is true, right?) about Sig's 1911s are not really 1911s and so on. Are they worth a look for a future purchase? Is it a waste of money that can be spent on a Kim.......uhm, I mean DW, STI, EB, WC, LB, ect...?

I like the look of their "Compact" model, therefor I ask the knowledgeable Cotepeans here.

sdmc530
01-31-2014, 02:32 PM
I don't know much about the 1911's but out agency gun is the is the 226 solid gun, terrible looking but built like a tank. I think they are overpriced for what they ar...I would pass...but that is me.

Riverpigusmc
01-31-2014, 02:44 PM
Talk to Aaron (Grouse) I think he knows something about SIG's

milkmanjoe
01-31-2014, 02:49 PM
I looked at SIG's for a while. Read alot about extractor troubles. Then read about the brand moving to the NE USA and losing quality control. I bailed, just stayed with 1911's.
But what the hey......if ya like a gun, try it, learn it, make it work.

BlackKnight
01-31-2014, 03:01 PM
I looked at SIG's for a while. Read alot about extractor troubles. Then read about the brand moving to the NE USA and losing quality control. I bailed, just stayed with 1911's.
But what the hey......if ya like a gun, try it, learn it, make it work.
I've heard and read the same thing.
Unfortunately, I do not have any first hand knowledge of their 1911's. I had and still see a lot of their regular stuff (P series) and I have not seen the decline in quality and reliability people have talked about.

Xbonz
01-31-2014, 03:06 PM
I am by no means an expert but I own 2 Sig 1911's, 2 P220's, and a P239. I have had zero issues with them. The 1911's have external extractors which I guess disqualifies them from being true 1911 pistols :confused:

I am far and away a much better shot with my Sigs than any other pistol I own. They fit my hand perfectly and point naturally for me.

Hope this helps.

Riverpigusmc
01-31-2014, 03:44 PM
My Kimber and some S&W's have external extractors

GD2A
01-31-2014, 03:48 PM
My Kimber and some S&W's have external extractors

My Kimber (Eclipse Custom II) doesn't. I wonder why some do and some don't.

DrHenley
01-31-2014, 04:27 PM
Kimber botched the external extractors by making them too short. Instead of correcting them they just ditched them. I primarily blame Kimber for the bad rap external extractors have gotten.

I have a Dan Wesson with an external extractor and have no complaints. I have two Sig 1911s and I love them. I have never had any extraction issues. Zilch Zero Nada.

The grip screws are torx. They use the Series 80 firing pin block. The top profile on a Sig 1911 is more square than a traditional 1911, making the slide a little heftier. (They have a line of round-top 1911s for the purists)

Other than that, everything is pretty much standard 1911 as far as I can tell.

Both of mine came with very tight slides.
http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=98&pictureid=593
http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=97&pictureid=573

Caleb
01-31-2014, 05:53 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses. I know Sig makes great semi-autos (alltho over priced in my opinion), just was not sure about their 1911 line-up. The external extractor does not bother me, just prefer the look of the original internal. I'm only interested in their "compact / CCO" model, the others look too "tactical" for my taste. If their 1911 track record is like the semis, it will be in the running for my next purchase.

Thank you guys again.

Xbonz
01-31-2014, 06:33 PM
One of my Sigs is the C3. Bought it used...zero issues

Deleted
01-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Ok, I do not know much about the Sig line of 1911s. Looking for honest opinions/explination of this platform. I have read all kinds of things on the interweb (everything is true, right?) about Sig's 1911s are not really 1911s and so on. Are they worth a look for a future purchase? Is it a waste of money that can be spent on a Kim.......uhm, I mean DW, STI, EB, WC, LB, ect...?

I like the look of their "Compact" model, therefor I ask the knowledgeable Cotepeans here.

Asking for Honest Opinions on here is like asking to be bullied.

Grouse
01-31-2014, 10:41 PM
I have shot most of them. I really like the sig nightmare. For the same money though you can pick up a guardian.

Sheepdog
01-31-2014, 11:17 PM
Did you think we would give you dishonest answers?:eek:

Caleb
01-31-2014, 11:18 PM
I have shot most of them. I really like the sig nightmare. For the same money though you can pick up a guardian.

Hey bud, totally forgot to call you. Ate dinner, started to watch a movie, pig interupted it. Will hit you up tomorrow or Sunday.

I do like the guardian a lot.

Caleb
01-31-2014, 11:20 PM

Have you heard of Ellison and pig?

DaFadda
02-01-2014, 06:06 AM
I've got a SIG GSR. yes it has an external extractor, so it's not a "purist's" version of a 1911, but the design is rock solid, as its performance. It's easily the most accurate in my inventory, service dept is great, and it's built like a tank. It was one of the original 1911 rail guns, and people thought it was just plain butt ugly. That said, no ftf, fte, for failures of any kind. You won't hear a complaint about Sig 1911's from me. (Oh... and there are no mim parts in mine, but mine is an early model. they might be using mim now.)
DaFadda

milkmanjoe
02-01-2014, 08:10 AM
Kimber botched the external extractors by making them too short. Instead of correcting them they just ditched them. I primarily blame Kimber for the bad rap external extractors have gotten.

I have a Dan Wesson with an external extractor and have no complaints. I have two Sig 1911s and I love them. I have never had any extraction issues. Zilch Zero Nada.

The grip screws are torx. They use the Series 80 firing pin block. The top profile on a Sig 1911 is more square than a traditional 1911, making the slide a little heftier. (They have a line of round-top 1911s for the purists)

Other than that, everything is pretty much standard 1911 as far as I can tell.

Both of mine came with very tight slides.
http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=97&pictureid=573

That was when Kimber lost me for good. I was well aware of the problem when is was ongoing and had two friends who got no response from them. I know they have straightened it out, just have a sour taste from all that. Guess if I know all the problems that have haunted guns over the years I would have to empty my safe. That's why I say If you like a gun buy it and make it work.

DrHenley
02-01-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm only interested in their "compact / CCO" model, the others look too "tactical" for my taste.

I was very skeptical of a compact 1911, what with all the horror stories of the Ghost of JMB haunting anyone that dared to tinker with his creation in such a unorthodox manner ROFL.

But my Sig Ultra Compact is an extraordinarily reliable pistol. It's right up there with my DW, maybe even a tad more reliable in fact.

The only problem I have is when I use Government/Commander length 8 round mags loaded to capacity. They sometimes bind the slide on the first round. Loaded to 7 rounds they are flawless. Since they are technically IMPROPER mags for the gun, I guess I can't complain too loudly.

I just fell in love with the little bugger on first sight, and after shooting it I loved it even more!

Carl in GA
02-01-2014, 03:51 PM
I have no experience with Sig 1911s. Of course, lack of knowledge, experience, or general common sense has never kept me from posting before and it won't now, either. :D

Personally, I don't care for the Sig-profile slide or the external extractor. I know they make a traditional slide, and I know the external extractor is supposed to be gee-whiz wonderful, but there it is. There are just too many other guns out there I'd rather have and don't have yet.

The only Sig in the house is my wife's P938. It's a solid, reliable little gun. With a blocky slide and an external extractor. :eek:

skosh69
02-01-2014, 05:38 PM

Have you heard of Ellison and pig?

Come on maaaaaan.......:rolleyes: