PDA

View Full Version : Will I get holiday visitation with my new Commander

MajO
10-13-2011, 11:00 AM
I just got off the phone with a nice customer service representative at Colt. After being given a 4 month turn around time, I sent my new Night Commander in on May 25. I call monthly to check progress. (yes, I can be that much a pain in the a___) I have been told that the wait now is 6 months. For the last 2 months I have been told that the gun is "with the gunsmith." There is only "one" master gunsmith and I am told that he does his work in batches. i.e. all the mainspring housing in one week. How can a major firearm manuafacturer only have one master gunsmith? This does not speak well for Colt's commitment to customer service, after the sale. With a 6 month wait time, one would assume that there is enough work to keep two master gunsmith's employed. :bs:

I am having the collet bushing replaced and a gold dot installed in the front sight of my Colt Gold Cup (1986 mfg). (other work as discovered) Due to his fine reputation and my experience with the Custom Shop, I am sending it to Jim Garthwaite. It will go out on Monday. Ellison

I have been considering a 10 mm for my next firearm project. I like the Colt Delta and the Dan Wesson Razorback. I am leaning toward the Dan Wesson, after my experience with Colt's Custom Shop. :confused:Best wishes to all.

Riverpigusmc
10-13-2011, 08:04 PM
For that kinda wait you could have sent it to Wilson Combat instead of Colt..with better customer service to boot. I'd be unhappy.

MajO
10-13-2011, 10:37 PM
I am less than pleased. The customer service rep pointed out that the military/law enforcement side of the business was larger; as if that was some sort of excuse for only having one "master" gunsmith. Cylinder & Slide is now promising 2-3 month turn arounds on the same sort of work. Apparently, they have more than one master gunsmith. It is a shame, but the message I take away is that Colt (for civilians) is all about sales, and not so much follow up customer service. I anxiously await the return of my pistol, but I doubt that I will use them again.

NAMVET72
10-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Joe, I waited almost a year Before my Springer was completed by Dave Severns. Be patient my Friend Good things come to people that wait........

Clyde

MajO
10-28-2011, 01:49 AM
My first "custom" gun was back in the 1990's. I ordered "one of a hundred" (Number 11) special Browning High Power Packages from Novak. $2500 worth of work on my pistol. It took 15 months, and I had to remind them that they had the pistol. Incredible gun that I have passed on to my son, but I won't ever do that (wait 15 months) again.

I expect honesty. If I am told the wait will be a year, that is fine. (A PIA, but fine). What I am angry at COLT for is that (1) before I sent the gun to them, they said the wait was 4 months. That changed to 6 months a week later when I called them to make sure they received the gun. Six months will be up in two weeks, and now (yesterday) (2) Brent tells me that the Gunsmith is just starting the metalwork and the wait will be 7 months (total)-maybe longer. This is the manufacturer and it is unacceptable.

NAMVET72
10-28-2011, 02:15 AM
My first "custom" gun was back in the 1990's. I ordered "one of a hundred" (Number 11) special Browning High Power Packages from Novak. $2500 worth of work on my pistol. It took 15 months, and I had to remind them that they had the pistol. Incredible gun that I have passed on to my son, but I won't ever do that (wait 15 months) again.

I expect honesty. If I am told the wait will be a year, that is fine. (A PIA, but fine). What I am angry at COLT for is that (1) before I sent the gun to them, they said the wait was 4 months. That changed to 6 months a week later when I called them to make sure they received the gun. Six months will be up in two weeks, and now (yesterday) (2) Brent tells me that the Gunsmith is just starting the metalwork and the wait will be 7 months-maybe longer. This is the manufacturer and it is unacceptable.

I agree with you Joe, that is a Gig Crock of Crap, they should give you a discount on the work. Call them and talk to the Supervisor, and tell him about it................

Clyde

MajO
03-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Brent told me that I would have my Night Commander by Friday; and I just got a notification call from FedEx, cowboycowboy that it will be delivered tomorrow. It will be exactly ten months since I sent it to Colt for, what I was initially told, would be a 4-6 month turn around. A month or so ago, I was told by Mr. Kelly (Colt CS) that I will be very pleased with how it looks. As it was out being Cerakoted at the time, I'm not sure how he knew...Maybe, it was faith. Anyway, next week, I'll post some pictures, if it comes tomorrow. :lies: Oh, I am getting a $100 rebate for the delay.

Best wishes to all.

DaFadda
03-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Clyde... I believe Brent IS the Custom Shop manager up here in Hartford. MajO.... hope the work is all you expect it to be!
Dafadda

Daedalus
03-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I had a flat tire on my Volkswagen Passat last week and decided it was time to get four new tires. I can't wait until next year comes until I can get my car back! :D

Four months - six months, TEN months? That is insane. It is not as if they had to mine the ore to get the job done. I could almost understand a extended wait for a complete new custom pistol, not for a collet bushing and a front sight. They should be ashamed of themselves. Instead, they remain arrogant :mad:

MajO
03-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Clyde... I believe Brent IS the Custom Shop manager up here in Hartford. MajO.... hope the work is all you expect it to be!
Dafadda

I know Brent. I have been "pm"ing him for months at the 1911 Forum. If it wasn't for Brent, I would have had no accurate information as to what and where my gun was at. Mr. Kelly told me that he was a manager, and I have no reason to doubt him.

Everybody I spoke with at Colt seemed very nice; however, apologetic and full of excuses for Colt's lousy service. I did not get a reply to the letter that I sent MG Keys. :kick: Reason's for the delay included:

1. Colt only has one Master Gunsmith. (Whose fault is that?)
2. Colt only has 200 employees. (Whose fault is that?)
3. Christmas Holidays and people were on vacation. (I was supposed to have the gun back in early September, then November.)
4. Had to send gun out for cerakoting. (and?)
5. Last week, the range was broken. :wf:

All the above might be the case, however, tell customers that the wait will be 10 months, so they can make an informed decision to go elsewhere. I have been a staunch Colt supporter, but, I will no longer recommend them. I probably will keep my Gold Cup, Night Commander, Python, Diamondback and Detective Special though. Best wishes.

MajO
03-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I had a flat tire on my Volkswagen Passat last week and decided it was time to get four new tires. I can't wait until next year comes until I can get my car back! :D

Four months - six months, TEN months? That is insane. It is not as if they had to mine the ore to get the job done. I could almost understand a extended wait for a complete new custom pistol, not for a collet bushing and a front sight. They should be ashamed of themselves. Instead, they remain arrogant :mad:

Long after I was having issues with Colt, I bought a Gold Cup. I sent that to Jim Garthwaite for the collet bushing, front sight and other work. Mr. Garthwaite did an excellent job and returned the pistol to me in under 8 weeks. My Night Commander was sent back to Colt for a "tactical package," which, in all fairness, involves more work. But, say it however you want, ten months is outrageous custom service. They did adjust the price $100 for the delay, but you would think that they were pulling it out their rectum, when I suggested it. :eek:

Best wishes.

Dave Waits
03-01-2012, 06:52 PM
I am less than pleased. The customer service rep pointed out that the military/law enforcement side of the business was larger; as if that was some sort of excuse for only having one "master" gunsmith. Cylinder & Slide is now promising 2-3 month turn arounds on the same sort of work. Apparently, they have more than one master gunsmith. It is a shame, but the message I take away is that Colt (for civilians) is all about sales, and not so much follow up customer service. I anxiously await the return of my pistol, but I doubt that I will use them again.

Joe, I would Bills'(Bill Laughridge, Cylinder&Slide) work over that of the Colt Custom-Shop anyday!

Sheepdog
03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I would send it to Dave Severns, his hard hat finnish is indestructible and he has the best gold dot sight I have found. I would not put Creacoat on an outhouse.IMHO

MajO
03-01-2012, 07:48 PM
I would send it to Dave Severns, his hard hat finnish is indestructible and he has the best gold dot sight I have found. I would not put Creacoat on an outhouse.IMHO

I don't see me having any work done at Colt in the future. If (when) the cerakote wears, I will have it refinished elsewhere. (My Fusion Longslide is at Robar right now.) Colt swore by Cerakote. We'll see how it looks and lasts.

BTW, many years ago, I lived out in the country and had one of the oldest outhouses around. I think it was stained with Olympia Redwood stain. Cerakote would certainly be a bad choice. :facepalm2:

Best wishes.

MajO
03-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Joe, I would Bills'(Bill Laughridge, Cylinder&Slide) work over that of the Colt Custom-Shop anyday!

Me too. I have never sent anything to Cylinder & Slide, but I have spoken with Mr. Laughridge twice and he was very helpful. It seems that he has also focused on training other gunsmiths as he has reduced the turn around time for work 50%, or 2-3 months. It appears that C & S has more than one master gunsmith, and they are not even the factory. Go figure. :bsflag:

If the IRS doesn't sodomize me in April, I might be talking to Dave Severns about some work in May (birthday). :)

Thedragonslayer
03-01-2012, 08:07 PM
I dont know about all this custom gun stuff... but I do hope we get to see pictures of this little baby when you get here.:):):)

Big Smoke
03-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I used to own a Colt Gold Cup. That's why I bought a Springer Range Officer this time. :D

MajO
03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
I dont know about all this custom gun stuff... but I do hope we get to see pictures of this little baby when you get here.:):):)

Well, my Colt Night Commander, with Tactical Package, has finally returned home. I like it, but I'll see how much when I take it to the range.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=35&pictureid=411

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=35&pictureid=412

NAMVET72
03-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Now it has become a Useless Safe Queen, send it to me ASAP to run the Field Test on it for you.:D:D:D:D

Clyde

Mike45
03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
That is one nice looking Colt. :rock:

MajO
03-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks Mike.

Keep dreaming Clyde.

Snipersnest
03-02-2012, 05:20 PM
I like it!

MajO
03-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks.

Daedalus
03-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Joe -

You have one of the all time best 1911 guru gunsmiths in your back yard. Have you talked to Sean at CDI in Chalfont?

Jack

MajO
03-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Joe -

You have one of the all time best 1911 guru gunsmiths in your back yard. Have you talked to Sean at CDI in Chalfont?

Jack

Jack,

No, I haven't heard of Sean, or CDI. I will have to check him out.

Best wishes.

Daedalus
03-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I have visited with him a couple of times and was very impressed. He is an ex-GI (Vietnam) and a retired LEO. Works out his beautiful shop behind his home in Chalfont. I can dig up the phone number if you need it

Jack

MajO
03-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks, but I think that I am tapped out for awhile.

DaFadda
03-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Heck with the gun... I want MAJO's grips!!! That's what I've been looking for for my CCO!!!! Where did you get them? I'm guessing that they are from Esmarelda??? Looks like her work.

MajO
03-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Heck with the gun... I want MAJO's grips!!! That's what I've been looking for for my CCO!!!! Where did you get them? I'm guessing that they are from Esmarelda??? Looks like her work.

You are correct, sir. They are Esmarelda's. I have the white for the Commander and the Ebony for the Longslide.

Sheepdog
03-02-2012, 10:34 PM
She's beautiful, glad you finally got her.

MajO
03-03-2012, 05:51 PM
She's beautiful, glad you finally got her.

Thank you.

GoldenVolt
03-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Congrats Joe. :toast:

Glad you finely got your colt back.....

Now go to the range and shot some :target::target::target:.

Greg

MajO
03-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Amen.

MajO
03-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Today, I had the opportunity to take my new Colt Night Commander, with Tactical Package to my range (New Holland Rifle and Pistol Club). I had completed the Frog Lube lubrication ritual.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=35&pictureid=414

I shot over 200 rounds of 230 gr Winchester (Wally World) FMJ and JHP, as well as 3 rounds of CorBon 165gr +P, that I had laying around. I used every 1911 magazine, I had; and, I experienced no failure to feeds. I had two failure to eject (stovepipes).

My best group (although limited due to only 3 rounds) was with the CorBon, at 15 yards.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=35&pictureid=413

But, I was generally happy with the performance with the 230 gr Wally World, at 15 yards.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=35&pictureid=415

All in all, a fun day at the range. IMHO, the gun shoots much better than it's owner. Sorry Clyde, no safe queen here.

:shoot: