PDA

View Full Version : Some Results on a Chart

KeystoneWeaponBK
02-21-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure where this goes but I'm thinking that some of you might be strange like I am and have spreadsheets and charts to track things like I do, ha!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/22/ybyrysyp.jpg

These are average results for some of the ammo that I shoot most and thy show PF and foot-lbs.... Of course that doesn't account for things like the shockwave of the bullet or the expansion of the jacket, etc... This is just base power based off of speed and weight.

Regardless of the manufactures claims or whatever these are shot out of my pistols with my chrono at my house in my shi77y weather, so for what it's worth....

sdmc530
02-21-2014, 07:41 PM
all I see is that my 10MM is the best...yahoo...

DrHenley
02-21-2014, 10:22 PM
I'd like to see the Taylor Knock-out factor charted on there too.

KeystoneWeaponBK
02-21-2014, 10:48 PM

That's a good idea, I should be able to easily add that, cool idea... I will have to add that, I'll look into that tomorrow. I added an attachment, does this look correct:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_KO_Factor

KeystoneWeaponBK
02-21-2014, 11:09 PM

Here is the Taylor KO Factor, interesting stuff...

KeystoneWeaponBK
02-21-2014, 11:13 PM

I kind of wouldn't have guessed some of that so it's neat to see how the math plays out... especially since my 45's don't do anything to my steel targets but my 22TCM's do this:

DrHenley
02-21-2014, 11:53 PM

Bullet diameter is not factored in at all in kinetic energy (foot pounds). But we know that the larger the hole, the faster the blood loss. Kinetic energy is what causes deformation however, which is why the high velocity rounds dimple the plates while the 45s don't. The energy is dissipated over a smaller area for the small diameter bullet resulting in a higher energy dissipation per square inch leading to more deformation.

Or in layman terms, a high velocity small diameter bullet is like hitting the plate with a pick axe, while a low velocity large diameter bullet is like hitting the place with a sledge hammer. The pick axe will make a deeper dent.

TLE2
02-22-2014, 02:52 AM
..and now our beloved 45ACP is back on top. Thanks Taylor KO factor.

KeystoneWeaponBK
02-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Bullet diameter is not factored in at all in kinetic energy (foot pounds). But we know that the larger the hole, the faster the blood loss. Kinetic energy is what causes deformation however, which is why the high velocity rounds dimple the plates while the 45s don't. The energy is dissipated over a smaller area for the small diameter bullet resulting in a higher energy dissipation per square inch leading to more deformation.

Or in layman terms, a high velocity small diameter bullet is like hitting the plate with a pick axe, while a low velocity large diameter bullet is like hitting the place with a sledge hammer. The pick axe will make a deeper dent.

Makes perfect sense to me, I think it's interesting because there are so many factors involved on top of just a simple linear diagram... like if you look at ballistic gel tests on top of what we see here and then add things like "shockwave" (Non-permanent cavity stuff) and how bullets may "break up" etc...

Obviously the math doesn't lie because mass, weight and size are for the most part going to be constants, regardless I'd rather not be hit with any HAMMER! lol

It's neat as you add "Layers" to it the picture comes together like adding the diameter will obviously increase the wound entry and disperse kinetic energy across that larger plane, then everything changes as you try to shoot through things... I'm gonna try to do some fun ballistics test this summer with a decent camera, just for fun, not to prove anything other than my own curiosity. I am not trying to find the "perfect" round because I really don't think there is one, I think in a face to face the 45ACP is my choice, in the winter when their are carhartt jackets on top of sweatshirts I'd like my 10MM and I don't discount the factors of any round for any specific set of criteria... however if you NEED your gun you'll never know the conditions until the threat is eliminated.

These are all just observations and opinions but I suppose one could make an argument for anything they wanted based on the endless amounts of scenarios that "could" play out... all I know is that when going into more dangerous scenarios I pick what my awkward-brain tells me I might prefer and that is usually my 45, 10, or 22TCM depending on a lot of different criteria.

Thanks for enlightening me to that Taylor KO factor because that adds another piece to the puzzle!