PDA

View Full Version : SA grip issues

Xbonz
02-25-2014, 06:21 PM
A while back I purchased a 1911 Springer and asked Zane to make me a set of grips. The grips he sent didn't fit. They fit my Sigs and Colt but not this Springer. The other grips I have, both stock and custom, which fit other pistols won't fit either. According to the smith these bushings are 3/1000 bigger than normal. Anybody ever run into this before?

Riverpigusmc
02-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Nope. But buy the correct bushings, and get the grip bushing tool from Brownells or Midway...don't try to change bushings with a screwdriver. May have to use a soldering iron to heat them if they have Loctite

jmlutz
02-25-2014, 06:31 PM
Nope. But buy the correct bushings, and get the grip bushing tool from Brownells or Midway...don't try to change bushings with a screwdriver. May have to use a soldering iron to heat them if they have Loctite

What he said.

dw1911
02-25-2014, 06:38 PM
What he said.

Yep, I agree too. And SA does use Loctite. A heat gun works well on Low setting. And that tool. Best money you can spend. I have one from Brownells. Rarely use it, but, that sucker will save a LOT of cussing & fussing!
Here:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bits/magna-tip-1911-auto-bushing-driver-bits-prod493.aspx

Xbonz
02-25-2014, 06:39 PM
The gunsmith didn't want to try and remove them for fear of damaging the pistol, so you can be pretty sure I'm not gonna try either.

skosh69
02-25-2014, 06:44 PM
A while back I purchased a 1911 Springer and asked Zane to make me a set of grips. The grips he sent didn't fit. They fit my Sigs and Colt but not this Springer. The other grips I have, both stock and custom, which fit other pistols won't fit either. According to the smith these bushings are 3/1000 bigger than normal. Anybody ever run into this before?

You have to buy "South American" grips to fit on a "South American" pistol...sheesh :facepalm2:

Just kidding...good luck.

Xbonz
02-25-2014, 06:57 PM
You have to buy "South American" grips to fit on a "South American" pistol...sheesh :facepalm2:

Por que eu não pensei nisso?

Deleted
02-25-2014, 07:14 PM

Children are to be seen not heard, so shut up and stand in the corner.

X someone has put different bushings in there, like pig said order some, As far as a gunsmith afraid of removing bushings because it might damage the gun......find another smith

jmlutz
02-25-2014, 07:16 PM
I'll bet you $1.00 the suggestions will work, just don't strip out the bushings or screw heads, it can be fixed but it's a big pain in the ass, been there done that....

skosh69
02-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Ok, in all seriousness, why in the world would S/A grip screw bushing be a different diameter than ALL the other manufacturer's in the 1911 world????

Deleted
02-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Ok, in all seriousness, why in the world would S/A grip screw bushing be a different diameter than ALL the other manufacturer's in the 1911 world????

They aren't

skosh69
02-25-2014, 07:40 PM
They aren't

Then why don't his grips fit then? Don't tell me Zane drilled the holes too small?

Howard did say the bushing were "bigger" right? Not taller, meaning the difference between thin bushings and normal bushings.

Riverpigusmc
02-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Then why don't his grips fit then? Don't tell me Zane drilled the holes too small?

Howard did say the bushing were "bigger" right? Not taller, meaning the difference between thin bushings and normal bushings.

Too large diameter..his other grips won't fit either. Howard, any competent smith can do it with heat and the correct tool. YOU can do it. Hell, I'll bet Ellison can do it. Make sure to loctite them back in with purple or blue loctite..check the thread diameter, then buy the loctite accordingly

Xbonz
02-25-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm going to call Springfield tomorrow and ask them about this. Then I'm going to another gunsmith for a second opinion. Believe me when I say it ain't worth me trying. There's a reason I'm in sales and not doing anything mechanical, or surgical, or even...nah, let's leave it there.:rolleyes:

skosh69
02-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Question, did you buy this gun new or used?

Oh yeah, hey pig...BITE ME.

Xbonz
02-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Question, did you buy this gun new or used?

Used. The smith said the bottom of the bushing was not right (I think he said it was flattened, don't remember his exact words.)

Sheepdog
02-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Previous owner may have stripped out the bushing holes and installed oversized bushings, that should not have changed the side that goes through the grip. You never know what they may have done. May have used a screwdriver to set them and spread them out.

Cross threaded? May not be square to the frame.

skosh69
02-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Used. The smith said the bottom of the bushing was not right (I think he said it was flattened, don't remember his exact words.)

Gotcha...thanks for the clarification.

Xbonz
02-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Previous owner may have stripped out the bushing holes and installed oversized bushings, that should not have changed the side that goes through the grip. You never know what they may have done. May have used a screwdriver to set them and spread them out.

Cross threaded? May not be square to the frame.

Ding ding ding. We have a winnah. I do believe this is what the smith said. Thanks.

Now, this being the case, where do I go from here?

Sheepdog
02-26-2014, 12:08 AM
You need to get new bushings and a bushing bit/ driver remove old bushings install new ones. If the threads are messed up you may be able to retap them and you should be good to go. Worst case, you would have to drill and tap for oversized bushings.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bits/magna-tip-1911-auto-bushing-driver-bits-prod493.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/taps-dies/taps/1911-auto-oversized-stock-bushings-tap-prod621.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/taps-dies/1911-auto-stock-taps-prod42145.aspx

Or find a smith to do it.:D

Xbonz
03-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Just got off the phone with Springfield Armory C.Svc. Was told that there have been bushings that are oversized and that since my pistol was built back when they staked the escutcheons/bushings to the frame, they would fix it for me at no cost. Shipping included.. I am a happy camper, or will be in 2-4 weeks..nanner

Riverpigusmc
03-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Good. Loctited bushings you could have done at the kitchen table...staked, probably not. Glad it worked out

Caleb
03-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Great news, way to go SA CS

flphotog
11-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Yep, I agree too. And SA does use Loctite. A heat gun works well on Low setting. And that tool. Best money you can spend. I have one from Brownells. Rarely use it, but, that sucker will save a LOT of cussing & fussing!
Here:

I agree about using a heatgun to free up loctite, never had an issue that way. It's also handy if you need to make a slight adjustment to a kydex holster.

flphotog
02-17-2015, 04:32 PM
I've never changed the grips on my SA's so just went and tried all of my spare grips on both of them and they all fit fine. The Para grips were a little tight but they fit.

pony up
02-17-2015, 07:31 PM
I have read posts regarding the quality of SA customer service. My experience has been the taming of my XDs .45. It was my very favorite ever range gun when the little bugger went full auto on me two summers ago with the extended magazine in it. My brain immediately went into full reverse recalling the first time we snapped in with our new grease guns. Of course I stitched the sky that super hot afternoon in 1960, not the ceiling of the indoor range. The range owner yelled, "What the hell was that?" He wanted to see it again, so of course. Pretty cool. a 3.3 inch machine gun. SA issued a recall repair on thousands of XDs pistols. Even sent them back with another free extended magazine. Cool beans. Their response on the bushing situation is impressive. I am a fan. On the issue of bushings, has anyone seen the 1911 bushing and grip screw treatments that Dan Chinnock has listed on his web site? I think they are a great step forward, especially if one is concerned with protecting expensive firearms and costly grips.