PDA

View Full Version : Metalform mag review

Xbonz
02-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Just back from the range with my new mags. Brought the SA MilSpec, Sig XO, and Colt 70 series. Used 230 grain federal fmj. The mags are all 8 rounds, fresh out of their packaging. 3 of the 5 had springs which were extremely stiff, needed Uplula to load round 8. The other 2 were somewhat easier to load, but still stiff. First pistol was the Colt. Had a difficult time seating the mag with 8 rnds. Pistol would not chamber top round. Had to strip one off. Then had numerous failures to feed and failures to eject. Had a couple double feeds and stovepipes to boot. Still managed to put about 30-35 rounds down range. Problems lessened with time.

Next up Sig- No problems with pistol stripping off the 8th round but had a number of FTE's and a few FTF's. This pistol has given me zero issues until today. Again managed to put 30 rounds down range. Problems eased up a bit towards the end.

Finally the SA. This just came back from smith who had polished the throat and ramp. No issues with feeding or extracting. Going to chalk this up to new mags for now. Will see if problems persist next time out.

For now just very glad I wasn't in a gunfight or I could possibly be taking a dirt nap.

douglas_knott
02-27-2014, 04:40 PM
I have had good luck with metelform mags. Then again mine were all bought used or given to me. Either way I have never had any issues.

GD2A
02-27-2014, 05:02 PM
I only use Wilson and Kimber mags - all good to go. I've never even used the ACT (or whatever they are) mags that came with two of the guns. I keep waiting for Wilson's next sale!

Thanks for the report, it reaffirms my decision not to take advantage of a 'good deal' :D

milkmanjoe
02-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Very strict Tripp Cobra mag user here. Even took old mags apart, cleaned, installed Tripp spring/follower. I'm picky that way.

Riverpigusmc
02-27-2014, 06:42 PM
Howard. Load the mags full and let the springs take a "set". I have to do this with new Wilsons, too Load 'em up and leave 'em loaded a couple days. I leave mine fully loaded all the time...springs wear out by cycling, not from being compressed

Xbonz
02-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Howard. Load the mags full and let the springs take a "set". I have to do this with new Wilsons, too Load 'em up and leave 'em loaded a couple days. I leave mine fully loaded all the time...springs wear out by cycling, not from being compressed

Thanks Mike. Already done...

Riverpigusmc
02-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Sometimes that'll cure initial ftf problems (notice I didn't say "issues"....issues are copies of American Rifleman and Hustler

Xbonz
02-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Sometimes that'll cure initial ftf problems (notice I didn't say "issues"....issues are copies of American Rifleman and Hustler

They're only problems if they continue...

Or as we say in the sales biz: They are "opportunities". Opportunities to learn from and improve upon..:rolleyes:

Sheepdog
02-27-2014, 07:39 PM
I've never had a problem with them. I like them for the range. Almost indestructible and cheap. I carry Tripp's and Wilson's.

BadOscar
02-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Howard, did they have the flat followers or the round metal followers? I've never had a problem with my metalform mags but they are all the older 7 rounders with round metal followers.

Riverpigusmc
02-27-2014, 09:22 PM
I've found the flat split followers do a number on aluminum frames

Xbonz
02-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Howard, did they have the flat followers or the round metal followers? I've never had a problem with my metalform mags but they are all the older 7 rounders with round metal followers.

Round.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/1911-45-8rd-sts-mtl-fllwr-fr.html

skosh69
02-27-2014, 11:04 PM

Derrr...hehehehe. That is why you're supposed to ditch the split followers if you own an alloy framed gun.

milkmanjoe
02-28-2014, 03:40 AM

They do....is one reason Tripp makes the polymer follower.