PDA

View Full Version : My New Valor will never be the Same

wildcatter
10-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Yep, the changes are a commin! My Valor V-BOB is on it's way to Mr. Severns. I have run close to 700 rounds thru it without a single issue, one 200 grain swc load, and 5 factory self defense loads, and 3 different hp bullet hand loads with different weights and nose profiles. Yep I decided it is a keeper!!!

So after I caried it daily for 3 months and shot everything I could find to reload and the top PP ammo thru it, I found it's weakness! well, maybe I didn't find any. But I like the looks of Dave's work and think it can shoot as good as any 1911 I currently own, with a little modification.

I didn't like the fact that when I picked it up at the gun shop, that I field stripped it without any tools right there on the counter. I was scared and didn't think it would shoot good with a Barrel Bushing I could take out and wiggle in the slide. I was wrong, it shot pretty good, but I think with a fitted bushing it will shoot better, and stay tighter for ever. Dave agreed he thought I could expect better accuracy with a fitted bushing. I told him a few mods I thought would make it a more comfortable carry gun and we agreed to get the ball rolling. After a month or two I got an ok to ship, he is ready for it.

So hear was what I wanted for comfort.
#1 the slide stop, and the thumb safety are way to wide for my preference for ccw (I carry inside the waist band, in a very thin leather clip holster), fine for combat shooting, but I don't feel necessary for a daily inside the belt carry gun. So Dave is going to take about 3 serrations off of each and put a downward bevel on the slide release for comfort against my side and tactical rounding of the edges.
#2 I think Dave's tactical dehorn is the most attractive and effective I have seen, so that's a go.
#3 Just for looks (and crown protection?) I am going to have him do his flush barrel to bushing crown job, makes the barrel look more massive.
#4 Then after taking the grip panel off the side that sets against my body and gets sweaty on those 100 degree or close days, it was covered with discolored finish stains, So YEP HARD HAT! It's either that or hard chrome, and I like the blued finish better on my pistols. I have herd nothing but good comments about the hard hat treatment. In time I will give my own opinion.

So to enhance accuracy, which is not needed for self defense, but I will pop a few woodchucks and the likes with, plus I shoot it and my other 1911's frequently at the range to 100 yards or more on gongs, Just one.\

#5 Is the gun smith fitted barrel bushing, This was the only thing I didn't like about the gun when I got it, and being a Les Baer owner and believing it was important to accuracy, I was worried. But after many different loads and reloads, it shoots surprisingly well. Dave does believe if I can see movement from side to side and feel it, we can make it shoot better with the front end locked up a little tighter. I can keep a clip inside of 1.5" at 25 yards now, if it will shoot even better it's money well spent!!

As far as reliability, it needed nothing, maybe a little less pattern of ejected cases, this thing does scatter em, but as far as feeding, this thing will eat anything!! I loaded my 200 grain swc three different OAL's and it run like a dream! So now the wait begins, I will miss it while it's gone, but I am sure this is a worthwhile inconvenience!!

skosh69
10-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Cool beans! I'm sure all that work that Dave will put into it will result in mighty fine pistola!

Looking forward to seeing pics of it when completed.

Grizzman
10-17-2011, 04:16 PM
That sounds like a great plan for a carry 1911.

I'm definitely interested in your opinion of his Hard Hat treatment.

Grizz

NAMVET72
10-17-2011, 05:51 PM
I had Dave do alot of Mods. to my 1985 Springer 1911A1, which now is named Black Ops. and now over 1000 rds down the tube with it there has been no chnage in his HH Treatment.

Looking forward to seeing your Valor after Dave is done with it.

Clyde

wildcatter
10-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the thumbs up on your approval of the HH treat, NAMVET! I can't wait, I like blued guns but hope I like this finish. One can see pic's and hear endorsements, but seeing is believing. I will make sure to post the pic's when it comes back!

wildcatter
12-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Well I got it back a couple weeks ago, haven't been around, tryin to fill deer tags, but it is back and I have to say I am very pleased!! The finish is better than I hoped it would be, THANKS Dave!! I have not put it on paper yet but I will make that report when it happens. Here are a few pic's.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu266/saumbi/_MG_0086.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu266/saumbi/_MG_0085.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu266/saumbi/_MG_0088.jpg

BadOscar
12-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Looking good. Let us know how it shoots.

Mike45
12-28-2011, 10:03 PM
That is a good looking pistola. Clyde

Grizzman
12-28-2011, 10:22 PM
That looks outstanding and ready to be carried.

Grizz

skosh69
12-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Looks great...

douglas_knott
12-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Super nice. Congratulations

jmlutz
12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Looks Great:) Mike