PDA

View Full Version : Range report RIA9

KeystoneWeaponBK
03-02-2014, 03:30 PM
So despite it being like 20 degrees outside I went to the range to function check my 9mm franken-pistol that I have been working on for this shooting season... I have been tuning, stoning, shooting, tuning, repeat, repeat, repeat... To try and get everything perfect...

It ran well with the exception of I needed to take out a few drags (I had dykem layout fluid on every internal so I could inspect it afterward for burrs and stuff) and I need to dial down the recoil spring by about 2 pounds and reshape my firing pin stop... So I did that last night and hopefully can get out to retest it this week.

It is a 9MM single stack that I have two loaded slides for so I can quickly change between 9mm and 38 Super and not have to mess with sights and stuff.

I am very pleased with it's test yesterday, here's some pix:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/puvu9a8e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/yby2ytyb.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/5etyduza.jpg

Xbonz
03-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Wow, that one shot is off by a whole lot..Looks like you need some more work...:rolleyes:

Nice shootin'. Thanks for the report.

Caleb
03-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Nice shooting! Keep us updated.

sdmc530
03-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Wow, that one shot is off by a whole lot..Looks like you need some more work...:rolleyes:

I agree...how did that one get away....:D

KeystoneWeaponBK
03-02-2014, 05:31 PM

Lol yeah, I blame it on the cold! Couldn't have been the shooter lol :0

KeystoneWeaponBK
03-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Actually my typical excuse set is to blame; coffee, weather, gun, ammo, other shooters, wind, the target, my phone, my truck, the sun, anything I can think of besides me LOL... In all seriousness though it was me, my grip was a little off because I did have a bandaid on my trigger finger though so we'll go with that excuse this time ;)

KeystoneWeaponBK
03-02-2014, 06:34 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/7a7ysu8e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/a4ysumu4.jpg some more random pictures...

skosh69
03-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Great write up and pics, thanks.

Question, where the barrels crowned from the factory or did you have that done?

KeystoneWeaponBK
03-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Great write up and pics, thanks.

Question, where the barrels crowned from the factory or did you have that done?

Hey Skosh, the 38 Super Barrel was crowned like that from the factory and it is a little more pronounced because I stole the barrel out of my GI Matte Nickel 38 Super so it looks more shiny than normal (the barrel on the right in the pic of the muzzles above)

The 9MM barrel is also a factory barrel from Armscor but Arnel sent it to me like this and it is really well done… normally they don't come like this but he must have decided to go the extra mile for me, leaves a perfect little star on it after a range session… It kind of makes me want to have all my barrels done like this to be sure they lack imperfections at the noisy end :D

skosh69
03-02-2014, 09:20 PM
That's just awesome of Arnel do to that.

I really like the look of flush cut, crowned barrel. I have it on my Kimber and need to get it done to the Cbob and will have it done when my Baer arrives.

KeystoneWeaponBK
03-04-2014, 08:30 AM

I really like the look of flush cut, crowned barrel. I have it on my Kimber and need to get it done to the Cbob and will have it done when my Baer arrives.

The next time I talk to him I'll have to ask him if he would do a couple of my other barrels if I sent them out… the ones that are totally flush look really badass…

Also, I really want a CBOB, or is it a VBOB? oh wait, I just went on the Dan Wesson website and decided I want EVERYTHING! lol… But I always look at them at the dealer and drool over their finely crafted pistols :)

Caleb
03-04-2014, 09:56 AM

Who can you guys recommend for a cut and crown? I would like to do the Kimber like that. Thanks.

KeystoneWeaponBK
03-04-2014, 07:02 PM
I am lucky that I live within driving distance of Jim Garthwaite and he does them but he seems like he is very very busy these days but I don't think his prices are bad for what you get... He does amazing work ad I wanted to get some bluing done from him but he just emailed me and told me he wasn't taking on any more bluing right now but maybe smaller stuff like crowning, but I'd like to see who all you guys reccomend

Www.garthwaite.com

girphoto
03-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Who can you guys recommend for a cut and crown? I would like to do the Kimber like that. Thanks.

Hi Caleb

we do that in our shop all of the time...It jus a reverse crown

GaryR

Sheepdog
03-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Very nice Poodle shooter.:p

Caleb
03-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Hi Caleb

we do that in our shop all of the time...It jus a reverse crown

GaryR

PM sent...