PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Builder Differences ???

Xbonz
03-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Not the best title for this thread, but should get my point across. If you start out with the premise of a semi custom 1911 with a max outlay of say $2500 what would cause you to choose one builder over another?

Are there major differences in the quality of workmanship? Are the parts used so different?

Using this abbreviated list why would you choose one builder over another?

Colt Custom
Springfield Custom
Ed Brown
Les Baer
Dan Wesson
Fusion
STI

Riverpigusmc
03-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Depends on what you want. If you want a tight fitting shooter, but not worried about perfect cosmetics...Baer. Classy....Brown. Combination of the two...Wilson Combat. Good looking, good shooting at a reasonable price...DW

skosh69
03-06-2014, 11:15 PM
I'd have to go along the lines with what pig said. It all depends on "what you're looking for" in a pistol. You think you found what you want in a WC but then discover that STI offers basically the same thing for a fraction of the cost. Generally, you are going to get better parts, more hand fitting and over all greater gun with the more you spend.

Hell, why do you think Porsche Panamera cost 7 or 8x what a Toyota Corolla costs? Both have 4 doors, an engine and will get you from point a to b, right?
Tony hates this analogy, cause he drives a Corolla..... sorry bud.

Take for instance, why did I choose to order from Les Baer recently. Well because nobody else offered a 1911 with a full length dust cover, aside from LB and STI. I could of saved a ton of money ordering from STI, but I didn't like their trigger guard nor their cocking serrations on the slide. That's why LB got my business.

Xbonz
03-06-2014, 11:25 PM
I'd have to go along the lines with what pig said. It all depends on "what you're looking for" in a pistol. You think you found what you want in a WC but then discover that STI offers basically the same thing for a fraction of the cost. Generally, you are going to get better parts, more hand fitting and over all greater gun with the more you spend.
Understood. But most, if not all, of the builders I listed sell for about the same price, so the Porsche Toyota analogy doesn't equate here.

Hell, why do you think Porsche Panamera cost 7 or 8x what a Toyota Corolla costs? Both have 4 doors, an engine and will get you from point a to b, right?

And for the record, I've owned a Porsche and now own a Corolla...

Take for instance, why did I choose to order from Les Baer recently. Well because nobody else offered a 1911 with a full length dust cover, aside from LB and STI. I could of saved a ton of money ordering from STI, but I didn't like their trigger guard nor their cocking serrations on the slide. That's why LB got my business.

This is more like what I was looking for..

douglas_knott
03-07-2014, 12:37 AM
I am gonna buy an EB one day. I have always loved them.

Sheepdog
03-07-2014, 01:20 AM
Smoking Hot and extremely accurate Nighthawk
Smoking hot Ed Brown
Smoking Wilson
Blood and guts built like a tank Les Baer
Blood and guts built like a tank STI (less expensive)
High-cap-competition STI (my only choice)

Thats my picks. A $2500 1911 choice is going to be very subjective. You have to pick what is important to you. Before I shelled out $2500, I would go out and shoot all of them that I could. Make sure that I know enough to tell the difference. If you want a safe queen you are never going to shoot or carry, save some money buy a Mimber. They look good and you won't have to worry about if it works or not.:D Find one you fall in love with that shoots good for you. My 2 cents.

BlackKnight
03-07-2014, 08:40 AM

Hey, how did I get roped into this? Btw, I no longer drive the Toyota as I drive that till the bottom rotted out of it. I now drive a mini-van. :D

Riverpigusmc
03-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Mini van. There goes your studly image funny

Caleb
03-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Hey, how did I get roped into this? Btw, I no longer drive the Toyota as I drive that till the bottom rotted out of it. I now drive a mini-van. :D

Mini-van? Well, at least you can pile in more doughnuts in said nancy-van. :p

BlackKnight
03-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Mini van. There goes your studly image funny
Yeah, but when I pull up and the side doors open and the mini-vulcan pops out you'll change your mind.
Mini-van? Well, at least you can pile in more doughnuts in said nancy-van. :p
Absolutely! :D

Xbonz
03-07-2014, 12:07 PM
:jacked:

skosh69
03-07-2014, 07:34 PM

My bad Tony, could'a swore the last time I used that analogy, you said that you were still driving the Toyota as you were paying on your daughter's college.

So to correct myself, It's like difference between a MB G500 and a Nissan Quest. Is that better? :D

Understood. But most, if not all, of the builders I listed sell for about the same price, so the Porsche Toyota analogy doesn't equate here.

Oh, but it does to a point, S/A customs, EB, WC, NH's are twice if not three times the price of DW's and STI's. :D

It's all semantics buddy.

Bottom line, if you got $2500 to spend, you can pretty much buy from any of the manufacturer's you listed. Good luck deciding.