PDA

View Full Version : RIA Tactical II FS sharp edges

hereatsfba
03-07-2014, 01:59 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on on smoothing out the sharp edges on the safeties for my Tactical II. the grip and thumb both pinch in the web of my hand (whine, whine) I was trying to decide whether to smooth them out and risk screwing up the finish, or replacing the parts with better quality compatible pieces. I'm sure someone has already done this.
any advice would be appreciated.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee470/hereatsfba/20140306_185026.jpg (http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/hereatsfba/media/20140306_185026.jpg.html)

Riverpigusmc
03-07-2014, 08:02 AM
If it's a gap causing the pinch, fitting Wilson or Brown parts would be my choice

KeystoneWeaponBK
03-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on on smoothing out the sharp edges on the safeties for my Tactical II. the grip and thumb both pinch in the web of my hand (whine, whine) I was trying to decide whether to smooth them out and risk screwing up the finish, or replacing the parts with better quality compatible pieces. I'm sure someone has already done this.
any advice would be appreciated.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee470/hereatsfba/20140306_185026.jpg (http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/hereatsfba/media/20140306_185026.jpg.html)

I'll post a picture of mine this afternoon but mine is all smoothed out because I would rip-and-grip from the holster for IDPA and couldn't focus on my front site if my brain was distracted by "ahh, my hand is jammed in the safety!" but mine is by no means "nice" looking anymore but it sure feels nice... keep in mind mine is for function and not fashion... someday I'll fix the finish but it's very low on my priority list at the moment... my beavertail is blended a little and my safeties are all rounded over just so I don't have a bunch of sharp edges.

Let me see if I have a pic before it was blued...

sdmc530
03-07-2014, 10:17 AM
angle grinder...j/k talk to AutoMag

milkmanjoe
03-07-2014, 11:39 AM
On an old GI 1911 the grip safety was gouging me, I dipped it in Plasti Dip as a temporary solution two years ago.
Plasti Dip is a thick liquid that you can dip, say, plier handles in to recoat them. Dries rubberized, skin grips it when ya grab.
Hardly professional, but it worked.
Stuff is made by Performix, I buy it at Lowes., paint section.

KeystoneWeaponBK
03-07-2014, 03:35 PM
On an old GI 1911 the grip safety was gouging me, I dipped it in Plasti Dip as a temporary solution two years ago.
Plasti Dip is a thick liquid that you can dip, say, plier handles in to recoat them. Dries rubberized, skin grips it when ya grab.

Actually that's not a bad option... I use that stuff all the time... I have a bunch of "threaded L's" I use in my safe and dip them in that stuff so thy don't scratch the heck of of whatever I hang on them, it's fun stuff

hereatsfba
03-07-2014, 08:05 PM

That sounds interesting...... how thick is the coating ?

hereatsfba
03-07-2014, 08:10 PM
I'll post a picture of mine this afternoon but mine is all smoothed out because I would rip-and-grip from the holster for IDPA and couldn't focus on my front site if my brain was distracted by "ahh, my hand is jammed in the safety!" but mine is by no means "nice" looking anymore but it sure feels nice... keep in mind mine is for function and not fashion... someday I'll fix the finish but it's very low on my priority list at the moment... my beavertail is blended a little and my safeties are all rounded over just so I don't have a bunch of sharp edges.

Let me see if I have a pic before it was blued...

Nice picture... I feel the relief just looking at it........

OldEagleEars
03-07-2014, 11:54 PM
On my FS-Tac I de-horned those bloodthirsty paddles with a dose of Dremel. Smoothed and rounded off the edges of the base of the wings and softened the corners a bunch. I also cut one whole corrugation off the right-side wing, making it less obtrusive. Followed up by a bunch of cold-bluing that hasn't taken as well as I'd like. Frankly, I'm thinking about switching them off to a TCM and putting it's smoother, GI-standard type single paddle on in it's place. It's my home-defense pistol and I'd like it to feel more like the CS-Tac I use for a CCW.