PDA

View Full Version : Bought a used Perazzi

glassman
10-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Went to my lgs/range for some pistol shooting this past weekend and saw a Perazzi TM1 on the used rack. Even though it is an older gun, it has been well maintained and I was told it was gotten from an estate where the widow sold off all her husband's guns. It came with a leather bound case that looks more like a business man's attache than a gun case. Also came with the parts for a release trigger conversion. I got it out the door for $1700. If the weather holds, I'll take it out this weekend.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w81/glassman_photos/PerazziTM1.jpg

NAMVET72
10-20-2011, 04:31 PM
First Time I ever heard of a Shotgun becoming and Safe Jester.............

Nice

Clyde

MajO
10-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Clyde, I believe it was Pagliacci who was the jester (clown), not Perazzi.

:D:D:D

glassman
10-20-2011, 06:58 PM
I must have led a sheltered life. Not sure what a safe jester is. I know who Paliacci is but opera isn't my favorite thing.

MPrimo
10-21-2011, 04:40 PM
You've done very well for yourself for that price. That gun would easily fetch $2500 to $3000 around here. And ... it will last you a lifetime. Very nice!

glassman
10-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks mprimo. I've been researching which trap gun I wanted to buy for a while now and was pretty much settled on the Browning..either the XT or the BT99.. until I saw this in the shop. I have to admit that it was somewhat of an impulse buy but I think I did okay in both price and quality.

Sheepdog
10-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Nicely done, you may want to get an extra set of springs, if I remember right the TM1 has coil spring. Great trigger. Get lots of olive oil. LOL

glassman
10-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks sheepdog. I took it out for the first time yesterday and you are right...it does have a nice trigger. The added barrel length (compared to my citori) took a little getting used to but it all worked out. I got into a conversation with one of the old hands who said the stock is too short for me but I'm not sure he's right. When placed at the bend in my elbow, my trigger finger lands right where it should. His statement was that my nose was too close to my hand when the gun was at my shoulder. I can fit two fingers in that space. He recommended a spacer between the stock and recoil pad. I have the name of a custom stock maker and I may call on him to see what's what.

Sheepdog
10-24-2011, 08:54 PM
I prefer my trap guns a little long, personal preference. The most important thing to start with is that when you mount the gun that the two beads line up in a figure eight. No spaces, rib between the beads, and not off center or leaning 8. Providing you are, mount the gun several times so that you are sure you are mounting it the same way EVERY time. Now close your eyes mount the gun the same as you have been, when you open your eyes you should have the same perfect 8. if not you are forcing the gun to get the picture and you want it to go to the right place every time. Even if that all works take it to your stock maker and have him check to see if the eye is lining with the beads, the cant may need to be adjusted etc. If the stock is to short you can use a spacer or an adjustable butt plate which allows you to cant the pad to fit the shoulder pocket without canting the gun. You need to have it checked by someone accustomed to working with competition shotguns. Pennsylvania State Shoot would be a great place to have it checked. Contact me with where you are located and I can hook you up with a good shotgun guy. The TM1 has the best trigger Perazzi has ever made (IMHO). I shot an MX 10 for quite a while before switching to Krieghoffs. The only issue that I have with Parazzi's is the tend to be a little Whippy. I find them to be a little light in the front if this is a problem for you lead tape on the barrel will help. A consistant sight picture will keep you from developing bad habits. Keep the wood on the wood (head on stock). Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

glassman
10-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks sheepdog. I appreciate the help and encouragement. I took it to the trap range this afternoon. I figured that it being a Tuesday afternoon, I'd have the place pretty much to myself....boy was I wrong. The place was crowded with retirees and man could some of them shoot!! I got into a conversation with a couple in the group and it soon became common knowledge that I am a rookie. Long story short, I hit 19 of 25 and felt pretty good about the outcome. The guy who told me the stock is too short for me was there and said, "maybe it's not too short after all". I think I'm going to keep things just as they are and just shoot the thing.