PDA

View Full Version : Custom VBOB Repost from the other board

Mghwk
03-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Here are some relatively poor pictures of my new 10mm VBOB from Keith. I won't say how long this took, because it was so quick I'm afraid everyone would expect this. I can only imagine that, not only were there a few parts available on hand, but everything fell into place for Duty Treat cycles and such. Weeks, not months.

http://imageshack.com/a/img833/8820/zqqx.jpg

I like the look of end mill cuts on a slide, so that was a small bump in price, as was the flush cut barrel/reverse crown and countersunk slide stop. 3 dot sights complete the package along with a Harrison Design FPS stop. I've fit several EGWs, and this one was a bit easier than those even. It was nearly drop-in.

http://imageshack.com/a/img829/3522/fv3l.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img541/5935/00kl.jpg

I've heard folks speak of galling concerns with tight fit slides, but I'm convinced the level of fitting and surface prep before Duty Treat makes this a moot point. Well, that and the 70something hardness... It is obvious that DW is capable of superb fitting and finish. This is every bit the equal of a friend's EB Kobra Carry in level of finish.

I detail stripped and cleaned everything and lubed with the included FP10 oil in the gun case. Normally I use Slip 2000 for an oil and engine assembly moly grease thinned with a light cutting oil on the sear. Nothing but the stock lube for this report, though. There was no residue or evidence of machine marks anywhere on the frame. The ramped barrel was excellently fit, with less than 2/1000" barrel hood to breech clearance and solid lockup with no springing. Barrel to bushing fit was dead on and didn't feel tight. Bushing to slide was finger tight, no wrench needed.

Reassembled, trigger was 4lb4oz with zero creep and imperceptible overtravel. Reset is the cleanest and shortest of any 1911 I've seen. After a 1000 round trigger job, I will retest. I've seen drops of up to 1lb by using the moly lube on the sear, but not sure how this one will fare and the trigger is so good, I'm not looking to improve anything.

Barrel ramp was clean and bright, displaying some factory polish, with a clean breakover into the chamber and ample case support. The extractor was perfectly tuned and showed evidence of care by the factory.

The included mags were a surprise. I don't know who makes them, but they are 9 round 10mm mags with a medium polymer base plate and metal follower. They load easily, but I'm not sure if seating a full 9 round mag with the slide closed is feasible. I typically carry a full 9 round mag as a spare (insert shameless MagHolder.com plug ) and load the first of the carry rounds from the top of a 9 round mag. Total loadout for EDC is 17 rounds. I have had good luck with Wilson 47NX Mags, but I'm going to give these a go and see if they ever hiccup.

http://imageshack.com/a/img841/6706/enmq.jpg

Range time consisted of 40 rounds of DoubleTap 155gr Bonded Gold Dot and 50 rounds of Remington UMC. I threw in a few blazer aluminum cased loads just to see if they work. They usually don't.

The gun ran everything perfectly, with nothing even approaching a failure. The stock 20# recoil spring strips the rounds easily and the gun locks up like a bank vault. The thumb safety is very satisfying and comfortable to shoot with. Checkering and the included low profile VZ grips are plenty aggressive, which is how I set my guns up. No need for skater tape here.

Groups were shot at 10, 15, and 25 (not shown) yards on my local indoor range. they have digital distance display, so these are real distances. Groups are as good as I am capable of while the little bit of extra "wow" factor probably improved my shooting. I will probably move the rear sight a few 1/1000" to compensate for an extremely small right bias in the groups (.75" at 10 yards) and will experiment with loads before adjusting elevation with the front sight. It is 1" low at 10 yards.

This appears to be an exceptional pistol and exceptional value. I had to really think to find things I wanted to change on the VBOB, and I am glad to have an honest to goodness 10mm VBOB. Thanks to Keith and the folks at DW for a great product from a great brand. Incidentally, I even got a shipping notice for this pistol to my FFL from the CEO of CZ-USA along with a note thanking me for the order. Keith is a gentleman who is truly concerned with the customer. CZ is lucky to have that crew at DW.

douglas_knott
03-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Nice. I like it.

sdmc530
03-28-2014, 02:21 PM
very nice..in 10mm too..if you need help shooting it let me know!

BadOscar
03-28-2014, 11:04 PM
Wow, really nice. It looks like a shooter too, great targets.

Sheepdog
03-28-2014, 11:24 PM
Sweet, I'm a 10mm addict!

Caleb
03-29-2014, 12:36 AM
Badassery to the fullest! Nice pistol.

ColMike
03-29-2014, 06:23 AM
looking good!

VBOB83
04-28-2014, 04:02 PM
10mm V-Bob, me want it bad.

sdmc530
04-28-2014, 05:02 PM
10mm V-Bob, me want it bad.

a meatloaf fan...I love the food but the singer? Who let you in:p

Xbonz
04-28-2014, 05:45 PM
a meatloaf fan...I love the food but the singer? Who let you in:p

What's the matter with Meatloaf, you young whippersnapper?