PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat Magazines

Lane
04-14-2011, 01:28 AM
I picked up a Wilson Combat 500 Mag at Cabelas a while back, and really like how well it works - with all my 1911's. I never realized how much difference a good mag makes. I'd like to get a couple more - especially one or two in black, but don't want to pay more than necessary. Has anyone found a good source online to pick them up?

Lane

Cap
04-14-2011, 09:34 AM
i'm not familiar with their "combat 500" mags, Lane

Just 47d and EMT

The last three 47d's I bought came from Cabela's last summer
It was a three pack deal for $79 or $89 (?) if i recall

Maybe it's still going on

..L.T.A.

Lane
04-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Sorry - 500 or 500b for the black version - is the same as the ETM.

titanse05
04-14-2011, 11:52 AM
http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/products/WILSON-MAG-ETM-.45ACP-8RD.html

Here is the lowest price I could find. Free shipping with orders over $150

wxl
04-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Interesting but I will stick with stainless. All my 1911s are SS except the Springer Loaded (parked)

Horse'nround
04-15-2011, 01:58 PM
What's the follower in this version? I have a few 47D's, they work fine in my Eclipse, but CBOB doesn't like them so much. I should say the slide lock doesn't like the plastic followers, they don't hook up well and it's a pain pullin a mag with a slidelock wedgy...:mad:

Lane
04-15-2011, 02:12 PM
http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/products/WILSON-MAG-ETM-.45ACP-8RD.html

Here is the lowest price I could find. Free shipping with orders over $150

What's funny is the picture shows the black mag, but the description is stainless. The stainless are fine, I'd just like a black one form my Pony.

dsparkie
04-26-2011, 09:51 AM
© 2011 BrianEnos.com, Inc.

THIS GUY HAS THEM IN STAINLESS FOR 31.95! I've bought off him before, seems to be very prompt with getting the product to you!:)

Lane
04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
© 2011 BrianEnos.com, Inc.

THIS GUY HAS THEM IN STAINLESS FOR 31.95! I've bought off him before, seems to be very prompt with getting the product to you!:)

I didn't think to check with him - I bought my Dillon reloading setup from BrianEnos and have been very pleased with their customer support.

Thanks for the pointer!

Lane

Dave Waits
04-26-2011, 11:51 AM
What's the follower in this version? I have a few 47D's, they work fine in my Eclipse, but CBOB doesn't like them so much. I should say the slide lock doesn't like the plastic followers, they don't hook up well and it's a pain pullin a mag with a slidelock wedgy...:mad:

Huh. I've got 47D followers(#19 follower kits) in all my CMC Match-Grades, they feed and operate flawlessly in all six of my 1911s, including the one 'whose name shall not be mentioned'.

maybe it's the tubes?

dsparkie
04-26-2011, 06:37 PM
I didn't think to check with him - I bought my Dillon reloading setup from BrianEnos and have been very pleased with their customer support.

Thanks for the pointer!

Lane

Hope it helps brother!!

Dale

SharpestJim
09-22-2016, 09:43 AM
I'm considering picking up a couple of spare mags for my Nighthawk Bob Marvel Custom. The BMC came with two mags, one a blued 8-round made by ACT. It seems fine. The other is a stainless 8-round that does not indicate a manufacturer. It doesn't want to seat when loaded with eight rounds.

It seems like Wilson mags have a 90+ percent approval rating. Most users rave about them and many won't buy anything else. I was hoping that someone could explain the differences between the assortment of models that Wilson offers. The 47D seems to be very popular but there's also the 800 in addition to the 500. And then there are various iterations of all three main models. What makes a mag suitable for +P ammo like the 500A-HD? Is it "better" than a standard 500? What about the 800 series Vickers mags? The price differences aren't all that great from one model to the next. It's not like I'm buying ten - just one or two. So a $10-$15 difference doesn't concern me that much.

Does anyone know if Nighthawks are finicky with regard to Wilson mags in general?

BadOscar
09-24-2016, 07:21 PM
I personally like the long skirt follower style magazines that have metal on the slide stop engagement surface. The long skirt follower design stays straight as it rides up and down in the tube and seems to be more consistent in round presentation from first to last. The metal on the slide stop engagement surface is a no brainier if you think about it and it's just a place I don't really want plastic in a gun I use a lot. I had a bad experience with a magazine that is made by a company with one of the best marketing departments in the world. Very good company and I like a lot of their products, just not magazines. Said magazine wore the plastic where it contacts the slide stop enough that it would no longer lock the slide back. I own and use both magazines in this picture with those 2 attributes I mention as well as many others but the 2 brands of magazine I like the best and use in guns that I shoot a lot are those 2. A bit old and not inclusive of a lot of new magazines but a good article to read about magazines here:
http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/feeding-time.html

http://www.oceanpalace.com/cotep/1911followers.jpg

SharpestJim
09-25-2016, 08:32 AM
Thanks, BO. Good info.

Coincidentally, I found that web site just the other day after after seeing a link in an old thread on The High Road. I bookmarked that site. Great information.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Much appreciated.