PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Leather

edgehill
04-18-2014, 01:32 PM
I've been trying to listen to my doctor and wife and lose a little weight. So far it's been going well, but nothing major to brag about.

The issue is that I'm at the point where my belts are too big and will need new belts soon. I've looked at a few leather belt websites, the most recent was the A&G Leather.

The question I have is what is the difference between the bull hide leather and the horse hide leather? Other than price. Does the horse hide last longer? Is it more comfortable? Better looking?

I'll probably be buying one in the next few weeks, and I couldn't find a reasonable explanation other than preference.

Caleb
04-18-2014, 01:45 PM
I dont have an answer for your question but, you will not be disappointed with A&G. Also, the Rigid Holster belts are also great. I have both and they are of equal quality and comfort.

edgehill
04-18-2014, 02:02 PM
I dont have an answer for your question but, you will not be disappointed with A&G. Also, the Rigid Holster belts are also great. I have both and they are of equal quality and comfort.

Wizzy at Rigid just announced that he wasn't doing belts anymore (for now?). He said he can build six holsters for two belts, and he is focusing on the holsters. A&G is on the hit list for me.

milkmanjoe
04-18-2014, 02:38 PM
I know if you buy an IWB holster horsehide is said to be better for sweat. I have an Mtac in horsehide, about four years now, it is like brand new. And it only gets used during hot months when I need to conceal full size without a fishing shirt like in Winter.

Xbonz
04-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Look here for some help:

http://www.thebeltman.net/

Riverpigusmc
04-18-2014, 02:55 PM
I have 4 of Al's belts, one being in horsehide. Horsehide is somewhat stiffer than bullhide, and also handles sweat and moisture better. Get the 7 hole option, easier when you convert from owb to iwb

Xbonz
04-18-2014, 03:00 PM
One other possible difference of note. Bullhide may well have a lot of scarring and/or texture due to the age of the animals. Adds to the look of the leather...

edgehill
04-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was planning on the 7-hole and will probably get it from A&G with all the recommendations.

milkmanjoe
04-18-2014, 05:50 PM
I have 4 of Al's belts, one being in horsehide. Horsehide is somewhat stiffer than bullhide, and also handles sweat and moisture better. Get the 7 hole option, easier when you convert from owb to iwb

Wish you would let me in on that secret before I was married....:D

Lane
04-18-2014, 06:04 PM
I believe that due to the testosterone, bull hide is stronger. I've never used it, so couldn't say. I know it's more expensive. Horse hide is naturally sweat (moisture) resistant, so makes a great lining. But that resistance also makes it tough to stain or add color to. I've never worked with it - my distributor doesn't carry it and I can't bear the thoughts of using a dead horse... :)

Lane

Riverpigusmc
04-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Once you get married it can morph into the no hole option:p

DaFadda
04-18-2014, 08:58 PM
I finally broke down and bought a bullhide belt. Its thick, strong, and my 1911 doesn't sag anymore. Expensive, but absolutely worth it. Since I just lost 80 pounds, I had to take the belt to my local cobbler who cut it down for me. If you have your old belts cut, do it from the buckle end. Here's the Bullhide website:

http://www.bullhidebelts.com/?gclid=CLTjkt-r670CFTIV7AodZhIAcQ

edgehill
04-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks Lane. I appreciate your insight. My family had horses in high school and college. I understand not wanting to use that.

DaFadda, thanks for the website. Good link.

milkmanjoe
04-19-2014, 03:22 AM
Once you get married it can morph into the no hole option:p

You ain't kiddin'......a wedding ring and kids can leave a guy with Sally Thumb and her four horny sisters!

Shark1007
05-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Edge

Horsehide is hard to beat. I have several belts and just ordered another A&G horsehide today. It's stiffer, shinier and still comfortable. I think it does the best job.

herefordman1
05-14-2014, 01:34 PM
I just got my second belt from AG. Both were bullhide and I'm pleased with them.
The new belt will be really stiff for a good while. The first one lasted three years.

Jim

douglas_knott
05-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Love both of my A&G bullhide belts.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

captainpalace
05-14-2014, 10:01 PM
I believe that due to the testosterone, bull hide is stronger.

Bull hide is more expensive...
My first and only bull hide belt was from the beltman....
For the price I paid, I got two cow hide belts from another maker that have held up just as well....
I'll never pay for bull hide again... not worth the cost!

Barbie
08-05-2014, 03:56 PM
wish I was on your place changing belts due to size (reduction).

Edge, I believe the main difference in Fl weather is the tolerance for moisture. You should consider that, but being stiffer & stronger, I went for the bullhide (or cowhide..trully I did not check gender) both for IWB holster and belt. I don't put that much stress in belts, as I go without them most of the time, but the holster has taken a good amount of sweat, fresh [and occassionally salt water], directly to the leather without much deterioration... 3+ years and counting.

edgehill
08-05-2014, 04:59 PM
wish I was on your place changing belts due to size (reduction).

Edge, I believe the main difference in Fl weather is the tolerance for moisture. You should consider that, but being stiffer & stronger, I went for the bullhide (or cowhide..trully I did not check gender) both for IWB holster and belt. I don't put that much stress in belts, as I go without them most of the time, but the holster has taken a good amount of sweat, fresh [and occassionally salt water], directly to the leather without much deterioration... 3+ years and counting.

Good point.

brownie
08-05-2014, 05:02 PM

This ^

AdamG247 (Navy-Ret)
08-05-2014, 05:25 PM
I can personally highly recommend Bullhide Belts. I have several and they are by far the best gun belts I have ever owned. Occasionally they run special sales. Register and wait for an email alert. Prices are very competitive and top notch quality.

Here is a link: http://www.bullhidebelts.com/

MPDC
08-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Andy, until your weight settles at a long term number, I suggest getting a relatively inexpensive 511 Casual belt. Kydex stiffener and decent looking . I have used them for several years and really like them. I have more expensive gun belts but always seem to pick a 511 for shorts or jeans. Around forty bucks I think and hold up well.:)

edgehill
08-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks Wayne. Good point.