PDA

View Full Version : Which Veteran Organizations Do You Donate To?

BlackKnight
04-26-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm a sucker for veterans. (Yeah, I know. There's a joke in there.)
Anyway, I'm regular contributor to Toys for Tots (http://http://toysfortots.org/default.aspx) and used to for the Wounded Warrior Projec (http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/)t until I read somewhere where they were doing some underhanded stuff.
So, I'm sitting here watching drag racing and one of the drivers was talking about Infinite Hero. (http://infinitehero.org/)
My question is two fold. Have anyone heard of Infinite Hero? If so, any good?
Also, if you donate, what programs do you donate to or feel is a worthwhile cause for our veterans.
Thank you.

NAMVET72
04-26-2014, 07:37 PM
American Legion, VFW, and the same ones you Do................

Clyde

milkmanjoe
04-26-2014, 10:54 PM
I keep a 10 acre parcel w house up in SC that is regularly used by Marines to take a break from Beaufort Marine Corps Air Station and a few from Parris Island. We also throw Marine Appreciation Day, four kegs beer, 400 hot dogs, 400 hamburgers and a huge two day bonfire in our horse pasture. Marines, Marine wives and children have alot of fun. We shoot before the booze is opened, then everybody turns on the same country station on their truck radio in the horse pasture, we light the fire and cook and drink. I like to see my money enjoyed, so I keep it personal. Goes from Saturday at noon to Sunday whenever they head back towards base to ready for Monday.

BlackKnight
04-26-2014, 11:15 PM
I keep a 10 acre parcel w house up in SC that is regularly used by Marines to take a break from Beaufort Marine Corps Air Station and a few from Parris Island. We also throw Marine Appreciation Day, four kegs beer, 400 hot dogs, 400 hamburgers and a huge two day bonfire in our horse pasture. Marines, Marine wives and children have alot of fun. We shoot before the booze is opened, then everybody turns on the same country station on their truck radio in the horse pasture, we light the fire and cook and drink. I like to see my money enjoyed, so I keep it personal. Goes from Saturday at noon to Sunday whenever they head back towards base to ready for Monday.
That is awesome!

milkmanjoe
04-27-2014, 12:28 AM
That is awesome!

Actually, I consider it selfish on my part. When I graduated high school in 1976 it was the one year where zero registration was available. No draft, no registering with the Post Office...nothing. Groups of us went to Passaic, NJ, to sign on and get out of "Small Town, USA". (Wallington, NJ) At that time we were all turned away, told the Military was downsizing as Vietnam was kaput. I was also told as I was the son of a farmer and the only way I would be taken was in a time of national emergency. So I moved on to trade school and did well in high pressure boilers and air conditioning. Not one kid from my school from years before 1976 to years after served in the Military, yet later in life I learned that men and women were still able to enlist, just not from our area. Maybe other areas too, I don't know. My hometown has multiple War Memorials, a strong Military history for a square mile town, but not after a few were killed in Vietnam. Those men were five or six years older than I. A few came home and committed suicide. I could drone on and on, but instead I give Marines a safe haven, an open phone line, and my wife goes into town to Food Lion and walks up to Military wives and instructs them to "shop away", today's groceries are a Thank You gift. I don't feel guilty that I didn't get to serve, that is long gone, but it is self serving to feel good helping those that did or are serving. So I am selfishly being nice, sharing, if that makes sense.

edgehill
04-27-2014, 07:30 AM
That's incredible Joe. I'm in awe.

sdmc530
04-27-2014, 09:28 AM
VFW....the one my dad is involved in....

RandallZ
04-27-2014, 09:32 AM
So I am selfishly being nice, sharing, if that makes sense.

Not selfish at all. What you're doing is generous and gracious. Thank you.

So, I'm sitting here watching drag racing and one of the drivers was talking about Infinite Hero. (http://infinitehero.org/)
My question is two fold. Have anyone heard of Infinite Hero? If so, any good?

I hadn't heard of them, but they're only a couple of years old.

Because my mother-in-law has a bit of old age dementia, she's a sucker for charity causes. I've been helping my wife sort out the good from the bad by reading their financials (IRS 990 forms). Interesting reading if you're unsure about whom to donate towards. That said, I've just looked at Infinite Hero's 2012 990, and it looks good.

IH's funding comes primarily from a trademark licensing royalty with Oakley. They give monetary grants to other organizations, and none of the board members take any salary. The organizations they have given grants to look legit. Totally the opposite of Wounded Warrior in my opinion.

Randall

Caleb
04-27-2014, 10:32 AM
I was giving to Wounded Warriors but, but now I will have to research what'sgoing on with them.

Joe, you are a good man....much respect, Sir.

BlackKnight
04-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Actually, I consider it selfish on my part. When I graduated high school in 1976 it was the one year where zero registration was available. No draft, no registering with the Post Office...nothing. Groups of us went to Passaic, NJ, to sign on and get out of "Small Town, USA". (Wallington, NJ) At that time we were all turned away, told the Military was downsizing as Vietnam was kaput. I was also told as I was the son of a farmer and the only way I would be taken was in a time of national emergency. So I moved on to trade school and did well in high pressure boilers and air conditioning. Not one kid from my school from years before 1976 to years after served in the Military, yet later in life I learned that men and women were still able to enlist, just not from our area. Maybe other areas too, I don't know. My hometown has multiple War Memorials, a strong Military history for a square mile town, but not after a few were killed in Vietnam. Those men were five or six years older than I. A few came home and committed suicide. I could drone on and on, but instead I give Marines a safe haven, an open phone line, and my wife goes into town to Food Lion and walks up to Military wives and instructs them to "shop away", today's groceries are a Thank You gift. I don't feel guilty that I didn't get to serve, that is long gone, but it is self serving to feel good helping those that did or are serving. So I am selfishly being nice, sharing, if that makes sense.
I was living in Paterson in '76. Anyway, I know about guilt, but that's for another time. I don't think in your case you have anything to worry about.
For every thousands of people that jut talk about supporting the military you actually live it. I applaud you, sir.

Snipersnest
04-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Tony, there's a web site from the state of New Jersey which will tell you what charities collect and how much gets back to the people they're supposedly collecting for. I can't find where I put it, but it'll probably pop up if you google it.

milkmanjoe
04-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Tony, there's a web site from the state of New Jersey which will tell you what charities collect and how much gets back to the people they're supposedly collecting for. I can't find where I put it, but it'll probably pop up if you google it.

This is why I give in person. I just do not trust people to get enough of my $$ to where I want it to go.
Funny thing about Marines, not one has ever asked for anything or taken any cash. They just don't do that. Is why I provide a place of quiet, beer and a phone number. If you wanna feed a Marine the best way is to give them a post hole digger and put a string where you want the fence. They'll eat the food and drink the beer when the fence is up. If you wanna show a Marine a good time with no work invite his wife and kids, get them off base or out of housing. Then throw a party.
My kids have learned ALOT from Marines up in SC. When my younger son was in a batting slump he reminded himself he has to look inside himself, grab the job and bust it out. Fisher taught him that when he was six. As of this morning the league has him batting .575, with a pitching ERA of 00.00, tops in the league. Giving is a two way street.

Sheepdog
04-27-2014, 03:45 PM
The problem with "Wounded Warrior Project" is they are anti gun. You can google it. They are willing to take money from charity shoots etc. But they are anti gun and will not be affiliated with anything involving guns. Other than take their checks. I no longer contribute to WWP, there are plenty of organizations that appreciate gun owners that I can contribute to. WWP has become like so many good causes, they get so big they get political and forget what their objective was.

milkmanjoe
04-27-2014, 04:56 PM
The problem with "Wounded Warrior Project" is they are anti gun. You can google it. They are willing to take money from charity shoots etc. But they are anti gun and will not be affiliated with anything involving guns. Other than take their checks. I no longer contribute to WWP, there are plenty of organizations that appreciate gun owners that I can contribute to. WWP has become like so many good causes, they get so big they get political and forget what their objective was.

Here is my problem.....the salaries.....I will never say anyone should work for free, but if something is really in your heart you don't need to be paid $330,000.00 a year cause it is in line with industry standards.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/wounded-warrior-project-spends-58-of-donations-on-veterans-programs/2132493