PDA

View Full Version : Question of the minutes

sdmc530
05-05-2014, 05:31 PM
What do you guys prefer to load lead or other.

I don't load much lead at all but the cost is very appealing. I use Hornady for self d loads and Rainer, Berry's for range rounds for my .45.

I am so tempted to use lead because of cost. I can get them from a LGS for 1/2 the price of plated....

Talk me into or out of it..what do you use.....

Does anyone use lead in the 10MM? I use Hornady and Nosler for my 10MM mostly because they are the only ones you can push out to 1400+....

thanks

If this has been talked about before I apologize in advance

NAMVET72
05-05-2014, 05:54 PM
45 ACP Lead for targets, FMJ for SD same with 357 mag, rifle Ballistic Tip, or FMJ,

Clyde

douglas_knott
05-05-2014, 06:12 PM
I don't use much lead anymore to be honest. Just my preference.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

TLE2
05-05-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't use lead because the range i use requires plated bullets. I haven't fired a pure lead bullet since my muzzleloader days.

Colt Hammerless
05-05-2014, 06:28 PM
I like lead for cost reasons. Several years ago I decided to buy a pistol in .40 because of all the free brass that I kept finding at the range. I picked up a Steyr M40 because it has standard non-polygonal rifling and a fully supported chamber (unlike some .40 designs) specifically so I could shoot lead in it. Oh, and it's a cool gun, that you could buy new at the time for $300! I also shoot lead in .45 auto.

Paul

Riverpigusmc
05-05-2014, 07:56 PM
I load lead 230 grain from Falcon bullets....good price, fast shipping. .45 doesn't go fast enough to worry about much leading, and what little there is, a couple passes with Chore Boy takes it out. In 10mm, I think leading would come into play

DrHenley
05-05-2014, 09:58 PM
If you really want to save money, cast your own. My current batch of 45 ACP components cost 7 cents per round. Before Obama got elected it was 5 cents per round. Inflation's a b*tch :)

To put it in perspective: $3.50 per box of 50. $70 per THOUSAND rounds.

My SIG Ultra Carry has never had a jacketed round through it since I bought it. Neither has my 44 Special Charter Target Bulldog.

sdmc530
05-05-2014, 10:09 PM
I may have to look at lead a bit more searosly for range shooting. I dont' worry about the leading, I can clean that out....

I can not cast at home, not set up for that and really don't want to..someday maybe...

sdmc530
05-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Had anyone had any ACME lead? Just saw it today at a LGS here, looked ok cheap enough but never heard of it...

skosh69
05-05-2014, 10:37 PM
I've tried lead cast...ok for outdoor ranges...too smokey for indoor ranges. I'll stick to plated bullets from Xtreme.

DrHenley
05-05-2014, 10:44 PM
I've tried lead cast...ok for outdoor ranges...too smokey for indoor ranges.

What creates the smoke is the lube. I use Lee Liquid Alox (tumble lube), and there is not much smoke. My cast loads with Trail Boss burn cleaner than the jacketed loads with HP-38 I was using previously.

Sheepdog
05-05-2014, 11:36 PM
No lead for me. I try to limit my exposure as much as possible.

AutoMag
05-06-2014, 11:43 AM
No lead here also. Never used it and never will. Well except in a shotgun!!!:)

I will stick with the plated bullets that I have. Besides, my carry and range practice ammo are one and the same.

skosh69
05-06-2014, 07:49 PM
What creates the smoke is the lube. I use Lee Liquid Alox (tumble lube), and there is not much smoke. My cast loads with Trail Boss burn cleaner than the jacketed loads with HP-38 I was using previously.

Gotcha. Well, I've had home brewed lc and one's I bought from Falcon. Both loaded over W-231 and both smoked something awful, the Falcons more that the homemade ones. Only time I enjoyed shooting them was outdoors on a windy day. I traded the last of my lc for some grips.

No offense, I'll stick with plated.

No lead for me. I try to limit my exposure as much as possible.

This also came to mind.

Riverpigusmc
05-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Gotcha. Well, I've had home brewed lc and one's I bought from Falcon. Both loaded over W-231 and both smoked something awful, the Falcons more that the homemade ones. Only time I enjoyed shooting them was outdoors on a windy day. I traded the last of my lc for some grips.

No offense, I'll stick with plated.

This also came to mind.

You're already brain damaged...might as well save money, lead ain't agonna make it worse :p