PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing range day

Xbonz
06-12-2014, 04:09 PM
Took the 9mm Rock to the range today. Was NOT a good day. Running Blazer brass and S&B brass FMJ had dozens of FTF. Don't know if it was the mags or the gun, but needless to say the pistol is at the gunsmith.

When it fired it was dead on accurate, but this is not a piece I would consider carrying under any circumstances as of now...:(

One bright note, the recently acquired P226 ran like a well oiled machine.:)

Lonestar grips.
06-12-2014, 04:13 PM
was this your first time out with it or did you shoot it when you got it? maybe it was the ammo.

Xbonz
06-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Third time out.. I hope this pistol ain't picky when it comes to range ammo...

milkmanjoe
06-12-2014, 04:33 PM
That sucks, I feel your pain.

NAMVET72
06-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Geeze Leeze it could need broken in or the mags or just you being to picky............:D

Clyde

Xbonz
06-12-2014, 05:14 PM
I own one or two S/A pistols including 5 other 1911s. Never had this number of FTFeed in any of them.. It was like shoot one, tap-rack-fire. Tap-rack-fire. Shoot two tap-rack-fire through 100 rounds.. Also had some struggles loading the metalform mags, so I guess there's always a possibility of it being the ammo. Will know more in a few weeks when I hear back from the smith..

NAMVET72
06-12-2014, 05:27 PM
RIA has a lifetime warranty.......................................... .:D

Clyde

Xbonz
06-12-2014, 05:51 PM
RIA has a lifetime warranty.......................................... .:D

Clyde

Yes I know. But I have a local smith who is very good and extremely reasonably priced. If it's something minor I'd just as soon have him handle it. Big issue, then it's going back.

Caleb
06-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Good luck Bro, hope it straightens out for you.

Riverpigusmc
06-12-2014, 06:52 PM
when you say "tap rack bang", I take it you were doing emergency action drills. Did you look to see if the slide was going into battery, or was it stopping just shy? Sometimes it's best to slow down and look to see what the pistol is doing...if it wasn't going fully into battery, it COULD be the ammo's OAL was more than this pistol likes. If it was stovepiping, it could be extractor tension....but if you didn't have this problem on previous trips, I'd vote for ammo or mags.

Xbonz
06-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Was not intentionally doing tap/rack drills. Just got in some unintended practice. I'd fire a round, it would eject and slide would go forward. Pull the trigger and nothing. A few times I dropped the mag, racked then reinserted the mag. Sometimes I just racked it and continued. Truthfully I wasn't examining the position of the slide. My bad for sure. Looking back at it now the one thing I'm not sure of is whether or not the hammer was cocked when I tried to fire. I was focusing on the target not the pistol. Trying to see it in my mind but not sure. Hmmm???

No stovepipes however.

Riverpigusmc
06-12-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm going to guess you were not going into full battery. Happens to me if I have shaved lead on my reloads. I end up having to tap the end of the slide to finish closing it. If your pistol was with you, you could do the plunk test with the ammo you were using

Xbonz
06-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Plunk test?:confused:

skosh69
06-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Dayum, that sucks. Contact John aka Automag.

Riverpigusmc
06-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Plunk test?:confused:

Yup. Go to 1911forum.com and do a search. Instructions complete with illustrations

Basically taking the barrel out of your pistol, dropping a round in. If you hear a "plunk" and the case rim is even with the barrel hood, the round is fine and not hitting the lands, and will feed in the chamber

Xbonz
06-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks..

DrHenley
06-12-2014, 08:47 PM
What's your round count so far on that pistol?

It may just need breaking in. I had that with my Sig Fastback, but not as bad. First trip to the range was flawless, then I had some failures to go into battery on the second trip. The rear slide engagement was so tight that a small amount of powder fouling was all it took to keep it from going all the way forward. I could detect some resistance to going into battery even on an empty chamber. Just needed firing more and to be run clean and wet for a while.

GD2A
06-12-2014, 08:54 PM
See ... a 1911 in 9x19 has too damn many 9's & 1's :D

All kidding aside, while it's a PITA at least you have a lifetime warranty behind the gun!

Xbonz
06-12-2014, 09:05 PM
What's your round count so far on that pistol?

It may just need breaking in. I had that with my Sig Fastback, but not as bad. First trip to the range was flawless, then I had some failures to go into battery on the second trip. The rear slide engagement was so tight that a small amount of powder fouling was all it took to keep it from going all the way forward. I could detect some resistance to going into battery even on an empty chamber. Just needed firing more and to be run clean and wet for a while.

I've got about 200-250 rnds through it. I squirted a bit of oil on the rails when it started but nothing came of it. I keep going back to how much of a PITA it was to load the mags. Just don't know if it was me or the mags Time will tell...

Sheepdog
06-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Get your thumb off the slide.:D

Xbonz
06-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Get your thumb off the slide.:D

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9VqWp5kbOUU/UW8i2o8XxiI/AAAAAAAAAqY/JLrRxLcq6b4/s288/1.jpg

Now why didn't I think of that??? funny

Xbonz
06-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks to Scott the mystery may be solved. I changed my grip to one where my left thumb rested on the frame, good possibility I was impeding the slide... Thank you sir.

Caleb
06-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Hopefully, that is all it is.... Been there, done that.

Riverpigusmc
06-13-2014, 05:36 PM
When I shoot thumbs forward, my left (strong) thumb rests on the safety, weak thumb on frame under that

Xbonz
06-13-2014, 07:29 PM
I usually have my thumbs fairly close together. Short thumbs doncha know? This time out I tried the grip as it is shown in the RIA video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXmDa6lcB5c

Guess there's a chance my thumb was putting pressure on the slide. Going to pick up the pistol and try it my normal way and see how it goes.

sstpierre
06-14-2014, 03:49 PM
I usually have my thumbs fairly close together. Short thumbs doncha know? This time out I tried the grip as it is shown in the RIA video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXmDa6lcB5c

Guess there's a chance my thumb was putting pressure on the slide. Going to pick up the pistol and try it my normal way and see how it goes.

Good luck my friend! Where do you shoot? Lets get in a range day sometime, if my current ammo supply allows!

Xbonz
06-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Good luck my friend! Where do you shoot? Lets get in a range day sometime, if my current ammo supply allows!

Usually just go to Hotshots in Holly Hill. Off on Tues and Thur...

sstpierre
06-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Usually just go to Hotshots in Holly Hill. Off on Tues and Thur...
How much does it usually cost for your trip there? Do they allow you to bring your own ammo?

DaFadda
06-14-2014, 05:34 PM
How much does it usually cost for your trip there? Do they allow you to bring your own ammo?

Sorry... I got to ask..... "do they allow you to bring your own ammo????"..... I'd be hard pressed to shoot anywhere that I couldn't "bring my own home rolled" to the dance.. much less tell me I had to purchase their "remanufactured" (aka reloaded) ammo. Help me understand this... because what you said is unheard of here in CT.
DaFadda

Xbonz
06-14-2014, 05:41 PM

$10 to shoot. Targets $1.00.. Bring your own ammo. They also rent guns but you must buy their ammo.

Xbonz
06-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Sorry... I got to ask..... "do they allow you to bring your own ammo????"..... I'd be hard pressed to shoot anywhere that I couldn't "bring my own home rolled" to the dance.. much less tell me I had to purchase their "remanufactured" (aka reloaded) ammo. Help me understand this... because what you said is unheard of here in CT.
DaFadda

My educated guess is that some ranges don't want reloads due to the "danger" factor. They also look to make as much profit as possible by forcing you to buy their ammo. Not many of these around that I'm aware of, but there are some.

edgehill
06-14-2014, 07:53 PM
There are a number of ranges around here with bans on reloads in South Florida. One that I shot at had a blown up revolver as their reason. Most here allow you to bring your own, along as its not steel core (the place I like best uses a wand like TSA to check your ammo, but they allow reloads).

There is a place nearby that I've never gone to that requires you to buy their ammo. It's why I don't go there. Also most of the places I've rented guns at require you to buy their ammo.