PDA

View Full Version : Government .380acp

Caleb
06-15-2014, 01:36 PM
My only Colt at this time, hope to ad a big brother some day.

http://i.imgur.com/mwAPR7n.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/vfqqqgI.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/7NPg5ba.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/6S704pu.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/NkOtT4k.jpg?1

DaFadda
06-15-2014, 03:44 PM
We Need More INFO! what is is... when? how much? Just sayin.......i have the Mustang +2. would love to hear more about this.
DaFadda

Caleb
06-15-2014, 04:38 PM
We Need More INFO! what is is... when? how much? Just sayin.......i have the Mustang +2. would love to hear more about this.
DaFadda

I know very little, been searching for info on this cool pistol.

Supposedly, these were made for a General's b.u.g. or even his sidearm. But, mainly used for inaugural purposes. I believe they came out in 1984ish.

It's a mini 1911 in almost every way. It feild strips the same way as its bigger brothers. The differences are in the firing components. The trigger has a pivot point and swings like modern non 1911 firearms. But, it looks like one.

Its a great shooter and NO, IT'S NOT FOR SALE! funny

girphoto
06-15-2014, 06:20 PM
I know very little, been searching for info on this cool pistol.

Supposedly, these were made for a General's b.u.g. or even his sidearm. But, mainly used for inaugural purposes. I believe they came out in 1984ish.

It's a mini 1911 in almost every way. It feild strips the same way as its bigger brothers. The differences are in the firing components. The trigger has a pivot point and swings like modern non 1911 firearms. But, it looks like one.

Its a great shooter and NO, IT'S NOT FOR SALE! funny
Hi Caleb

Looks like one just sold at auction sale

This is from the sale

Colt MK IV/Series 80 Government Model 380 semi-auto pistol, .380 cal., 3-1/4” barrel, blue finish, checkered medallion black hard rubber grips, #RC06204. This gun is in overall fine condition showing approx. 90%original finish, fine bore, crisp action and markings, fine grips with the right grip missing its two securing screws. Est.: $250-$450.

Info******

This Colt Mk IV Series 80 Government Model was manufactured in 1984 according to the company records. It is a self-loading, recoil operated, semi-automatic pistol that is chambered for the .380 ACP cartridge. The pistol has been designed to operate as a single action firearm that utilizes an external hammer and a locked breech. The Patridge sights includes a blade front sight and a square notch rear sight that is drift adjustable for windage only. The Mk IV is fed by a single column 7 round detachable box magazine. The pistol utilizes a push button magazine release located on the left side of the receiver in front of the grip. The manual thumb safety is located behind the left grip and must be in the fire position before the slide is allowed to move rearward. The pistol has a 3 1/4 inch barrel and an overall length of 6.15 inches and an unloaded weight of 21 3/4 ounces. This firearm does employ a slide hold open mechanism to inform the operator that the last round has been fired. The finish is a deep Colt blue. The checkered grip panels are a cream colored plastic and sport a gold Colt logo with the famous rampant Colt symbol in the middle of each grip. The trigger and recoil spring guide are made of plastic.
The Colt Mk IV Series 80 Government Model chambered in .380 ACP caliber was in production from 1984 to 1997.
The .380 Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge has a bullet diameter of .355 inches and was first introduced by Colt in 1908. It is also known as the 9mm Short, 9mm Browning, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Corto and 9x17mm. The cartridge was originally designed for the early blowback pistols that lacked a barrel locking mechanism commonly known as a locked breech design. The .380 ACP round travels at a rate of about 1000 feet per second and with a 90 to 95 grain projectile, it can deliver between 200 and 205 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. For comparison, a .38 special round travels at a rate of around 980 feet per second and with a 110 grain projectile it can produce around 235 foot pounds of muzzle energy. Which makes the .38 special slightly more powerful than the .380 ACP round.

GaryR

Caleb
06-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Hi Caleb

Looks like one just sold at auction sale

This is from the sale

Colt MK IV/Series 80 Government Model 380 semi-auto pistol, .380 cal., 3-1/4” barrel, blue finish, checkered medallion black hard rubber grips, #RC06204. This gun is in overall fine condition showing approx. 90%original finish, fine bore, crisp action and markings, fine grips with the right grip missing its two securing screws. Est.: $250-$450.

Info******

This Colt Mk IV Series 80 Government Model was manufactured in 1984 according to the company records. It is a self-loading, recoil operated, semi-automatic pistol that is chambered for the .380 ACP cartridge. The pistol has been designed to operate as a single action firearm that utilizes an external hammer and a locked breech. The Patridge sights includes a blade front sight and a square notch rear sight that is drift adjustable for windage only. The Mk IV is fed by a single column 7 round detachable box magazine. The pistol utilizes a push button magazine release located on the left side of the receiver in front of the grip. The manual thumb safety is located behind the left grip and must be in the fire position before the slide is allowed to move rearward. The pistol has a 3 1/4 inch barrel and an overall length of 6.15 inches and an unloaded weight of 21 3/4 ounces. This firearm does employ a slide hold open mechanism to inform the operator that the last round has been fired. The finish is a deep Colt blue. The checkered grip panels are a cream colored plastic and sport a gold Colt logo with the famous rampant Colt symbol in the middle of each grip. The trigger and recoil spring guide are made of plastic.
The Colt Mk IV Series 80 Government Model chambered in .380 ACP caliber was in production from 1984 to 1997.
The .380 Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge has a bullet diameter of .355 inches and was first introduced by Colt in 1908. It is also known as the 9mm Short, 9mm Browning, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Corto and 9x17mm. The cartridge was originally designed for the early blowback pistols that lacked a barrel locking mechanism commonly known as a locked breech design. The .380 ACP round travels at a rate of about 1000 feet per second and with a 90 to 95 grain projectile, it can deliver between 200 and 205 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. For comparison, a .38 special round travels at a rate of around 980 feet per second and with a 110 grain projectile it can produce around 235 foot pounds of muzzle energy. Which makes the .38 special slightly more powerful than the .380 ACP round.

GaryR

Thanks Gary!

NAMVET72
06-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Very Nice Caleb, why don't you get it refinished and make it a Safe Queen like most people do?

Clyde

Caleb
06-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Very Nice Caleb, why don't you get it refinished and make it a Safe Queen like most people do?

Clyde

I'm not "most people" and I shoot my guns but, I do want to refinish it.

Lonestar grips.
06-16-2014, 04:23 PM
sweet pistol Caleb!

MajO
06-16-2014, 07:07 PM
I thought that General Officers used to be issued (sold?) a Colt model 1903, which, if memory serves, was in .380.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=102&pictureid=781

Cylinder & Slide has further developed them, long after Colt stopped making them. C&S models are .45 ACP. They are a "collectors" item and aren't cheap.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=CSP900&sid=vm6t11sm04482yfmmj3a38i0639j0mlc

ASK.com says:

"The M15 General Officers is a .45 ACP pistol developed by the U.S. Army's Rock Island Arsenal from stock M1911 pistols as a replacement for the aging Colt Model 1903 and Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless pistols. The pistol was issued to United States Army general officers as a personal weapon.

The M15 is quite similar to the Colt Commander and is operationally similar to the M1911A1. Formally adopted in 1972, it is no longer produced but can still be seen in service with officers who have long service careers.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=102&pictureid=782

I'd say "Go RIA," but I think it's a different RIA.

Sheepdog
06-17-2014, 02:08 AM
It doesn't need refinishing!:drum:

Caleb
06-17-2014, 02:44 PM
It doesn't need refinishing!:drum:

98% of the blueing is gone from the grip area. Why not reblue it by a qualified smith? I plan on keeping it and handing it down (if I have kids) sone day.

girphoto
06-17-2014, 08:27 PM
98% of the blueing is gone from the grip area. Why not reblue it by a qualified smith? I plan on keeping it and handing it down (if I have kids) sone day.

Hi Caleb

Look, this is a nice gun, but I do not see it as an auction gun....with that being said , it is YOUR gun and if you want it done in the way it came out of the Colt factory, my re-finisher can do that for you.

As I said he will be back next week, I will be meting with him to do my two newly engraved six guns and I will take a copy of your gun photo to show him....you might be without your gun for 2 or so weeks.

GaryR