PDA

View Full Version : Slide Dropping in Mag Load

GD2A
06-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Hi Folks,

I took three guns to the range today for function testing. One was a new to me Colt 1991 (ORM) that had seemingly minimal usage and is stock except for an aftermarket MSH. On three or four magazines the slide would drop forward when I inserted a magazine. It happened with both Colt and Wilson mags.

Any ideas about what gives?

FWIW, each time this happened it did properly chamber a round and the gun ran flawlessly otherwise.

Caleb
06-18-2014, 01:37 PM
I had a plastic gun that did the same thing, turned out to be a weak slide stop spring. I'm sure thats not the issue with yours since there is no spring there foe 1911s. Check for excessive wear on the slide and stop.

Here is a bad pic of a worn slide where the stop catches. Notice how it is angled backwards instead of a 90 deg.

http://i.imgur.com/eeRIXrF.jpg

Grouse
06-18-2014, 02:04 PM
I had a plastic gun that did the same thing, turned out to be a weak slide stop spring. I'm sure thats not the issue with yours since there is no spring there foe 1911s. Check for excessive wear on the slide and stop.

Here is a bad pic of a worn slide where the stop catches. Notice how it is angled backwards instead of a 90 deg.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/20gh1eg.jpg

your picture sucks.... :P I fixed it for you

milkmanjoe
06-18-2014, 02:07 PM
I have guns that are modified to do just that. I drop a mag, slam one home and the guns chamber a round. Maybe the previous owner did some filing. Glocks are famous for this "failure" to stay locked back.

GD2A
06-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I have guns that are modified to do just that. I drop a mag, slam one home and the guns chamber a round. Maybe the previous owner did some filing. Glocks are famous for this "failure" to stay locked back.

I'll never know for sure but I doubt the guy I bought it from had this done. Also, it didn't happen with several other mags. It happened randomly and when it did, I would drop the mag, clear the chamber and reload the top round back into the mag. Then I'd reinsert the same mag and NOT experience the same event.

Moreover, I see no signs of excessive wear. By outward appearances the gun is cherry and the slide cuts appear to be identical to my 1991 Commander that has run perfectly.

I also just looked at my NIB Combat Elite and the cut angles are the same. None are 90 degrees, FWIW (Using Caleb's pic as a reference.)

Caleb
06-18-2014, 02:27 PM
your picture sucks.... :P I fixed it for you

funny... You are not right.

Caleb
06-18-2014, 02:30 PM
I'll never know for sure but I doubt the guy I bought it from had this done. Also, it didn't happen with several other mags. It happened randomly and when it did, I would drop the mag, clear the chamber and reload the top round back into the mag. Then I'd reinsert the same mag and NOT experience the same event.

Moreover, I see no signs of excessive wear. By outward appearances the gun is cherry and the slide cuts appear to be identical to my 1991 Commander that has run perfectly.

How hard are you slamming the mag home?

Like milk boy, I don't see a disadvantage as long as it feeds the top round properly every time. It's one less step you have to do.

DaFadda
06-18-2014, 02:41 PM
I have a BERSA 380 that does this by design. Of course... 1911's aren't usually designed to do this. Bersa called it a "combat reload." If I slam the mag home, the gun strips a round and loads. I was.... like.... hmmmm.... don't know if I like that "option."
DaFadda

GD2A
06-18-2014, 02:41 PM

Like milk boy, I don't see a disadvantage as long as it feeds the top round properly every time. It's one less step you have to do.

That's tough to quantify but the same way I do all my 1911 mags - a solid shove home. I also posted this on the Colt Forum and somebody brought up 'buffers'. That made me remember that there is some sort of rubber ring on the guide rod - could that be a contributing factor?

Riverpigusmc
06-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Check for a shockbuff on your guide rod, but that normally only affects slingshotting a compact gun. Check the lobe on your slide stop, the notch on your slide for peening, and your mag springs and followers. First place I would look is followers

milkmanjoe
06-18-2014, 03:15 PM

Yah....I was a boy when I was your size...funny

Riverpigusmc
06-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Field strip the pistol, take off the grips, put the slide stop back in, then slide a loaded mag in and see where the first round is contacting the slide stop

milkmanjoe
06-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Field strip the pistol, take off the grips, put the slide stop back in, then slide a loaded mag in and see where the first round is contacting the slide stop

You are no fun tonight...shoulda saved this for page four....:p

Dave Waits
06-19-2014, 10:39 PM
You may want to try a different Magazine Release Joe.

Caleb
06-21-2014, 11:17 AM
You may want to try a different Magazine Release Joe.

I don't understand how this would help the slamming home issue..??.. Please elaborate.

aloreman
06-22-2014, 10:30 PM
I would actually like it if all my idpa pistols did this. Save me some time reloading the gun giving me more time to suck