PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunting Help

sdmc530
06-18-2014, 11:32 PM
Well just got off the phone with my brother and apparently we are taking dad hog hunting. Very excited about this. Not for a few months out but this should be a riot!

Anyways my wheels are spinning...I will carry a heavy rifle but if I can get close as say 20 yards to one if I even can do you think my 10mm will have any issues taking a hog down with a 200gr load? I will probably use my Glock 20 (i know I said it) with a 6" barrel. I think it would be great to use it for hunting. I have used it deer hunting but a Russian hog is a much tougher animal.

Any thoughts?

Lonestar grips.
06-18-2014, 11:57 PM
well penetration is key if you are going for a body shot, do you know how far that bullet/load combo will penetrate?

all hogs are different and size has a lot to do with it as well but the shield on a hog can be very thick and very hard to penetrate, some bullets just can't make it to the heart, I don't have any experience with the 10MM but I've taken some hogs with the 38 special and properly loaded it did a fine job.

if you go for a head shot then you should be fine at that range, I've killed over a 100 hogs at 15yrds and under with a 22 in the ear and never had to fire twice.

so to sum it up penetration and shot placement.:)

NAMVET72
06-19-2014, 12:20 AM
well penetration is key if you are going for a body shot, do you know how far that bullet/load combo will penetrate?

all hogs are different and size has a lot to do with it as well but the shield on a hog can be very thick and very hard to penetrate, some bullets just can't make it to the heart, I don't have any experience with the 10MM but I've taken some hogs with the 38 special and properly loaded it did a fine job.

if you go for a head shot then you should be fine at that range, I've killed over a 100 hogs at 15yrds and under with a 22 in the ear and never had to fire twice.

so to sum it up penetration and shot placement.:)

Phil what Lane said is True, but remember one Big thing if you don't kill it will come after you ............... Good Luck and don't forget pics of it if possible......

Clyde

edgehill
06-19-2014, 05:09 AM
From the people I know who have taken hogs 10mm will be fine. I even know a few who have taken them with knives.

One point of warning. If you do kill one be careful coming in contact with the blood. If you have a cut, use long gloves. I know a few people who have gotten some virus during cleaning that made them sick for months afterward, including being hospitalized.

sdmc530
06-19-2014, 07:44 AM
thanks for the info....I know they are mean suckers. Didn't know they were that ill though...crazy. Yeah looking forward to this hunt, should be fun with dad. Wish I didn't have to wait so long though.

Sheepdog
06-19-2014, 09:24 AM
10mm's will work fine given proper shot placement. As Zane pointed out they do have a protective cartilage plate on their sides. I have seen some over an inch and a half thick. Light high velocity rounds can explode in this plate. My shot of choice is in or behind the ear. They are vermin kill them all!!!! Don't go hands and knees in the brush looking for a wounded one. It is my experience that hogs will not charge you unless a little one is in danger or they are wounded. They are basically blind past their nose and will sometimes run past you, because they don't know you are there. They have a great nose and usually very weary.

douglas_knott
06-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Your 10 mm is fine Phil. Where you going?

milkmanjoe
06-19-2014, 10:59 AM
I hear Buffalo Bore makes cast boolits for hogs. I use 250 grain cast in .45. One day I'm gonna get me a 10mm or .45 longslide.

Sounds like a fun hunt...though Clyde has the answer..be ready for follow up shots. I bring a very sharp bayonet. Shoot hog, hog down, cut throat. When pistol hunting, I mean.

sdmc530
06-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Your 10 mm is fine Phil. Where you going?

Its kind of cheating really to a 750 acher game preserve in IA. My dad can not get out like he used to so we have to be careful where we go. Its a good time and still kind of hunting. We actually don't have the wild hogs up here yet so without driving to MO or south this is the only way we can get him one.

Deleted
06-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Phil if you really want to hog hunt leave the guns at home get a few good dogs.

Let the dog's pin it down and you go in there with just a knife and finish the hog off.

I've done it ONCE and let me tell you........You have to be a absolute IDIOT to do this, But I was goated into it as my manhood was questioned and Y'all know me. I had to be THAT IDIOT.

I prefer my 30-06 and shoot them at 50 yrds or better, they can and will turn and try to eat your lunch, A buddy shot one at 30yrds and got a 10" scar and 25 stitches to show for it.

Riverpigusmc
06-19-2014, 08:56 PM
I wanna go, I wanna go

Olympus
06-19-2014, 09:06 PM
I go hog hunting every year. Been going about 7 years now. I can tell you from experience that unless you sneak up on a sleeping hog with the wind just perfect, the chances of you slipping up on one within 20 yards is VERY slim. And from my experience, the big hogs that you'd have to worry about shot placement on do not move in the heat of the day. They lay up somewhere cool and come out mostly at night. The ones I see and shot during the day were all under 200lbs. 10mm will easily get the job done on that size and smaller. It's a lot of fun, but prepare to spend a lot of tine walking.

NAMVET72
06-19-2014, 10:35 PM
I wanna go, I wanna go

Pig you know better, no state would let you hunt in it. :eek::eek::p

Clyde

sdmc530
06-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the posts. the more I read the less I want my pistol and more I want a canon! Should be a riot....need to practice though!

Olympus
06-20-2014, 12:41 AM
You don't need a cannon. I've shot several with a muzzle loader. A lot of guys use 223 and put shots right in their ears. My last trip was in April of this year and I head shot one. It's not that hard to do.

Olympus
06-20-2014, 12:43 AM
Here are some of mine from the last few years.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/syna9eme.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/ehe7yput.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/a2a8u3ap.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/8a4uqe2e.jpg

milkmanjoe
06-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Phil if you really want to hog hunt leave the guns at home get a few good dogs.

Let the dog's pin it down and you go in there with just a knife and finish the hog off.

I've done it ONCE and let me tell you........You have to be a absolute IDIOT to do this, But I was goated into it as my manhood was questioned and Y'all know me. I had to be THAT IDIOT.

I prefer my 30-06 and shoot them at 50 yrds or better, they can and will turn and try to eat your lunch, A buddy shot one at 30yrds and got a 10" scar and 25 stitches to show for it.

Nothing idiotic about it at all, if done right. We use pit bulls in Hawaii, they corner the hog and the kill is easy. However, on the Big Island of Hawaii, 1984-85, I was hunting with locals, and we decided that the guy using the smallest blade to take a hog was top dog. I pulled my Buck 110. Dogs cornered a hog, in the scrub. I went balls to the wall and hit my belly to crawl in right when the hog broke past the dogs and came right at me. While I was on my belly slashing at it the damn thing removed my left bicep. That happened cause I was young and stupid. Done correctly there is very little risk, the pits have hold of the hog and all you do is slit its throat, it goes down almost immediately. Her is my scar today, it has healed over by 2X what it was...

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=109&pictureid=786

sdmc530
06-20-2014, 08:58 AM
Damn, that black pick looks BA.....

Hey Joe....are you still allowed to play with knives? :)

Olympus
06-20-2014, 09:42 AM
I think I might have a few more photos.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/6e7uzy8a.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/bahygete.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/y9ujynav.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/8atehy4a.jpg

sdmc530
06-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Nice....so hungry for bacon!!!

Snipersnest
06-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Soueeeeee pig, pig, pig! Them's some ugly critters, but they sure do taste good!

milkmanjoe
06-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Damn, that black pick looks BA.....

Hey Joe....are you still allowed to play with knives? :)

Hahaha....only if my wife is at work.....

Knife didn't do the damage, the boar tore me up..A better pic would show it's more a tear than a cut. When we got down off the mountain to the little medical building, the docs couldn't sew it shut it was so ragged. Was injected with antibacterial stuff, taped, bandages, taped, and I hunted the rest of the week. BY time I got to Oahu to the main hospital the docs told me "you have what you are going to have", meaning it began healing and they wouldn't touch it. I got lucky, no nerve damage. And I did get to see my bicep.:)