PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Trace

CHF_Pontiac T/A
11-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Hey guys! Need an opinion or two on a new accessory.

A friend of mine has offered to buy me the Crimson Trace LG-401 for my Dan Wesson Valor. Has anyone ever had these or heard anything on how they fit? It's a lot of money to spend on something if I could potentially be unhappy with them...

Thanks in advance for your help.:D

NAMVET72
11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
IMHO I think they are a Waste of Time and Money.......... But some people like them.

Clyde

jmlutz
11-10-2011, 04:39 PM
I like them, I've had a set of them on my CCO for about 8 months now. I walk out the door to go to work between 1:00 and 2:00AM every morning. To me that laser is a whole lot faster and easier than night sights in the dark. I've had 2 other 1911's with them in the past, I'm pretty much sold on them. Mike

douglas_knott
11-10-2011, 05:13 PM
i have some for my Glock 20 and love them. they are great for practicing. i wouldn't rely on them because batteries do die but in a self defense situation i feel they would put a person at a greater advantage.

Sheepdog
11-10-2011, 06:17 PM
I have them and the only time I put them on, is at the range. I use them to see which bad habits I need to work on. I do not use them for carry.

wxl
11-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Personally have not seen need for myself (yet). Have a set of front activated on a G19 for wife to play with. See no major disadvantage, does not change grip much, has on/off switch if you want it off. Not having one because battery might be dead is no real issue since you still have your regular sights as well as the laser when battery is good..

Riverpigusmc
11-10-2011, 11:00 PM
They work for some folks, but two things to consider: lots of people find themselves "chasing the dot" instead of focusing on the threat. Tritium night sights let you focus on the front sight, and 2: lights draw bullets like a democrat to a tax increase..whether it's lasers or flashlights.

Old Draftsman
11-10-2011, 11:19 PM
From what I've seen at the local outdoor range, the lasers that could be readily seen on the targets, amplified the "geezer shake" to the point of distraction. I don't want one myself (don't need the bad guy to see how bad I'm shaking ;) ) cause it's distracting. It may be different under duress but I think the night sight on a silhouette is better for me.

Now at home. The Mossberg don't need no stinkin' sights...:D

Personally, the best use I've found for a laser sight here is off the piece and used to exercise my dogs. They love to chase the dot. :rolleyes:

/s

sdmc530
11-11-2011, 08:48 PM
They don't work for left handed folks either. I had a set and liked them for the cool factor but that is about it. Very hard to use if your left handed though...got rid of em and working on my shooting instead or using them as a crutch...

wildcatter
11-18-2011, 08:39 PM
I looked at em, but kinda figured it would be a dead giveaway to my whereabouts, in a real shootout. Plus I'm a tightwad, $300.00 bucks is a little steep for me, one reason I buy paper micarta grips, over real Ivory!

herefordman1
11-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Here's my thoughts.
The better half and I keep our UC II's on our night stands. For a quick response when your half asleep, I think they're the ticket.
Outside in bright light nearly useless, not worth the money.
I've got a set on the LCP, but don't carry it much at all after adding the P238 as my EDC.

Be safe
Jim

stumpjumper
11-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I have them on my LCP, M&P 9c, Colt Defender Plus and Colt New Agent. I think they really help my shooting accuracy and sight acquisition . But just like any other tool , if they help your shooting -they're great if they don't -they just an expensive cat toy

Hail Caesar
12-10-2011, 01:11 PM
If you ever get a chance to receive training with CT's and a light you will see how much faster and accurate you are in less than great lighting.

If you know how to use them right they make a world of difference

Alan.

Thedragonslayer
12-10-2011, 02:05 PM
If you ever get a chance to receive training with CT's and a light you will see how much faster and accurate you are in less than great lighting.

If you know how to use them right they make a world of difference

Alan.

I agree with Alan. I have an older friend who poopoo's every new thing. He tried mine and then understood how important they are in a SD situation. Particularly if youve been knocked to the ground and are having to draw from there. The weapon never comes-up to you eye level.

AutoMag
12-10-2011, 04:57 PM
I have had them mounted on my 191's and a Beretta..............don't waste your money on them.

The only thing that they will do for you at the range is show you how much you move around on target with the red dot!!!!:D:D

Hail Caesar
12-10-2011, 06:03 PM
CT's are not for target shooting, Bullseye, or for plinking. For those purposes CT's are worthless.

For true defensive and offensive purposes they are invaluable in some situations. IF....you know how to use them and are trained.

Alan

AutoMag
12-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Alan, I have to agree with you on your post!!

On a range weapon they are more of a novelty than anything else.

jmlutz
12-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Alan, I have to agree with you on your post!!

On a range weapon they are more of a novelty than anything else.

They are excellent for their intended use, close quarter shooting in low-level light to no light.