PDA

View Full Version : Learn from my mistake on Gunbroker

Shark1007
06-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Shot my CCO yesterday. It's accurate as heck but the trigger is so light it occasionally double tapped. Upon careful inspection, it had a recoil buffer installed. That told me something. It was beyond filthy, the ejector was slightly damaged but functioned well. It has been rode hard and put up wet.

The lessons I learned is to avoid low feedback sellers, to demand careful pictures of internals and be careful where you place your trust. The guy seemed really nice on the phone, tossed in a holster we hadn't discussed and now I know why.

Someone once told me about falling in love with inanimate objects. "They are just things, set a limit and move on, there will be another soon"

Few bucks at a smith will fix this one I suspect, but it sure is disappointing to tear into a box of a "like new" gun and realize you have been hosed. I did leave the fellow appropriate feedback. First I gave him an email and a week to reply and no answer. It was hard to fire him up with neg feedback, but it was the truth. Clearly it was partly my fault for jumping on the band wagon without the pics.

Otherwise, neat pistol.

milkmanjoe
06-23-2014, 09:19 AM
When I buy off GB I look for a specific pistol that the manufacturer will stand behind. One of my Springfield Champions, and old model, I got for $506.00. I shot it, it locked up. Called Springfield, they sent a mailing label, free shipping. They replaced the frame, free. Gun eats all ammo and is accurate. You can do the same with the CCO if Dan Wesson(CZ, I think) is as good about their pistols. I buy Springers for several reasons, but the main one is their Customer Service. I feel badly the jerk hosed you, but it is pretty common with "LNIB" sales. To me either the gun is unfired or used, "like new" does not play in my sandbox, too many interpretations of "like new" are possible. I hope you got it for a price that allows for some $$$ into the pistol. Oh, and I agree....I never, ever buy off a seller with a low sales count. Ever.

GD2A
06-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Shot my CCO yesterday. It's accurate as heck but the trigger is so light it occasionally double tapped. Upon careful inspection, it had a recoil buffer installed. That told me something. It was beyond filthy, the ejector was slightly damaged but functioned well. It has been rode hard and put up wet.

What did that tell you? I don't fully understand what those are supposed to do and why folks choose to install them. Thanks!

Shark1007
06-23-2014, 09:46 AM
I guessed the guy was a hand loader and or was shooting hot stuff, in fact, he put a note in the box as to his fave hand loads. It took me forever to get lead from barrel, finally heat and froglube got the rest out. It's supposed to keep frame from being battered. I use them for .460 Rowland.

milkmanjoe
06-23-2014, 10:22 AM
I guessed the guy was a hand loader and or was shooting hot stuff, in fact, he put a note in the box as to his fave hand loads. It took me forever to get lead from barrel, finally heat and froglube got the rest out. It's supposed to keep frame from being battered. I use them for .460 Rowland.

Those buffers can shatter and cause the gun to malfunction. I use heavier recoil springs. Toss them, IMO. In fact I am waiting on a whole shipment from Midway, all 1911 parts....ALOT of 16# and 18# springs.....You can probly use 20-22# springs for the Rowland, but not buffers.

BTW-----Midway is implementing new shipping procedures that they claim will save buyers money. Fair enough. I haven't gone over it yet. I keep a list of parts I need and make sure it exceeds their Free Shipping price, then I order.

Shark1007
06-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Yes sir, I got the Midway notification this morning. On the Rowland, I haven't shot it yet. The buffer is buffering the inside of the safe. My cervical fusion limits my hot load shooting these days. It's custom 1911 that has a heck of a recoil spring already. I did buy at a reasonable price, but hate to have to fix a "line new" pistol.

milkmanjoe
06-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Yes sir, I got the Midway notification this morning. On the Rowland, I haven't shot it yet. The buffer is buffering the inside of the safe. My cervical fusion limits my hot load shooting these days. It's custom 1911 that has a heck of a recoil spring already. I did buy at a reasonable price, but hate to have to fix a "line new" pistol.

My two cents......customize the pistol. I have pistols I won't alter, but ones that have seen their fair share of lead downrange are fair game. Short triggers are my first swap, always, have two on the way. I have much disdain for long 1911 triggers. But, IMO, the trigger is a strong part of the pistol's looks...cannot be just any short trigger!

Riverpigusmc
06-23-2014, 10:54 AM
That sux. Strands of Choreboy wrapped around a bore brush is wjat I use to remove lead

milkmanjoe
06-23-2014, 10:56 AM
That sux. Strands of Choreboy wrapped around a bore brush is wjat I use to remove lead

Your tongue can't reach or too soft? funny

sdmc530
06-23-2014, 11:41 AM
gunbroker is a tough place to buy...I only buy NIB and froma highly rated seller...its tough when you can not touch the gun first I know. Hopefully the gun I just purchased and will pick up today will not have any issues. Its new in box but you still never know!

GD2A
06-23-2014, 12:59 PM
I tend to agree about buying NIB from GB. I bought one used gun, a Commander for a fair price that was in great shape (stupid GS and SS aside) but feel I got lucky and don't want to tempt fate ;)

Caleb
06-23-2014, 01:50 PM
:pics:

Shark1007
06-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Well, I guess the guy saw his feedback. I got an email from a week ago answered saying he was surprised and wanted to make it right. He's going to call me tomorrow. I'll be nice. My feedback was completely factual and hard to refute. I've already replaced bushings and grip screws on a member's advice regarding fusion parts. They were fast, fair, etc.

We will see how fair he wants to be. I should have bought a new one.

GD2A
06-24-2014, 12:00 AM
Well, that's encouraging - hope it works out nicely for you!

milkmanjoe
06-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Well, I guess the guy saw his feedback. I got an email from a week ago answered saying he was surprised and wanted to make it right. He's going to call me tomorrow. I'll be nice. My feedback was completely factual and hard to refute. I've already replaced bushings and grip screws on a member's advice regarding fusion parts. They were fast, fair, etc.

We will see how fair he wants to be. I should have bought a new one.

WOW!!! That is cool. Good luck with him. Could turn into a good experience after all.

Shark1007
06-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Well, things came together. When I was practicing law I had a 72 hour rule. When someone, typically an insurance adjuster or lawyer, pissed me off I would place the letter in the desk drawer for 72 hour cooling off period before response.

I have applied this to child rearing and many other things including my huge disappointment with this guy for the CCO sale. I waited, was reasonable and he just sent me 200 bucks back by PayPal!

Now I have 900 bucks in a CCO that needs a little tweaking, piece of cake.

Caleb
06-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Thats awesome, glad it worked out in your favor!

Is there a wsy to reverse his feedback you left? He did make it right.

milkmanjoe
06-24-2014, 03:21 PM
well, things came together. When i was practicing law i had a 72 hour rule. When someone, typically an insurance adjuster or lawyer, pissed me off i would place the letter in the desk drawer for 72 hour cooling off period before response.

I have applied this to child rearing and many other things including my huge disappointment with this guy for the cco sale. I waited, was reasonable and he just sent me 200 bucks back by paypal!

now i have 900 bucks in a cco that needs a little tweaking, piece of cake.

yes!!!!!

Shark1007
06-24-2014, 05:29 PM
First thing I did was change the feedback and complimented him for doing the right thing.

GD2A
06-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Fan-freaking-tastic!!!!!

dwsmithjr
08-10-2014, 06:12 PM
.....buying a Dan Wesson revolver. The seller had no feedback but things looked okay. When I got the gun the front cylinder latch would come open when I fired .357mag. So, it's gotta go to Dan Wesson to repair. What was an okay deal will become a "more than I wanted to spend" deal.

Tango3
09-29-2014, 06:47 PM
My two cents......customize the pistol. I have pistols I won't alter, but ones that have seen their fair share of lead downrange are fair game. Short triggers are my first swap, always, have two on the way. I have much disdain for long 1911 triggers. But, IMO, the trigger is a strong part of the pistol's looks...cannot be just any short trigger!

+++ those short triggers, milkman. Interested in which short triggers you choose. Thanks.

Rick

milkmanjoe
09-29-2014, 07:15 PM
+++ those short triggers, milkman. Interested in which short triggers you choose. Thanks.

Rick

here ya go, Rick...................... I'm a BIG Cylinder & Slide fan. I also grab Ed Brown parts.....usually on Midway.......sometimes 10-8 gear.....

I don't have the C & S shipping papers here, but my last two short triggers came from here....

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=1911_Triggers

Tango3
09-30-2014, 07:23 AM
here ya go, Rick...................... I'm a BIG Cylinder & Slide fan. I also grab Ed Brown parts.....usually on Midway.......sometimes 10-8 gear.....

I don't have the C & S shipping papers here, but my last two short triggers came from here....

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=1911_Triggers

Thanks, milkman. I sorta suspected you weren't buying shoddy parts. I'm checking this out and making some purchases.

Rick