PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 15 Sport

GD2A
07-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Does anyone here have one of these guns (the 5.56 not the .22LR) or have a friend that has one? Any experience shooting one - what were your impressions?

It's not the at the top of my list but somebody has proposed a trade of my remaining Mini 14 for his M&P. Both guns are NIB. From what I've read it's a solid commercial AR-15 lacking only the forward assist and dust cover (mil-spec aside). I recently bought a Colt LE6920 and like it a lot. I always figured I'd get another Colt at some point but then this opportunity presented itself.

I'm just hoping to get some trusted feedback from folks here - thank you!

Lonestar grips.
07-01-2014, 05:00 PM
i was going to get one before i got my super, everything i read about it was good, if you're going to trade make sure you're not getting the basic $630 model, your Ruger's worth more than that.

milkmanjoe
07-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Don't own one but Marine friends have brought them to my SC property, never a problem that I know of.

Caleb
07-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Great rifles but, not an even trade. That is the sport model, around the $600 range.

GD2A
07-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Thanks and it is the basic model - if we do this he'll add cash. I'm just trying to get a handle on the quality. I've honestly not read any negatives about the gun other than people bashing the lack of F/A and Dust Cover. I mean, they're nice to have and my Colt has them but they seem to be rarely used outside of a war zone ;)

edgehill
07-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Matt,

I have the M&P15 Sport. That's the gun I was running that day at the picnic. Like you said, it doesn't have the forward assist and a dust cover, so if you plan to crawl around with it, you might want to reconsider. Otherwise, it will do fine.

I've run 5.56 green tips and cheap .223 out of it without a single misfire/malfunction. I have both PMags and mil-spec surplus mags and all of them work flawlessly. When I got mine, I remember seeing a review of it before by Nutnfancy and he called it the best gun for the price range and that you won't miss the assist or dust cover.

If you want to get together and shoot it, just holler.

GD2A
07-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Thanks Andy, I'm glad to hear you're pleased with it!

I guess at this point I just need to see how much he cash he wants to add and make sure I can live without a pony on the receiver :D

MPDC
07-01-2014, 06:04 PM
It has the "5R" bbl in 1/8. Friends I of mine rave about it, very accurate.:)

GD2A
07-01-2014, 06:18 PM
It has the "5R" bbl in 1/8. Friends I of mine rave about it, very accurate.:)

From what I've read it did have the 1/8 (which I'd be thrilled with) but newer ones now have 1/9. I don't yet know which one this has.

MPDC
07-01-2014, 06:42 PM
From what I've read it did have the 1/8 (which I'd be thrilled with) but newer ones now have 1/9. I don't yet know which one this has.

I will PM you. :)

Lane
07-02-2014, 12:55 AM
I just bought one - paid $619 at my LGS. What sold me was that the range where I go has one in their rental counter that literally has thousands of rounds through it - and they claim it only gets cleaned about once a month.

Someone else mentioned the Nutnfancy review on YouTube. He'd got nothing but good to say about it. I'm not an AR guy (this is my first poodle shooter) but so far, I'm happy with the purchase.

Lane

GD2A
07-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Thanks, Lane - that's great to hear! I watched the TNP review along with others and in reality, I can't say that I've seen a bad report. I'm beginning to hope this comes together.

Caleb
07-02-2014, 09:57 AM
You won't be dissappointed. They are great rifles and milspec, you can later add all the tacticool mods if you please.

Sheepdog
07-02-2014, 11:33 AM
I have a friend that has 2 SBR loves them.

Shark1007
07-02-2014, 03:51 PM
I have one and it runs fine, no issues nor were any expected. They are a quality entry level piece. I also have mini 14's and prefer them for home defense, just because I'm more familiar with the system, having trained a fair amount on a version of the M14.

I think the Mini is worth a bit more. I think I paid 6 for the S&W and almost 7 for the Mini tactical model, blue. One advantage to the trade is your magazine costs will diminish immediately.

GD2A
07-02-2014, 04:02 PM
I have one and it runs fine, no issues nor were any expected. They are a quality entry level piece. I also have mini 14's and prefer them for home defense, just because I'm more familiar with the system, having trained a fair amount on a version of the M14.

I think the Mini is worth a bit more. I think I paid 6 for the S&W and almost 7 for the Mini tactical model, blue. One advantage to the trade is your magazine costs will diminish immediately.

Amen to that! Plus I already have plenty for my Colt. Commonality/compatibility is partially driving my decision. If I sold the gun outright I'd buy another AR anyway. Time will tell if I'm meant to have a M&P Sport or something else.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback!