PDA

View Full Version : Every now and then...

ColMike
07-02-2014, 03:49 PM
you get a reminder. Sometimes you get off cheap and sometimes it's expensive. Here's a reminder moment from my range trip several days ago.

It's a thrown together range with adequate backstop and we use it for quick tests of new loads or for short shooting sessions. Here's a pic of part of the range. It is appropriately named "the clay pits".
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt204/davismh76/20140702_122721_zps6a6134a0.jpg

So I want a quick session with my DW CCO as I'd been shooting other than iron sights and didn't want to lose the front sight fixation needed for most all my shooting and my cowboy shooting.

I fired 3 magazines at a target backed up to within 15 feet of the backstop. the gun functioned fine with rounds on target and no feed/fire/extraction issues. At the end of the third mag, I cleared the weapon and while doing so, hear this whistling sound and then THUD on my arm. There is no doubt what the sound was, I had just shot myself indirectly. Somehow, the bullet pased through the target, hit the berm, ricocheted up and back and found me! I always say how stupid these people on TV are for shooting into the air cause that bullet has to come down and now I have proof.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt204/davismh76/20140702_141730_zps5cb1f034.jpg

Now come the whatif's.. what if it hit me in the head. what if it hit me in the eye. etc. So, when the RO says it's time for glasses, it's time for glasses. I had mine on but it would still have been a heckuva experience if it hit my glasses instead of my arm. Be careful out there.

MPDC
07-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Great reminder.

GD2A
07-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Amen to safety! However, your situation sounds like one of those 'stuff happens' scenarios. That strikes me as being almost as random as a piece of an airplane falling off as it soars miles overhead. Glad you're OK!

Caleb
07-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Glad you are ok. I took a ricochet to the neck which drew blood. A guy at the other end of the line was shooting at a 45 deg angle at steel, ricocheted back at me into my neck. Follow the safety rules and it can be a safe sport.

Sheepdog
07-02-2014, 04:54 PM
I call those God moments.

AutoMag
07-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Glad that you are OK Mike.:)

I was hit with a bullet fragment which drew blood from one of our sponsored shooters, JJ Racaza who you might also remember from Top Shot!! A fragment from shooting a steel plate is what hit me. Of all places it was in the face, glad I had on my safety glasses but then I always wear them at the range.

skosh69
07-02-2014, 08:07 PM
I call those God moments.

This^^^

ronpaul50
07-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Cool that your OK.

Riverpigusmc
07-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Glad you're ok sir. I routinely take shrapnel, but it's coz I practice "kill the hell out of everything" drills on the steel close up

Deleted
07-02-2014, 11:16 PM
#1 Range rule...Have fun and don't leave a blood trail.

You can never be to careful. And only as safe as those shooting around you practice safety.

I have taken shrapnel in various areas of the body from many competitions but nothing to write home about.