PDA

View Full Version : Shot friend's Kimber

Shark1007
07-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Shot friend's Kimber, 3" yesterday. It shot reasonably well. Upon cleaning it for him afterwards, it had a chip at the firing pin hole at 7 O'clock on breech face and three or four little dings on the leading edge of the disconnector track or cocking lug.

I told him to send it back to the mother ship and lent him a Sig C3. It almost looked like a metal issue.

Thoughts?

sdmc530
07-07-2014, 08:15 AM
friends don't let friends shoot kimbers...

I would send it back though if damaged.

Caleb
07-07-2014, 08:59 AM
My thoughts.....he probably will never return that C3!

Honestly, have never heard of this issue you speak of. Please update us with results, thanks.

Sheepdog
07-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Where did you hit it?

skosh69
07-07-2014, 10:19 AM
friends don't let friends shoot kimbers...

Hey now...:mad: Nuttin' wrong with Kimber's. If it wasn't for their aggressive marketing strategy and way too many choices of styles, we'd all be stuck with 1980's Colts and South American Springers :eek:

Good luck to friend OP.

sdmc530
07-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Hey now...:mad: Nuttin' wrong with Kimber's. If it wasn't for their aggressive marketing strategy and way too many choices of styles, we'd all be stuck with 1980's Colts and South American Springers :eek:

Good luck to friend OP.

I know....just messing with the Kimber guys.....you are right the Kimbers made the Colts good again.

Shark1007
07-08-2014, 05:52 AM
I know, Caleb. In a fit of weakness I just told him to keep the Sig. He's the guy that gave me the DoubleTap and I've known him since he was born.

I will advise what Kimber says. I have been on him for a while about the Kimber for carry, he had one FTRB at the range and then I saw the metal issues when I cleaned it for him. He's one of the best friends I have and he's a car dealer so we share the stellar reputation in the community.

Caleb
07-08-2014, 07:33 AM
My buddy carries his Ultra CDP all the time. It's looser than Ellison in a gay bar but, he has never had any failures with it.

Kimbers are 50/50 imho.

gaguideman
07-12-2014, 08:28 PM
I know that many folks have had good luck with Kimbers. I understand that fully. My problem with the brand is that they perform no better than the competition and street prices are always higher than the competition aside from a few exceptions like Colt. Take for example the Raptor version of the Kimber line. The E-Series Smith and Wesson 1911 has the same level of fish scale or snake skin pattern areas on the slide. It has Kimbers texturing of the top of the slide. It has nice grips like the Kimber. Above and beyond the Kimber, it has perfect checkering on the front strap. It has also has a flattened slide top along with the texturing. Kimber does not. It is undercut under the trigger guard which makes for a nice grip feel. The Kimber does not have that. It has an external extractor that the Kimber does not. That may or may not be desirable to some folks. The Smith is indeed all stainless as well. All of that for on average $450 less expensive. Just one example of what I see. Their entry level guns aren't near as customized and nice as competition that is about $100 cheaper. They could be less expensive and do just fine and create a following unrivaled. I don't hate them. They are good guns. They just like them too much for what you get in my opinion. Don't mean to offend anyone that likes them.