PDA

View Full Version : Astra Mod A-80

Xbonz
07-07-2014, 08:38 PM
I have a friend who inherited this pistol when her husband passed. It's too big for her to handle. She wants something like a wheel gun in its place. I may either help her pick one out or trade her one of mine. My easy question, is there a reason not to own this pistol? Oh yeah, it's a 45 and appears to be in very good shape.

Shark1007
07-08-2014, 05:34 AM
Bonz.... get it. It's an interesting piece, kind of Sig-ish with a Spanish accent.

Pretty reliable well built with non existent parts supply and no significant collectability. I think USCG was considering them in the 70's and the factory in Spain didn't have the production capability. High school buddy was USCG armorer then.

It would be cool for no other reason than to have in the safe and ask friends "what is this one?" I think they merged with Star and then vaporized as a manufacturer.

If you pulled it on a burglar his last words might be "cool, what was that?"

LittleGator
07-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Bonz,

I Googled it, out of curiosity, and read somewhere that the slide ( specifically the "chin" where the guide rod fits in) was sometimes not strong enough to withstand impact from a .45 round ignition. Hence, cracks might develop in that area. I have no knowledge of this other than what I read a day or two ago. Just passing it along as a "heads up" in case you decide to get it.

I agree with Shark, though, it is a cool piece.