PDA

View Full Version : DW VBOB Virgin Shoot

AdamG247 (Navy-Ret)
07-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Happy Sunday,

So I took my new VBOB out for a test drive. Shoot about 350 rounds through her. She had Zero malfunctions and ran about a nice as one could expect. Recoil was well dampened and returning the muzzle/front sight on target easy and precise. Mag release was stiff and needs more use to loosen up a bit. Will disassemble and inspect for burrs or anything that could cause extra friction that can be easily repaired at home.

I did experience a shooting problem with this gun. It has the rear battle single dot sight and the front sight set up in a 8 configuration. I don't have any other gun with this sight set up. My first clip, all rounds were high. At 25 yds I lost every shoot. So I moved in to 7 yds to see what the heck I was doing wrong. At 7 yds I was still shooting 3-4 feet high??? Shot a few more clips and put the gun down. Shot another favorite gun of mine and all shots were damn near perfect. So, is it the gun or do I suck with 8 sight set up.

Was with a few friends and asked them each to shoot the VBOB. They all said the gun was shooting high.

My next try with the VBOB I buried the front sight in the bottom of the rear sight and started to land my shots where I was aiming. Problem is I can't see the front sight now.

I was told buy a few people on another 1911 forum that I need to have DW replace the front sight .140 with a .180 size.

I am reaching out to the COTEP community for input and validation that this is the correct thing to do or possibly I am doing something wrong and the gun is fine. Have others had the same problem?

I love the gun and like the way it sits in my hand, enjoy the way it shoots and cycles. Great gun and I want to make it 1 of my EDC selections. But until I get this sight issue worked out she is a safe queen.

P.S. I have nothing against safe queens. Own a few myself. So I use the term in a non-derogatory manner.

Paladin1
07-13-2014, 10:39 AM
I bought a Guardian a couple of months ago. It too shot high. It has the three dot night sights and not the figure 8 DW sights. Replacing the 0.140 inch front sight with a 0.180 unit brought the POI right on the POA. DW did this gratis. Here is the thread on the 1911 Forum that describes my situation:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=459094

While my Guardian shot a bit high originally (2.5 inches at 10 yards) the issue was nowhere near what you described. I'm guessing the sight radius on your VBOB is about 6.5 inches. If that's true and you were really shooting 3-4 feet high at 7 yards (252 inches) it would require a replacement front sight that is almost an inch higher! Are you sure it wasn't 3-4 inches high at 7 yards?

If it is inches and assuming the average of 3.5 inches and a sight radius of 6.5 inches a sight that is 0.090 inches higher would be required.

I suspect the gun is shooting a bit high and you are also holding the front dot a bit high relative to the rear. Many shooters have a hard time adjusting to the figure 8 sights so you may want to change them to conventional sights.

Regardless, email Keith Lawton at DW customer service and I guarantee he will make it good.

AdamG247 (Navy-Ret)
07-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Hi Paladin1,

Thanks for your reply and input. Yes, in my above post I was feet above from 25yds and inches above from 7 yds. I mixed these numbers in my head during typing process. Good catch.

I was on paper at 7 yds, and every shoot was high about 3-4".

Caleb
07-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Hi Paladin1,

Thanks for your reply and input. Yes, in my above post I was feet above from 25yds and inches above from 7 yds. I mixed these numbers in my head during typing process. Good catch.

I was on paper at 7 yds, and every shoot was high about 3-4".

Sounds like your front sight is too short. I think DW would fix this since it came from them like that.

AdamG247 (Navy-Ret)
07-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Yes, DW has agreed to fix the front sight. I pay shipping to them, they replace front sight and ship back on their nickel. DW has been very easy to work with and I am satisfied with their offer to remedy the possible problem.

However, I am asking to see if others here have had the same front sight issue or is this more of a shooter and "8" sight set up familiarization. I have shot many standard Iron sights in my life. These are very similar to the 8 set up on the VBOB.

Don't want to jump the gun here and rush to fix something that may not be broken. Second guessing myself here and asking to see how many others with VBOB's have had a similar experience. So far only one other has.

I do very much appreciate the input. Any suggestion is valuable to me in making this decision.

Caleb
07-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Well, no experience with the straight eights but, I did try the XS Big Dots ( same difference). I did not like them, I would either shoot high or low. The sights were fine, I just could not get the hang of them after being used to the 3 dots.

If you state that your friends also shot high with it, then it inclines me to believe the front sight is too short. Unless, you have the ability to adjust your rear sight (which I don't think that is possible with the straight 8's) down.

A couple of inches at 7yds will turn into ft. at 25yds, that is a given.

Ok, this might sound cheesey but give it a try. Buy a small plastic or wood dowel approximately the size of your front dot. Tape a piece to the top of your front sight and shoot it using the new dowel as your front dot. If your groups move down closer to the POA then, there is your issue (short front sight).

Paladin1
07-14-2014, 02:34 PM
If you do elect to replace the FS with a 0.180 inch one and assuming the OEM one is 0.140 inches tall the impact point will drop about 1.6 inches at 7 yards. It sounds from your posts that this won't be enough all by itself.

Have you shot the gun from a pistol rest? That may take some of the uncertainty out of the equation. Also is it grouping well? At 7 yards you should be getting one ragged hole even if it is high. Again the pistol rest can help verify the accuracy.

AdamG247 (Navy-Ret)
07-15-2014, 01:10 PM
IamCaleb,

Using a dowel or otherwise rigging the sight is a fantastic idea. Great thinking there. Thanks, I will attempt to make such a device and give it a try.

Paladin1,

Now that you mention it, no the gun was not grouping well at all. But, I think that was mainly due to me constantly moving my POA to get on target. I did not think about groupings as I was completely consumed with the high shooting. I also did not try a rest. Some things make so much sense you wonder why you did not think of them yourself. Thanks for the most helpful suggestions.

P.S. I have spinal cord injuries that effects many parts of my body, including my arms and hands. In the past I was a pretty good shooter, now I just feel lucky to hit paper. I mention this as a disclaimer as to my ability to shoot a tight group either Standing or using a rest. I am unable to go shooting as much as I would like, but I most certainly will post back here my testing results and the final solution/conclusion. Be advised it may take me a bit longer to get this done. I need to find a good victim, I mean volunteer to help me get this done.

Thanks again for all the genial succor with my shooting conundrum.

dw1911
07-16-2014, 12:33 AM
http://www.sdmfabricating.com/sightcalc.html
I have used it in the past to determine what the front sight correction needs to be. Shoot from sandbags at say, 50 feet. POA at center, measure POI and use this tool to see what's needed. Taller front sight = Lower POI. And Vice Versa

aqualungs
10-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Hi! I have a Vbob I bought quite a few months back. About 350 rounds through her like you. I must say mine is perfect. I've hit quite a few bullseyes and other shots stay in a 3-4" radius. I like the Heinie 8 sights very much compared to Novaks. Others at the range shot well, too. I also have spinal injury/damage, but thank god its mostly lower back. I hope it's just the wrong front sight and they get you fixed up, which I'm sure they will!

Here's my report

http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8686

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/fellbeast77/58dfc8ece0005874a6bc7174c9eccbb0_zpse64e4851.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/user/fellbeast77/media/58dfc8ece0005874a6bc7174c9eccbb0_zpse64e4851.jpg.h tml)

I used this picture as a reference when I first started shooting with these sights, but I'm sure you know what you re doing! ;)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/fellbeast77/2_zpsf7a2f9b5.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/user/fellbeast77/media/2_zpsf7a2f9b5.jpg.html)

Great gun and good luck!!