PDA

View Full Version : Terribly disappointed in Froglube

Shark1007
07-31-2014, 07:53 AM
I think they may have gotten too big for their britches. I have pushed their product to many and have been generally pleased. The old formula, after I did a large number of safe guns, started to grow some sort of moldy stuff in the weapons. I had to redo several days of work.

I sent am email last year to them, explaining the issue and explaining I am a disabled vet and I try to help my small 14 man Police dept here in Belle Isle Fl. I inquired if the had a killer or wholesale leo price and then inquired if I could buy 14 small kits and give them to the dept with some budget issues and I just like to help the business that created me and my desire to help folks.

I got a nice response "thank you for your service, we have a new formula that doesn't grow stuff and I have 14 packages enroute to you no charge" "tell me what size you have and I will replace yours too"

I was very happy, told the Chief. I have donated flashlights, and AR15 and other things because LEO is where I came from.

Nothing happened. Months later I emailed again, no response. Much later I sent two more, one to a manager asking just to replace the material I bought and no answer.

Sadly, even a company started by a fellow disabled vet can get too big to extend common courtesy or at least a reply. I'm embarrassed because I told the chief and hoped the company would subscribe to it's reputation and stand tall with it's promise.

As an aside, it really seems to gum up the 1911's and the slide racks slowly anyone had that issue? I think I need to go to some other product. It seems integrity is a lost art these days and real customer service is a thing of the past.

Does anyone have a contact at froglube that has any vestige of customer service or public mindedness? I hate to bash them, I've waited well over a year for a response. I thought I should let folks know my experience

AutoMag
07-31-2014, 08:13 AM
No contacts on my end, sorry!!

I also contacted FrogLube for a sample. My email was answered and I was assured a sample was on it's way to me. A year later, a few more unanswered emails and still nothing.

If it does arrive it will go right in the old circular file. Poor business strategy on their part. Supposedly started by a Navy SEAL, I have respect for him but not the business practices of the company.

I have seen a lot of reports where some love the product but more on the dislike for it.

GD2A
07-31-2014, 08:19 AM
I don't use it but it sure does smell nice. Sorry to hear about your lack of resolution. I'd be equally disappointed!

milkmanjoe
07-31-2014, 08:25 AM
I'm not gonna bash Froglube, but I never jump on board with new products. I let time test them first. I had enough of people telling me how great it was, but I wouldn't "warm up" to having to heat my weapons. Somehow it bothers me like the .308 rounds that were once coated and gummed up rifle chambers. I lube my guns with Mobil1 as oil and Lubriplate as grease. Clean 'em, inspect 'em, oil 'em/grease'em, time tested and proven, no gimmicks. Call me old school but I have no complaints, my guns aren't moldy or gummed up.

sdmc530
07-31-2014, 09:22 AM
Sorry you had that. CS can make or break a company even if the product is not top knotch. I don't use it so I have no impute on that. I use CLP and Eezox...both great...if it ain't broke don't fix it :)

MajO
07-31-2014, 09:27 AM
I have been using Frog Lube for a few years and like it very much. I am not sure what the "new" formula is, but the product seems to work pretty well. I would write their CEO and ask him what has changed with their customer service folks. Good luck.:mob:

Shadow
07-31-2014, 09:35 AM
I have been using FrogLube for almost 2 years now and absolutely LOVE it! Despite recent complaints regarding the product becoming "gummy" I have not experienced that. Consensus is that it is not being completely wiped down after application. There is an excellent review (3 yrs old) from a COTEP member here on the forum, including detailed instructions and photos for anyone wanting to give it a try. http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=422 My own experiences are identical to the review.

Once you use it several times on a gun nothing sticks, cleaning is quick and easy. Bonus is the pleasant smell. I don't find the smell of Hoppes appealing and solvents and gun scrubber are absolute hell on manicured nails :) Warming the gun in the sun or with a hair dryer the first couple times helps with the application. It is not necessary to "bake it in the oven".

I regularly detail strip and clean each individual part in my Glocks, just because I can, but have not yet had the guts to detail strip my compact 1911, (Springfield EMP). It's hard for me to learn how just with manual or You Tube, much easier to be shown in person, step by step. For now I have to settle for field stripping and using q-tips in all the nooks and crannys.

I have found customer service to be quite helpful on the phone. For pressing issues or questions I prefer to call than email.

JMHO

milkmanjoe
07-31-2014, 09:45 AM
I have been using FrogLube for almost 2 years now and absolutely LOVE it! Despite recent complaints regarding the product becoming "gummy" I have not experienced that. Consensus is that it is not being completely wiped down after application. There is an excellent review (3 yrs old) from a COTEP member here on the forum, including detailed instructions and photos for anyone wanting to give it a try. http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=422 My own experiences are identical to the review.

Once you use it several times on a gun nothing sticks, cleaning is quick and easy. Bonus is the pleasant smell. I don't find the smell of Hoppes appealing and solvents and gun scrubber are absolute hell on manicured nails :) Warming the gun in the sun or with a hair dryer the first couple times helps with the application. It is not necessary to "bake it in the oven".

I regularly detail strip and clean each individual part in my Glocks, just because I can, but have not yet had the guts to detail strip my compact 1911, (Springfield EMP). It's hard for me to learn how just with manual or You Tube, much easier to be shown in person, step by step. For now I have to settle for field stripping and using q-tips in all the nooks and crannys.

I have found customer service to be quite helpful on the phone. For pressing issues or questions I prefer to call than email.

JMHO

So that's why your guns are always zapping at flies when we go to the range!...funny

MPDC
07-31-2014, 09:58 AM
I use it too but I clean and apply relatively frequently. Never been a problem for me. I am disappointed that their CS and EMail performance is, in fact, "moldy".scold

Caleb
07-31-2014, 10:06 AM
I never jumped on the frog train......too many steps to apply. I prefer RandCLP, works great. Joe's oldschool way is proven, cheap, and will be around for years. I use this technique on my rifles.

Good luck bro, hope it works out for you.....if not, there are plenty of other products out there.

Shadow
07-31-2014, 10:18 AM
I never jumped on the frog train......too many steps to apply. I prefer RandCLP, works great. Joe's oldschool way is proven, cheap, and will be around for years. I use this technique on my rifles.

Good luck bro, hope it works out for you.....if not, there are plenty of other products out there.
What steps? warming it up? Just have to do that first couple of times. Thereafter cleaning is much easier since nothing sticks.

Shadow
07-31-2014, 10:25 AM
So that's why your guns are always zapping at flies when we go to the range!...funny
http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s472/shady711/frog_zps3cd91b83.gif Wait for it... :D

titanse05
07-31-2014, 10:34 AM
I'm a fan of Froglube and use it exclusively in my ARs. After the initial application it is just like any other lube. The main advantages for me is that the lube stays put on the bolt carrier group when my ARs are stored vertically in my safe (doesn't run like all other lubes) and the ease of cleanup. I haven't had any issues with gumming up but then again I followed directions and didn't install dripping wet like other lubes. I have only used the liquid version and found that it meets my every need.

I use FP10 on my pistols and will continue to do so because it does a great job.

As far as the OP's issue with customer service, that is certainly disappointing!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

milkmanjoe
07-31-2014, 11:05 AM
http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s472/shady711/frog_zps3cd91b83.gif Wait for it... :D

hehehehehehe....

AdamG247 (Navy-Ret)
07-31-2014, 12:24 PM
Used it and found it to be more work than its worth. Just my humble opinion. It did start to get sticky and was slowing the action down enough to indicate to me sooner or later the action will freeze up. Was a tad bit too close to a nightmare to remove completely.

Went back to my regular lube I get from Wilson and never looked back. Something about the product having to be put on so precisely and if you mess up the application your gun may not go bang is really the reason I backed away. Why make it complicated? Just keep your guns wet all the time and you will have no problems. Except perhaps some oil stains on your clothes....

KISS principle always prevails..

Caleb
07-31-2014, 12:27 PM
What steps? warming it up? Just have to do that first couple of times. Thereafter cleaning is much easier since nothing sticks.

Yep...that. Two or three drops of RandCLP and I'm done. Clean up is easy as well, usually just a wioe down with the swabs.

Shadow
07-31-2014, 01:14 PM
I just spoke to the folks at FrogLube. They explained if the gun is not prepped the first time to remove all trace of petroleum products it can become sticky/gummy. That is why they recommend degreasing with alcohol first. If it is clean down to the bare metal, correct application of FrogLube will NOT result in any stickiness. It makes sense that there could be a reaction to mixing both types of products.

To prove to myself there is no problem, I just took out of the safe my old S&W Mod-36. After having been used with solvents/oil for 30 years, it was prepped and cleaned with FrogLube almost two years ago. It has not been touched, lubed or fired in that time. Not a bit of stickiness whatsoever, nor on any of the other guns that have been "frogged" over the past two years.

Lastly, I pointed out a section on the website instructions that are somewhat vague about prepping for the first time. It will be brought to the attention of the powers that be and will be corrected. I will follow for these changes.

milkmanjoe
07-31-2014, 01:23 PM
I just spoke to the folks at FrogLube. They explained if the gun is not prepped the first time to remove all trace of petroleum products it can become sticky/gummy. That is why they recommend degreasing with alcohol first. If it is clean down to the bare metal, correct application of FrogLube will NOT result in any stickiness. It makes sense that there could be a reaction to mixing both types of products.

To prove to myself there is no problem, I just took out of the safe my old S&W Mod-36. After having been used with solvents/oil for 30 years, it was prepped and cleaned with FrogLube almost two years ago. It has not been touched, lubed or fired in that time. Not a bit of stickiness whatsoever, nor on any of the other guns that have been "frogged" over the past two years.

Lastly, I pointed out a section on the website instructions that are somewhat vague about prepping for the first time. It will be brought to the attention of the powers that be and will be corrected. I will follow for these changes.

They still need to change the name or it ain't going on my guns. :D

Shadow
07-31-2014, 01:47 PM
They still need to change the name or it ain't going on my guns. :D

Hey Joe.... http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s472/shady711/Smileys/Sticking-out-tongue_zpsae2158a4.jpg~original

milkmanjoe
07-31-2014, 02:20 PM
Hey Joe.... http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s472/shady711/Smileys/Sticking-out-tongue_zpsae2158a4.jpg~original

funny

MPDC
07-31-2014, 02:40 PM

The "BRONX CHEER" ! :wave:

Shark1007
07-31-2014, 11:14 PM
Shadow

There was a known issue with the first iteration of froglube growing mold looking stuff. They promised to replace the eight ounce containers and I threw the old ones away waiting for the new ones to arrive. I waited months and responded again, resending the original email. I waited months and no response and my last nudge was about a year from the first communication and still no response from a supervisor. Heck, I've used the stuff so long I'm on hair dryer number two.

On the mold growing with the first formula, it required me to alcohol clean/strip several dozen guns and it took an entire week while I waited for the new product. I even talked my police supply into carrying the lube.

I'm as anal as they come with froglube instructions and have bottles of isopropyl alcohol lined up in the gun room. Despite that, on certain pistols I default to the old lubes I still have. One of my gun range/shops has an occasional employee tell me they don't like the stuff on a 1911 but the owner insists.

I guess I just got pissed and embarrassed because I told the police chief the good folks at froglube were sending 14 packages we could distribute to the officers and I waited and waited seemingly forever. You feel like an ass when you see the chief and hurry by so the subject doesn't come to "what happened to that froglube you were getting us?" My last email was unmistakable to them for sure. I made it clear I'd like the stuff replaced they promised and no free stuff for the police department.

Forgive my venting, but indeed I seems they have made it big time with the help of strong supporters like myself (I know I've given at least 6 kits to friends) and suddenly they don't care enough to respond to three or four emails.

Carl in GA
07-31-2014, 11:59 PM
I was a very satisfied Frog Lube user as long as I was shooting regularly every weekend. Then I hurt my shoulder and didn't make it to the range for over a month. The first time I racked the slide on a Frog Lubed gun that had been sitting for about six weeks and felt how gummy and slow the action was, I went back to my old CLP.

skosh69
08-01-2014, 12:11 AM
I have not tried it, nor am I going to. I've heard more negative comments than positive comments. I'll stick to FP-10 or CLP.

milkmanjoe
08-01-2014, 06:17 AM
Is it possible they grew too big too fast and don't have the financial resources to hire enough people to keep up with demands?

Hell, I would call them. Alot.

Shadow
08-01-2014, 06:47 AM
Is it possible they grew too big too fast and don't have the financial resources to hire enough people to keep up with demands?

Hell, I would call them. Alot.

I agree, call, ask for management. In my home based small business, while I would never intentionally ignore an email, phone calls get immediate attention.

Grizzman
08-02-2014, 03:35 AM
I tried it on my CCO over a year ago, and it worked pretty well at first, but after several range trips and re-application, it became gummy. I don't recall exactly how I prepped the parts, but I'm sure I used a liberal amount of Hoppes.

I decided that I didn't like the sluggishness of the slide, so I cleaned it well with Hoppes and went back to FP-10, but the sluggishness hasn't been completely eliminated. Luckily, it's still 100% reliable.

milkmanjoe
08-02-2014, 08:09 AM
I tried it on my CCO over a year ago, and it worked pretty well at first, but after several range trips and re-application, it became gummy. I don't recall exactly how I prepped the parts, but I'm sure I used a liberal amount of Hoppes.

I decided that I didn't like the sluggishness of the slide, so I cleaned it well with Hoppes and went back to FP-10, but the sluggishness hasn't been completely eliminated. Luckily, it's still 100% reliable.

It almost seems to me that people who shoot more often are experiencing the gumminess.

aloreman
08-02-2014, 08:54 AM
I love every year when new lubricating potions hit the market. I read an article written by the editor of handgunner magazine a few years ago and it said the best oil you can use is cheap free of available. I use whatever oil i can find on m guns and i grease them with wheel bearing grease. Think about it. How many of us have our fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers guns? They still work fine right? So they used 3N1 oil wd40 motor oil ect. We dont need to reinvent the wheel. round wheels are fine

brownie
08-02-2014, 09:08 AM
I prefer GunSlick for lubrication of moving parts myself, after years of using nothing more than fp10 with great success on a variety of guns over the years. On the M1a's, I use a heavier grease and not the Gunslick, yet the mini30 gets the gunslick and it runs great on it.

Sheepdog
08-02-2014, 10:08 AM
I love every year when new lubricating potions hit the market. I read an article written by the editor of handgunner magazine a few years ago and it said the best oil you can use is cheap free of available. I use whatever oil i can find on m guns and i grease them with wheel bearing grease. Think about it. How many of us have our fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers guns? They still work fine right? So they used 3N1 oil wd40 motor oil ect. We don't need to reinvent the wheel. round wheels are fine

They didn't boil them in ultrasonic cleaners either. My personal opinion is that some people take gun cleaning to extremes. KISS

Shark1007
08-02-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm with ya guys, if Dad came back from the grave and walked in on me humped over a workbench, heating a 1911 with a hairdryer and smearing spearmint smelling goo on with a toothbrush, I can imagine his face.

He would say "puppy, give me the singer sewing machine oil and throw that foo foo in the garbage" then if I told him what I paid he would grab his chest.....

milkmanjoe
08-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Like I said......Mobil 1 and Lubriplate
Take it apart, wipe it down, brush the barrel grooves, pull a rag through, grease/oil as needed, re-assemble, utilize.
Inspect parts for wear/cracks/chips during process, ya gotta look at 'em anyway.

I have to admit that I am thinking about an ultrasonic cleaner for real detail cleaning. Intrigued is a better word.

MPDC
08-02-2014, 07:28 PM
OTOH, Froggy lube keeps wifey happy. Smells good and if you aren't using her oven to "cure" your guns, she don't care! :D

Shadow
08-03-2014, 04:47 AM
I have to admit that I am thinking about an ultrasonic cleaner for real detail cleaning. Intrigued is a better word.

Hey Joe, me too! Harbor Freight has a 2.5 liter ultrasonic on sale, http://t.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html less the 20% coupon??? interesting! Hmmm, wonder how FrogLube would work in there :D

milkmanjoe
08-03-2014, 07:42 AM
Hey Joe, me too! Harbor Freight has a 2.5 liter ultrasonic on sale, http://t.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html less the 20% coupon??? interesting! Hmmm, wonder how FrogLube would work in there :D

Interesting, and I'll be up in Delray this week. I suspect Caryn and Caryle will be using it for jewelry, Joseph and Seth will come up with several boy things they need it for and I'll never see it once I get it home. :D

Shadow
08-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Interesting, and I'll be up in Delray this week. I suspect Caryn and Caryle will be using it for jewelry, Joseph and Seth will come up with several boy things they need it for and I'll never see it once I get it home. :D

Get a small one off eBay for jewelry, about $25 I think I paid. Works GREAT for eyeglasses with about a tsp of Mr. Clean or other all purpose cleaner. Brownell's has gun cleaning solution by the gallon.

Don't think I would want to put my jewelry in the same unit used for cleaning guns... Yuk