PDA

View Full Version : Valor (2008) cleaning and lube

dwsmithjr
08-16-2014, 09:08 AM
I bought one of the early Valors, "V8" so, I believe, 2008. I understand they changed the coating to a "treatment" in 2010 and beyond. I also read that there are some cleaning products that will damage the coating.

Question: Does this go for both the earlier as well as the later finish on the Valor?

I use Hoppes #9 solvent for the barrel, polymer safe Gun Scrubber and FP-10 for cleaning along with Rem Oil for just wiping down the outside. So far, I've never had any issue with any of those products damaging a gun or it's finish.

The guns I have have either been blued steel, Sig's Nitron finish, anodized aluminum, stainless steel or a coating used by Cummings Custom Refinishing called Cera-Hide. None of these finishes have ever been adversely affected by any cleaning products I've used.

Question: Do any of these products pose a potential problem for the early Valor finish?

Finally, I mostly use Brian Enos' Slide Glide for lubrication. Many people don't like using grease especially on tight 1911s, but especially with the "lite" version of Slide Glide, I've not had a problem except on occasion in the winter when it's well below freezing. On occasion I've used Hoppes #9 lubricating oil when lighter lube is required.

I'm open to using different products. I just want to make sure I don't damage the finish inadvertently.

Any suggestions for cleaning and lubing regimen? I would prefer not to have to use different products for different guns. There's too much a danger of mixing up products and I would have to spend more on more products.

The one product to which I'm probably most attached is the Slide Glide.

jmlutz
08-16-2014, 03:12 PM
You should be just fine using the products you listed. I've got an 09 Valor, never had a problem with the finish.
As far as the cleaning and lubing goes I've always done it after every shooting session or if the gun has set up for a while. I've used the Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube for a long time, MiliTech 1 is very good also.Any of the good solvents work well. I use the same stuff on all my guns.

TLE2
08-16-2014, 03:43 PM
I use Mobil One.

Grizzman
08-16-2014, 06:13 PM
I've been using Hoppes on my '09s since new and haven't experienced any issues either. These early Valors and CCOs used Cerakote as the finish, in case you want to Google further.

While I haven't personally used Slide Glide, I've heard good things about it. Mine have been quite tolerant of different lubrication. I've used FP-10, TW-45B, Wilson Ultima-Lube, and even Mobile 1 with perfect results.

dwsmithjr
08-17-2014, 07:09 AM
I've been using Hoppes on my '09s since new and haven't experienced any issues either. These early Valors and CCOs used Cerakote as the finish, in case you want to Google further.

While I haven't personally used Slide Glide, I've heard good things about it. Mine have been quite tolerant of different lubrication. I've used FP-10, TW-45B, Wilson Ultima-Lube, and even Mobile 1 with perfect results.

I have a friend, a 1911 gunsmith who builds custom guns. He gets absolutely irate when I bring him a 1911 with grease on the rails. Then he patiently shows me how he recommends lubing the rails, with just a drop of oil which he then allows to run down the grove, a drop in a couple of other places, and that's it.

Still, I started using it because I shoot SIGs and they absolutely need a good grease for the alloy frames. I don't know about other alloy frame guns, but the rails on the SIGs will wear right down to the shiny aluminum if you don't use grease. That's not a good thing. I think it's the coating they use on the slides, the Nitron. The folder steel slides didn't seem to have that problem as much and the one gun I had with the k-kote finish was fine. I think perhaps the Ilafon finish is also good.

Anyway, I just started using Slide-glide after reading a book by Brian Enos and use it on everything. I'm probably a bit liberal with it, but it still works well and the "lite" version is very good. I keep a container of each. The feel of the movement of the slide with the Slide Glide is just a think of beauty, almost a sensuous experience!

UZO8
08-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Using grease on 1911s is kinda a personal thing and something you might want to experiment with...
Personally, I just clean and lube my 1911s and don't use grease. If you talk with any of the 'custom' 1911 shops (Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, etc) they definitely DO NOT recommend using grease on their pistolas... so that tells me something!
Again, you may want to experiment and see what works for you.

dw1911
08-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Wilson Ultima Lube II Universal for Me. Slick, and stays put!
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ultima-Lube-II-Universal-4-oz-Bottle/productinfo/578-4/

DrHenley
08-18-2014, 09:42 PM
I used straight Wilson Ultima-Lube until one cold day at an IDPA match my slide slowed down so much you could watch it cycle and was jamming like crazy.
Now I use a thin base layer of the Ultima-Lube, but use Mobil1 on top of it. I have also mixed the Ultima-Lube with Mobil1. On some guns I just use straight Mobil1.

dw1911
08-18-2014, 10:48 PM
I used straight Wilson Ultima-Lube until one cold day at an IDPA match my slide slowed down so much you could watch it cycle and was jamming like crazy.
Now I use a thin base layer of the Ultima-Lube, but use Mobil1 on top of it. I have also mixed the Ultima-Lube with Mobil1. On some guns I just use straight Mobil1.

Which Ultima Lube? There's different viscositys of it. There's Lite OIL, ( VeryThin) Oil ( Thin)
Universal ( Thicker) and Grease ( Like 50 wt )
I Like 2 drops on each rail of Universal in warm weather ( Above 60 degrees )
Below that, Oil. Thin stuff. Or sometimes if colder I use FP-10.
Ultima-Lube II is Available in Four Formulations:

Ultima-Lube II Lite Oil - Very low viscosity. Ideal for extreme cold weather use. Recommended Uses: Tightly fitted handguns of minor caliber.

Ultima-Lube II Oil - Thin viscosity penetrates hard to get to areas. Ideal for cold weather use, 10° to 350° F temperature range. Recommended Uses: Tightly fitted handguns of all types.

Ultima-Lube II Universal - All purpose lube for all types of firearms. Stays put under extreme conditions, 40° to 350° F temperature range. Recommended Uses: Service pistols/revolvers and broken-in custom handguns, Long guns of all action types, AR style rifles in the 20° to 50° F temperature range.

Ultima-Lube II Grease - Ideal for heavy wear areas. Stays put under extreme conditions, 40° to 350° F temperature range. Recommended Uses: Full and Semi-Auto rifles and carbines, Optimal in AR style rifles at temperatures above 50° F.