PDA

View Full Version : An Honor and Privilege

Iggy
11-22-2011, 08:44 PM
A couple of weeks ago I got an e-mail from MstSgt. C. L. Harding, USMC. He strongly suggested that Itchy and I present ourselves at his home on Camp Pendleton on the 18th of the month.
A suit or tuxedo would be required. Well I din't have either one but he din't seem to be in the mood to accept excuses. So Itchy and I got some town duds and headed for CA.

To make a long story short, we had the honor and privilege of attending the Marine Birthday Ball held by the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force HQ staff.
This was the first time my son could take his family with him thus the summons to appear.

Now you ol Marines know this by heart but some of us weedhummers ain't up to speed so bear with me.

Attending the ball was an extraordinary privilege and experience. To be in the presence of so many true patriots and warriors was inspiring and at the same time humbling.
One of the traditions at the Birthday ball is the CO cuts the birthday cake with a sabre and gives the first piece to the OLDEST MARINE in the unit. That dude was a Lt. Colonel born in 1956!!!! You wanna talk about feeling like an old geezer, well that done it for sure.
Then the oldest Marine gives the second piece of the cake to the youngest Marine in the unit. He was born in 1992. Holy Carp that was last week wasn't it? This tradition symbolizes the passing of knowledge and traditions down through the ages of the Marine Corps.

I can tell you for plumb certain, it was an honor to stand there with my Son and his family, among those young men and women and watch the presenting of the colors and all of the other ceremonies that took place.

While there at Camp Pendleton, I saw new recruits on their first day in boot camp, and I saw new Privates walking with their parents at the conclusion of a graduation ceremony. The change in those youngsters both physically and mentally was astounding.

We are in good hands friends. I seen them personal, and I feel a whole bunch better about our future than I have for years. America is still producing the kind of men and women you and I have so admired from the past.

I can also tell you that ol Iggy was swole up with pride like a poisoned pup ever time Cody introduced me as his Dad to his Marine counterparts.

It was a good weekend.

NAMVET72
11-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Iggy that Is a True Honor...........

Clyde

Riverpigusmc
11-22-2011, 10:16 PM
"Swole up like a poisened pup"..my wife gets on me EVERY time I've used that phrase:D Semper Fi to your son, Iggy

Snipersnest
11-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Your son makes your heart soar like a hawk. Congratulations on being the proud parent of a U.S.Marine!

skosh69
11-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Great story, made my eyes water!! What a great experience for you and the missus' to share with your son and his family!

The part at the end, where you were taking note of the new recruits and the just graduated, reminded me of when my mom came to my graduation at Ft. Knox, KY and how much that meant to both her and to myself.

Please pass on our sediments to your son of how proud all of us here at Cotep are for him serving and that we hope that he stays clear of harms way.

God bless him and his family!

ellison