PDA

View Full Version : EDC History: Saladin’s Sword

brownie
08-19-2014, 09:26 AM
http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/08/11/edc-history-saladins-sword/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2014-08-19&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Saladin’s sword, however, is the thing that interests us gear geeks the most. The key to the sword was the use of wootz. Wootz steel was originally made in India. The steel was then adapted and made in Syria, around Damascus, and it became known for its place of origin. Unlike the pattern welded varieties that exist today, wootz-based damascus steel was materially different from other steels, not just a pretty pattern made from combining different metals in layers. The process produced a very high carbon content steel. The techniques used to produce wootz steel were unknown in Europe, and thus no European steel could match Saladin’s blade. There are legends of its cutting performance. Many sources claim that Saladin’s sword could clean cut falling silk or slice a pillow in half. The steel was also said to be able to cleave European steels in two and still have a razor edge. Undoubtedly a good deal of this is just mythmaking, but its not all baloney, and scientists have recently figured out why. -

edgehill
08-19-2014, 10:39 AM
It would be cool if someone figured out how it was done. They would make a mint.

brownie
08-19-2014, 10:45 AM
It would be cool if someone figured out how it was done. They would make a mint.

Once the formula is known to some makers, I'd expect some to try to unlock the formula [ % of each ingredient ] by experimentation until through testing they are confident their steels are duplicating performance of the original steel.

I know some makers have experimented with making wootz but without the knowledge of this latest discovery of materials used. We may one day see wootz offered on high end custom blades. I'd be interested depending on the maker offering it. :cool:

milkmanjoe
08-19-2014, 03:23 PM
The blade to kill all other blades/steel. Like TV coming to life.

brownie
08-19-2014, 04:51 PM
The blade to kill all other blades/steel. Like TV coming to life.

:toast: